Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

NA vs Turbo

This is a discussion on NA vs Turbo within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos Same power (TQ and HP) give me the N/A set-up. cuz then u have the ...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Same power (TQ and HP) give me the N/A set-up.
    cuz then u have the option of going FI while being NA at 500

in which case ur potential to make power is:

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

personally I'm thinking of going TT someday ... one of the main reasons I was thinking of doing this was because I was under the impression that TT makes more power with less boost then the SC at more boost... therefore being more efficient and safer... true or false?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Single turbo > twins

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

i was actually talking ina race..who would win...

this is all hypothetical....i was just curious what is better 500 booste HP or 500 all motor

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1SSZ28 View Post
    i was actually talking ina race..who would win...

this is all hypothetical....i was just curious what is better 500 booste HP or 500 all motor
    same tq number?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Single turbo > twins
    why do you prefer single as oppose to twin?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    why do you prefer single as oppose to twin?
    Heat. Space.

A correctly chosen single will do as well as the twins.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

examples could help prove that point.

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    same tq number?
    yea...same trq and HP

does it make a difference one being made all motor, and one being made by boost?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LS1SSZ28 View Post
    yea...same trq and HP

does it make a difference one being made all motor, and one being made by boost?
    actually yes.
    its all about the powerband.
    think about it this way... dont let me lose u. when ur talkin about hp and torque, ur discussing the MAX HP or MAX TQ throughought all rpms.

so say ur NA motor has consistent power throughout all rpms, and maxes at 500, but doesnt go much less than that.

now, ur turbo makes shitty power all throughouht rpms until that ONE POINT that it makes 500hp. (this is not true. its a radical, hypothetical example. im just sayin, its all about the powerband)

the entire set up will determine the power band, therefore without specifics, we cant tell u which will be better. the turbo could have a better powerband than the NA motor, or visa-versa... it all depends.

remember this: a car that pulls consistently through all rpms is more impressive than a car that pulls really hard at one point and not so much at other rpms.

i hope that wasnt confusing, i tried explaining the best i could

now if the quetion is: which will create a better powerband? na or turbo? it can go either way.

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

actually yes.
    its all about the powerband.
    think about it this way... dont let me lose u. when ur talkin about hp and torque, ur discussing the MAX HP or MAX TQ throughought all rpms.

so say ur NA motor has consistent power throughout all rpms, and maxes at 500, but doesnt go much less than that.

now, ur turbo makes shitty power all throughouht rpms until that ONE POINT that it makes 500hp. (this is not true. its a radical, hypothetical example. im just sayin, its all about the powerband)

the entire set up will determine the power band, therefore without specifics, we cant tell u which will be better. the turbo could have a better powerband than the NA motor, or visa-versa... it all depends.

remember this: a car that pulls consistently through all rpms is more impressive than a car that pulls really hard at one point and not so much at other rpms.

i hope that wasnt confusing, i tried explaining the best i could

now if the quetion is: which will create a better powerband? na or turbo? it can go either way.
    no doubt..made alot of sence...i have always wondered if NA power was better then FI power...but i guess it all depends

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

ohh ok. but so with a stall, if ur at a stop and u hit the pedal, there is no instant throttle response since it has to get up to the stall speed before putting power down right?

lol, thread hijacking. after u answer that question im done with stalls, and we cna go back to na vs turbo lol

Not really with a stall it will pretty much jump to the flash speed just about instantly seeing how there is no drag on the engine while its slipping. I have a 3600 stall and If I romp it from a standstill the tach races to about 3700 and just pulls like a freight train pretty much instantly. Also if you keep your foot in it when the trans shifts the rpm's never drop below your stall speed. It's fun get in a high stalled car to really feel the difference it makes. You'll think you just did a motor swap.

Back on track though ya if the powerbands are equal then it's equal if one looks like a spike and the other a mountain the the mountain will win.
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 06-17-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Not really with a stall it will pretty much jump to the flash speed just about instantly seeing how there is no drag on the engine while its slipping. I have a 3600 stall and If I romp it from a standstill the tach races to about 3700 and just pulls like a freight train pretty much instantly. Also if you keep your foot in it when the trans shifts the rpm's never drop below your stall speed. It's fun get in a high stalled car to really feel the difference it makes. You'll think you just did a motor swap.

Back on track though ya if the powerbands are equal then it's equal if one looks like a spike and the other a mountain the the mountain will win.

thanks for explaining that to him, i did the best i could i cant put it into words that well, kinda have to take a ride in a stalled car to really understand how they work.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Thats how I learned. I knew the basics and physics and thought the same thing until I installed one in mine. Best mod to date.

Black
    99 SS

yes, it would be hard to explaine how the impellers work and lock together to him, unless you have one cut open and showen how they work, kinda cool

Red
    1999 Camaro Z28 Auto

Displacement being the same, assuming that the turbo'd application is chosen and installed correctly and not by some non-thinking dumbass with a welder - assuming that the turbine and compressor are sized correctly for the power goals and powerband needs...

I would say the turbocharged car *should* win in a race - all other things being equal. The reason being, as said before, is simple. Torque. Same horsepower, sure, but the FI engine will produce a lot more torque than a similar NA motor of the same size.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

thank u slims. i understand it 100 times more. oh and zboner, its cool. u did ur best explainin it and u also helped out my basic understanding of it. thanks guys

btw, how high of a stall is too high?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Area under the curve for the win!
    Peak numbers won't tell the story for either set-up, but as a generalization, turbo cars tend to pull harder up top.
    As for blowers, you have two types with two very different personalities. Centrifugal blowers will make more boost with more RPM and tend to make their power up top. Roots/screw blowers make their boost nearly off idle.
    Me, I went the bigger-inch N/A motor with a bit of nitrous on top...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information