Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neat trick...

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Neat trick...

My wife has locked her keys in her Silverado more times than I can count...she should have learned by now but that is a whole other story (I'm sure us married guys know that argument) The first time she did it we were at CVS so I went and bought an old fashioned manual blood pressure cuff. After working it in the crack between the door and the truck I pumped it up and it opened the door enough to get a coat hanger in to scoop up the keys sitting on the seat! And it didn't scratch the paint. The blood pressure cuff now sits in a toolbox in the bed of her truck. I'm sure the cuff would work wonders on our F-body windows to create a gap big enough to fit a hanger in without damaging the weather stripping or scratching any paint.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Sometimes a tennis ball with a hole drilled into one side will work on some vehicles and have 2 pieces of wood shaped into triangles that have a narrow long run on one side helps to. I've never had a problem using a coat hanger on F-bodies. it use to be not a problem to use slim jims but now with electronic locks and windows its getting harder to use them.

The BP cuff is what our local LEO's use around here with a long flexible rod that enables them to press the power lock button.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it ) The 4th gen power lock buttons become inop after 3-4 minutes of locking the car up.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it ) The 4th gen power lock buttons become inop after 3-4 minutes of locking the car up.

Didn't know that. Now I must go home and lock myself in my car and test it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Didn't know that. Now I must go home and lock myself in my car and test it.
    You know when you turn the car off the radio still plays for a few minutes and then shuts off?? That's when the locks (if you lock the car) also become inop.

I lock the car with the windows down once in a while if I can sit and watch it. Nobody can open the doors, and hitting the inside lock button does nothing. Only way someone can open the door is to physically reach in and pull the lock, and when you do that the alarm goes off.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Thanks, Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Thanks, Good to know
    Yep, of course if you try this while sitting in the car, you have to pull the keys out of the ignition first,,,,,,,, the locks don't work if the key is still in the ignition (in the off position).

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The power timer is controlled by the BCM.

Like FBJ said after an amount of time the BCM cuts power to the controls.

It will also engage the alarm after a short while longer.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yep, of course if you try this while sitting in the car, you have to pull the keys out of the ignition first,,,,,,,, the locks don't work if the key is still in the ignition (in the off position).
    That's also right.

The BCM detects the key resistance "chip" and also triggers the dome light dimmer effect.

If you remove the key as the dome light begins to fade the dome light will imediately return to full brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    That's also right.

The BCM detects the key resistance "chip" and also triggers the dome light dimmer effect.

If you remove the key as the dome light begins to fade the dome light will imediately return to full brightness.
    Yep,,,that's what keeps me from locking the keys in the car. I never use the key fob thingy, I always open the door and hit the power door lock button,,,and it doesn't work if I haven't pulled the keys out yet, (It actually dings at you as if to say,,,hey dumbass you left the keys in the ignition ),,which keeps me from locking them in there
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-14-2012 at 11:26 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Here's one for ya, Over an even longer period of time if you leave the door open and the keys out the alarm will eventually arm.

Like in a sort of "show" mode. That way if you leave the door hang open and someone hops in the alarm will still go off.

I liken it to if you were @ a car show and have the door hanging open for an extended period of time, or something to that effect.

Here's one for ya, Over an even longer period of time if you leave the door open and the keys out the alarm will eventually arm.

Like in a sort of "show" mode. That way if you leave the door hang open and someone hops in the alarm will still go off.

I liken it to if you were @ a car show and have the door hanging open for an extended period of time, or something to that effect.
    Haven't tried that one. Starting to sound like this car is just way too high tech for me

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Haven't tried that one. Starting to sound like this car is just way too high tech for me
    You should see my H3,,, can't even breath on it without triggering the alarm..lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well it does'nt actually know if the door is open.. The BCM just sees' the dome curcuit is closed and the key resistance is missing..

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

hmmm maybe this explain my ramdom issue with my power locks. I noticed sometimes i hit the power lock button inside the car and it will not work. I try a different button or the FOB and then it works. It happens once in a blue moon but sometimes very frecuent.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Jay it's your car's way of screwing with you. She wants more attention and loving that's all

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

very useful information

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    hmmm maybe this explain my ramdom issue with my power locks. I noticed sometimes i hit the power lock button inside the car and it will not work. I try a different button or the FOB and then it works. It happens once in a blue moon but sometimes very frecuent.
    Durring this time if it's also cutting the radio, wipers, along with the locks, is almost certain to be the BCM.

Common issue in every f-body after say 98'..

It's the little back box from Singapore, and it can be a bish!.

PS..Wiper paulse board does'nt like when the BCM starts to fail either. (ask me how I know)..lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Durring this time if it's also cutting the radio, wipers, along with the locks, is almost certain to be the BCM.

Common issue in every f-body after say 98'..

It's the little back box from Singapore, and it can be a bish!.

PS..Wiper paulse board does'nt like when the BCM starts to fail either. (ask me how I know)..lol

......and you don't want to know where that is...

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

well shes is getting alot of attention trying to figure out the low idle issue and coolant leak. so wth! lol

Thread Information