Need an exhaust?

This is a discussion on Need an exhaust? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Bout a month back I was working on my other car with a angle grinder in hand. I looked over ...

Pewter
    99 Camaro Z28

Question Need an exhaust?

Bout a month back I was working on my other car with a angle grinder in hand. I looked over at the Z and the crooked exhaust tip that had been bothering me since May was calling my name. I jacked op the car and got this great idea to hack the exhaust from in front of the axle back. I put a turn down before the rear tire. It made sense to me that this would flow better than the stock exhaust until I got my headers and aftermarket exhaust. It has become more apparent to me that this maynot be the case, or maybe it is????

This is the issue.. After the "hack" mod, the first to second WOT shift produced alomost like an exhaust gas build up in the pipe that lets loose soon after the shift. It wasn't that noticable until I installed my 80mm TB and MAF housing Friday. Now, launching the car, the first to second shift produces almost a bottle neck type effect that pushes out a small cloud of black smoke before the shift completes. It doesn't have a backfire type noise, more like a thud. Was the stock exhaust actually good enough? Is there some type of under lying problem? Using EFI Live I a have disabled all emissions equip, deleted TQ management, abuse mode and shift press and firmness. Could this have to do w/ anything. Timing and fuel have not been touched, waiting for my LC-1.

Let me know if getting a cat back might help or whatever ideas you guys may have...

white
    2002 z28

lots do what you just did. it called a exhaust dump, befroe the axel. on post you didnt say if the headers where installed yet or if it was tuned. after header installs there is some kind of problems and the TB could do that to a lil. but my guess is that it has to be tuned if not already.

Pewter
    99 Camaro Z28

I have ran dumps many times on other cars of mine. I am using stock manifolds and exhaust.

Installed Mods are as follow:
    80mm TB
    K&N FIPK
    Ported MAF Housing
    EFI LIVE (No EGR, No AIR, No Abuse Mod, No TQ Management and Modified Trans)

Would I really need to go in and do a dyno tune after just these few mods?

I guess the real ? is.. Is there some type of scavaging effect that a cat back would have that would be an advantage over the small diameter mid pipe w/ a turn down? I know the best choice would be LTs with true duals, which is the plan, but the funds are low at the moment..

white
    2002 z28

just save up and TD ; s are great but even with a LT and cat back its great set up.

Thread Information