Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Need engine fast!

This is a discussion on Need engine fast! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; just exploring the choices and looking for oppinions...

Impounded
    just exploring the choices and looking for oppinions

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I think I see something here. Do you mean just order a LS1 short block that is 04' or above and finish building with whatever LS6 parts I want/have and I will have built my own LS6?
    Yep, that exactly what I'm doing now I have a basically new short block out of an 02 z06 I picked up and I'm getting the original 243 heads for it and it will be going into my car this summer. You could just pickup and 04 ls1 block or z06 short block and add the 243 heads to it and your done... If you get the ls1 shortblock you will need an ls6 cam or bigger also lol but you get the idea. This is why I'm confused on the block thing they still make the ls1 so the ls6's should still have blocks... The ls2 isnt all that hard to put in (read my post on pg 2) just need a couple wire extensions, its no big deal and its plug n play but the real advantage of the ls2 comes if you want to add heads and a cam then options like l92 heads and bigger cams make it a better motor. However if its a bolt on car and a DD the ls6 is a better choice for more power.

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    just exploring the choices and looking for oppinions
    I gotcha, ya thats my take on the lq4 its a great motor to build from the ground up but not a good stock replacement motor. 400rwhp from a bolt on ls6 would have you grinning from ear to ear for a while lol.

Impounded
    now i just need to find one...

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

what about the rebuilt one on ebay? would you be open to a low mileage used one also?
    Last edited by redbird555; 04-20-2011 at 08:57 AM.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

I agree with firebird Jones, forged ls1 shortblock from tx speed,ls6 cam,maybe even a set of cnc'd 243,ls6 intake and run with that,oh and maybe a new oil pump and stuff,is buy all the lil stuff new,water pump,power steering etc.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by bpopham22 View Post
    I agree with firebird Jones, forged ls1 shortblock from tx speed,ls6 cam,maybe even a set of cnc'd 243,ls6 intake and run with that,oh and maybe a new oil pump and stuff,is buy all the lil stuff new,water pump,power steering etc.
    That would run up to $6k real quick though which might be out of the op's budget and the only advantage it would have is a slightly stronger rotating assembly and a few more ponies in the heads because the ls6 cam really couldnt utilize the cfm they are capable of flowing. There are a few ls2 longblocks for sale on ebay and theres another option although I would still take an ls6 if I could.
    Last edited by redbird555; 04-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.

red
    2001 pontiac WS6

Well shit what's a crate ls1 run?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

complete with all the electronics? 5500 just the longblock like you would get from tsp or comparable to the ls6 longblock? 2600

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Well shit what's a crate ls1 run?
    crate ls1 is $2600....all you need to do is bolt up your accessory drive and intake and little shit like that...

Impounded
    i can get the crate ls1 from a local GM dealership for $3200 just needs intake and pulley
    i would take a used ls6 for the right price....
    but again id like to have a warranty

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

i can get the crate ls1 from a local GM dealership for $3200 just needs intake and pulley
    i would take a used ls6 for the right price....
    but again id like to have a warranty
    I hear ya there is always that one rebuilt ls6 on fleabay.... How much is an ls6 from the dealer? They should still have some because there are still people running around with those engines in relatively new cars...

Impounded
    im going with the LS6 long block. the warranty looks convincing and it only had 11000 when it came out of the 04 Z06 that they are parting out. the Longblock costs around $2900 he said he would deal with me if i paid cash and picked it up this weekend in nashville. he said it should be finished by friday and he could have the specs of the rebuild for me then.

but i will call and check tom at the local GM dealer

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    That would run up to $6k real quick though which might be out of the op's budget and the only advantage it would have is a slightly stronger rotating assembly and a few more ponies in the heads because the ls6 cam really couldnt utilize the cfm they are capable of flowing. There are a few ls2 longblocks for sale on ebay and theres another option although I would still take an ls6 if I could.
    I suggested it because the original poster originally said he wanted to tear a new short block down for better internals. It made no sense to buy a new motor only to replace the rotating assembly anyway,,,,know what I mean?? He would actually spend more money buying a new motor that wasn't what he wanted, only to replace all the guts.

Buy it done the way you want and save yourself alot of headaches. Then you can top it off with what ever you want.

See,,,you have to have a dead set decision made on what you want out of a motor in order to pick a direction to go. It seems the original poster just isn't sure what way he wants to go.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I suggested it because the original poster originally said he wanted to tear a new short block down for better internals. It made no sense to buy a new motor only to replace the rotating assembly anyway,,,,know what I mean?? He would actually spend more money buying a new motor that wasn't what he wanted, only to replace all the guts.

Buy it done the way you want and save yourself alot of headaches. Then you can top it off with what ever you want.

See,,,you have to have a dead set decision made on what you want out of a motor in order to pick a direction to go. It seems the original poster just isn't sure what way he wants to go.
    Jones, I fully support that decision and it's exactly what I would do if I knew exactly what I wanted however the op doesnt seem to know exactly what he wants, and may not have the experience to decide (no offense op) he needs a motor now and will not be doing the upgrades if he does them for a while. Let's say these upgrades are 3 years off from now, between now and then maybe he decides he doesnt want to go FI but instead maybe H/C in that case forged internals arent as big of a deal.

Also something else to think about if he has a motor that is built for forced induction but isnt going to do it right away he would most likely have a custom cam for boost, and lower compression those two things definitely dont make for a good street motor so he maybe SOL for a while with that route.

Lets say he does get a cutom motor from tsp and pieces it together with his seperate head and cam choice then he goes fi, and for whatever reason the motor blows. Do you think tsp would honor the warranty? I dont think so for one they would have no idea how the rest of the motor went together or if it even had a good tune. If you go with an ls6 for now the warranty should be ok as long as he doesnt go nuts with it and in the future you could simply lower the compression of the motor, MAYBE swap the cam if you wanted and push 10lbs no problem with the internals...

Well if forced induction is in the works, I'd definately decide that now and do it all at once. It's a hefty price tag but I've never found holding off for 2-3 years beneficial in terms of the engine build direction.

I build all my stuff with forged goodies anyway just to run NA I really don't trust that cast stuff too much above 6-6500 for too long. Especially if I like to lean on it alot.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well if forced induction is in the works, I'd definately decide that now and do it all at once. It's a hefty price tag but I've never found holding off for 2-3 years beneficial in terms of the engine build direction.

I build all my stuff with forged goodies anyway just to run NA I really don't trust that cast stuff too much above 6-6500 for too long. Especially if I like to lean on it alot.
    Ya he has brought up FI a few time doing all of that now could easily run up the build to 10k with a blower and all. Idk if the op' budget would allow for that plus 400whp right now is probably all his stock rear can take and should be good for a 116 or so trap...

Impounded
    yeah well i dnt plan on hot rodding this thing....asss much
    but if the block doesnt handle the punishment...it has a 5 year 100000 mile warranty
    after that warranty ends...ill be out of college...

Ya this stuff always happens when you weren't planning

Unfortunately when it happens that way, you have to open up the wallet.

Impounded
    yeah its gonna be filled with spider webs in a few days

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

yeah well i dnt plan on hot rodding this thing....asss much
    but if the block doesnt handle the punishment...it has a 5 year 100000 mile warranty
    after that warranty ends...ill be out of college...
    sounds like a good plan and as said 10 psi would be no issue with a good tune if you decide you waqnt to go that route... let us know what happens

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information