Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Need engine fast!

This is a discussion on Need engine fast! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by jiveass crateenginedepot has ls6 for $3600 and ls1 for $2600.....i would send the link but my work ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    crateenginedepot has ls6 for $3600 and ls1 for $2600.....i would send the link but my work computer is blocking the site
    I just talked with their CS. They are off the market as of yesterday. It still shows them on their website but it is in the process of taking it down.

Their supplier ran up the price because GM discontinued the block. He wants $4500 per block with a $800 core charge. Crate Engine guys said they couldn't do that to their customers so they quit offering it.

They still have LQ9's but their rep said that I would be taking a step back in power. I'm not sure if he understood that I was going to take it apart anyways and build it up. But he did say they do have LS2's starting at $4200 up to $5600 depending on the yr.

Well this is a nasty surprise. I was planning on a LS6 for my future build. Now I need to rethink this. I'm not sure if I want to do a LS2 upgrade. I need to research it. Besides a new PCM and wire harness what else is involved? Will my LS6 Intake and LT's fit or will I need new stuff?

sorry it's that kinda day!!!

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

well shit....looks like ill stick with the ls1 crate......or perhaps this

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/2331838202.html

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I just talked with their CS. They are off the market as of yesterday. It still shows them on their website but it is in the process of taking it down.

Their supplier ran up the price because GM discontinued the block. He wants $4500 per block with a $800 core charge. Crate Engine guys said they couldn't do that to their customers so they quit offering it.

They still have LQ9's but their rep said that I would be taking a step back in power. I'm not sure if he understood that I was going to take it apart anyways and build it up.
    I was going to say I was just there over the weekend looking at 502 crate motors and still saw the LS6 listed. Guess that's a no go now.

If you plan to buy something and tear it down for a stout build, you may as well buy the short blocks done and ready to go with forged goodies from Texas speed. They actually sell 402's and 408's very reasonable when you consider what you are getting.
    Trust me, if you price all that out and try to do it yourself you will come in the same ballpark price range, and you'll be chasing parts all over town to do it. Get the short block dropped at your door step ready to go, then stick on a set of cylinder heads of your choice.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

They still have LQ9's but their rep said that I would be taking a step back in power. I'm not sure if he understood that I was going to take it apart anyways and build it up. But he did say they do have LS2's starting at $4200 up to $5600 depending on the yr.

Well this is a nasty surprise. I was planning on a LS6 for my future build. Now I need to rethink this. I'm not sure if I want to do a LS2 upgrade. I need to research it. Besides a new PCM and wire harness what else is involved? Will my LS6 Intake and LT's fit or will I need new stuff?

Yes all that stuff fits honesty if you were looking for bolt on power I'd just do an ls2 4700 minus your 1200 core charge puts you around 3500 for a rebuilt one from crate engine depot. all you then need is a knock sensor extension harness and your good to go make sure to get the 05 ls2 though so you dont need to buy a reluctor wheel converter box.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    Yes all that stuff fits honesty if you were looking for bolt on power I'd just do an ls2 4700 minus your 1200 core charge puts you around 3500 for a rebuilt one from crate engine depot. all you then need is a knock sensor extension harness and your good to go make sure to get the 05 ls2 though so you dont need to buy a reluctor wheel converter box.
    You have to already have a LS2 in order to get the core refunded.

From what I've read in the last hr I would also need to get a new PCM and WH.

I'll confirm with Frost or Tampa Tuning on that when I get ready to pull the trigger.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

You have to already have a LS2 in order to get the core refunded.

From what I've read in the last hr I would also need to get a new PCM and WH.

I'll confirm with Frost or Tampa Tuning on that when I get ready to pull the trigger.
    Crate engine depot is pretty flexible about what they take back I've heard of many people getting away with shipping back their old ls1 for whatever ls engine they bought, ask them to be sure but they are usually pretty good. And who told you need a new pcm? The ls2 uses either a 24x reluctor wheel like an ls1 or a 58x if you get an 05 motor or an early 06 you will have a 24x reluctor wheel and all will be good if u get a 58x motor you will need a lingenfelter conversion box to use your stock pcm other than that your fine.... An ls2 pcm is very different from the fbody one and will not work.

The wiring for an ls2 is virtually the same as long as you use an ls6 intake/injectors and coils. The ls2 coils are different but you can just use your ls1 coils, then on the ls2 intake the injectors are different and the map sensor is on the front but once again use your stock ls6 manifold and the map sensor is in the right place and the injectors are good so no changes there. The only thing you will need for an ls2 wiring into an fbody is a cam extension harness because the cam sensor is on the front of the motor, and the knock sensor extension harness because the ls2 has the sensors on the side of the block....

Crate engine depot is pretty flexible about what they take back I've heard of many people getting away with shipping back their old ls1 for whatever ls engine they bought, .
    Well isn't that just lovely. Fraud at it's finest. All of us honest people end up paying for that.

Impounded
    whoa whoa whoa...
    firebirdjones and redbird555
    am i hearing a change in suggestions?

Not that I'm aware of. I only tossed out the avenue I would take since you mentioned you wanted to tear the engine down for better internals anyway.

No sense in buying a new LS2 crate from crateenginedepot only to tear it down and change everything. Might as well buy it built the way you want and save some headache,,,,and money.

Impounded
    hmmm.......... damn it GM...

red with black strips
    2000 trans am ws6

I'm new to the site and I can't figure out how to post my own questions. Will someone plz explain how. Thanks

Impounded
    go to the desired ... and relavent section and up near the top left is the a button reading "New Thread"

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Or go to the last post on the page and below it you will see a red button that says post reply..

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well isn't that just lovely. Fraud at it's finest. All of us honest people end up paying for that.
    Whoa whoa I'm not saying its right but if crate engine depot ok's it and the engine go off to be rebuilt as ls1 engine again then gets resold I dont see how its a huge deal seeing as another person is still getting a core that can be resold. Chances are there would be someone trading their ls2 core for an ls3 and the cycle repeats. I'm merely stating what others have done and what is sometimes allowed not that I've done it sorry if it sounded like I have.

And Basham I'm still standing by my engine choice of an ls6 one way or another you probably wont be doing a big build for a while and I personally think it maybe a bit much for you at the moment at least until you get some more experience no offense intended. Plus you even stated you need an engine now and a built motor isnt a 2 day deal. A stock ls6 will handle boost, stock internals are good for 12 lbs WITH A GOOD TUNE. So in the end you could do 10lbs safely with just a thicker head gasket and the ls6 cam is a great boost cam with it's wide lsa... Not to say there arent better aftermarket cams out there but its a good platform to start with. I still say the ls6 is a better option for you at the moment a crate ls2 will require the above changes I stated and in the end the ls6 is better suited for power with boost or bolt ons. Lower compression and a bigger cam= more boost which=more power. PLus even in the short run ls6's tend to make more power than the ls2's do.
    Last edited by redbird555; 04-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Impounded
    Whoa whoa I'm not saying its right but if crate engine depot ok's it and the engine go off to be rebuilt as ls1 engine again then gets resold I dont see how its a huge deal seeing as another person is still getting a core that can be resold. Chances are there would be someone trading their ls2 core for an ls3 and the cycle repeats. I'm merely stating what others have done and what is sometimes allowed not that I've done it sorry if it sounded like I have.

And Basham I'm still standing by my engine choice of an ls6 one way or another you probably wont be doing a big build for a while and I personally think it maybe a bit much for you at the moment at least until you get some more experience no offense intended. Plus you even stated you need an engine now and a built motor isnt a 2 day deal. A stock ls6 will handle boost, stock internals are good for 12 lbs WITH A GOOD TUNE. So in the end you could do 10lbs safely with just a thicker head gasket and the ls6 cam is a great boost cam with it's wide lsa... Not to say there arent better aftermarket cams out there but its a good platform to start with. I still say the ls6 is a better option for you at the moment a crate ls2 will require the above changes I stated and in the end the ls6 is better suited for power. Lower compression and a bigger cam= more boost which=more power. PLus even in the short run ls6's tend to make more power than the ls2's do.

are you reffering to my pm?

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

It just doesn't make sense. If GM wanted to cut inventory, they should have cut the LS1 and used the LS6 as a reduced price replacement.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    [/B]

are you reffering to my pm?
    what pm is that i havent gotten anything besides the where to buy the engines from this morning?

Impounded
    i pm'd u an lq4. hang on.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by parnelligq View Post
    It just doesn't make sense. If GM wanted to cut inventory, they should have cut the LS1 and used the LS6 as a reduced price replacement.
    I think the fact is that less people buy the ls6 now as it is currently more expensive and that is what they are basing the cancelation on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    i pm'd u an lq4. hang on.
    Ok I saw it. To me it looks like a stock lq4 there are no internal upgrades to it and the compression is only .5 of a point lower than an ls6. Besides that it weighs 80 lbs more and will make the same power as your ls1 does stock so if anything its going to make your car slower. Unless you worked it over before you put it in. The advantages of the lq4 are that you can run l92 heads later on if you want due to the 4.030" bore, you can jam a bigger cam in it and still have it streetable, and can be stroked to 408...Of course this is all kind of pointless if your looking to buy a motor already assembled seeing as you wouldnt buy the long block then build it up again.

The ls6 is 800 more on there for a rebuilt one correct? Here's what you get, a lighter motor, looks and sounds like stock for a sleeper factor, can handle some boost, better boost cam in the stock motor, more hp stock.
    Just wondering but what is your reasoning for wanting an lq4 block besides cost any reason? If its for boost i wouldnt waste the time an aluminum block will handle boost just fine hell look at the zr1 its not the block that fails its the internals and a lot of that is due to a bad tune and detonation.

Idk if I buy that and heres why.... GM still makes the ls1 crate engine correct? The 2004-current ls1's and ls6's have the SAME block they stopped producing the ls1 block and only used the ls6 design. So in that sense I dont know if the reply you got makes any sense. My opinion is the ls6 is losing sales to the ls3 platform or the cheaper and still powerful ls1.

Navy Blue Metallic

Idk if I buy that and heres why.... GM still makes the ls1 crate engine correct? The 2004-current ls1's and ls6's have the SAME block they stopped producing the ls1 block and only used the ls6 design. So in that sense I dont know if the reply you got makes any sense. My opinion is the ls6 is losing sales to the ls3 platform or the cheaper and still powerful ls1.

I think I see something here. Do you mean just order a LS1 short block that is 04' or above and finish building with whatever LS6 parts I want/have and I will have built my own LS6?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information