Pewter
    2002 WS6

Need ECT schematic for '02 WS6

My ECT sensor is malfunctioning while the car is cold. The dash gauge flops between dead cold and 140-150*, back and forth, causing idle to surge. I need to know which pins @ the PCM = the two wires at the ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor.

Help?

-Eagle

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Thanks NBM!!! Thats a great resource right there.

C1/74 YEL is one of the two wires @ the ECT which connect to the PCM. Is it safe to assume the other wire connects to ground?

You have any more links for schematics?

-Eagle

This has a circuit diagram description for a 2K - appears to be the same. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9062.php

Pewter
    2002 WS6

So it seems that C1/74 YEL and C1/80 BLK are the two wires I'm working with here, and that C1/80 indeed is a ground. NBM, you're the man.

Last question... how do I determine where the PCM gets the ground feed from for that C1/80 wire? Perhaps its lost the ground to properly close the circuit causing this weird behavior until the engine is warmed up?

-Eagle

Sorry, don't know - maybe someone will chime in. Wherever it comes from it's circuit 407, same as pins 53 and 54.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

So tonight I pulled out the PCM with the intent of testing the connections to the ECT sensor. But when I pulled off the connections I found this:

and this:

Cleaned it all out... I used a little bit of a light hobby wire brush, I used a metric shit ton of qtips and rubbing alky to clean out all the gook from the PCM, and then I used B-12 cleaner and compressed air to clean out the connector. I then took a lil tool I had from MIG welding, and cleaned out the INSIDE of each pin on that side of the blu connector to the PCM. Started it back up after everything was back in place, and it purrrrrrs like a kitten.

Turns out the blue connector's gasket was slightly out of place and was allowing in moisture. Is there any additional methods for weather proofing the PCM (seeing as it sits right under the rain gutter @ the passenger front windshield...

UGH.

-Eagle

Wow, surprised you didn't have other issues other than the ECT. You could get a PCM cover a lot of guys use to dress up the engine compartment, don't know how watertight they are though. www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53026

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad you got this worked out. If the gasket is in place properly I don't see why it wouldn't do it's job and keep moisture out. Was the gasket crushed at all? Might be able to just replace it with a new one and make sure it's installed correctly and be good to go.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    glad you got this worked out. If the gasket is in place properly I don't see why it wouldn't do it's job and keep moisture out. Was the gasket crushed at all? Might be able to just replace it with a new one and make sure it's installed correctly and be good to go.
    Yeah, thanks Orion! This issue had been plaguing me for over a month now... SO glad to finally have it licked.

On the bright side, I bought a copy of HPTuner Pro and gave the wife the excuse that it would help diagnose the issue! Two days after making the purchase, I found the problem.

-Eagle

98 Formula
    06 duramax

seems like hptuners must've played some part in getting it fixed then.

Thread Information