Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NA vs Turbo

This is a discussion on NA vs Turbo within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Let me lay out the senario... Same car same driver one is built to 500HP, and its NA the other ...

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

NA vs Turbo

Let me lay out the senario...

Same car

same driver

one is built to 500HP, and its NA

the other is bosted to 500HP

would either one be faster then the other? or is 500HP 500HP?

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Too many invariables. You can gain 500 HP NA through many means either bigger cubes or by H/C/I and have separate powerbands with the edge probably going to the bigger CI which can use a much smaller cam to get there.

500 HP Turbo also has a few quirks based on system, turbo size etc you can get one that takes a sec to spool up and get a little lag or one with no lag but tops out sooner.

Personally If I had the choice I'd say turbo based on you can pretty much use a stock motor and boost to 500 and be still very friendly on the street provided you aren't spooling it up all the time. NA at that level can also be attained and probably kept streetable as well so I guess its just up to the individual and the means to achieve it.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

The little bit I do know is that turbo and supercharged cars make more torque. 500 hp is 500hp but the car that is making more TQ will pull to that 500 much quicker. If I am wrong please correct me. My buddy is running a 04 cobra. He is at 503 hp with 490 TQ. (blower car). Me 432 with 387 TQ N/A. Im not real far away in power (enough) but the TQ is 100 different. He pulls on me easily. Forced induction helps TQ alot.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

torque is more key to winning a race than horsepower is. and like anniversary30 said, FI can create lots of torque.

as to which ones faster? if both cars are the same transmission, and have the same suspension mods etc., and both cars are making 500hp, and the same torque, it all depends on the powerband.

---turbo obviously has lag, but creates a ton of power once the lag is gone...
    ---s.c. creates a little less power than turbo, but makes boost through all rpms
    ---NA... well too many factors here. id say the CAM is the most important factor, as it will be the part creating ur powerband. now if ur cam doesnt make too good of power till a certain rpm, its almost the same as turbo.

id say, if it were turbo, or NA with a higher powerband, if racing on a roll it will take the SC car.

thats the best i could help... too many factors to give u a straight up answer

basically, if your trying to decide which way to go to make 500hp, tell us more info and we can help u more. like, ur budget... are u gonna race more from rolls or digs... is it a DD... etc

Black
    99 SS

when i had my cammed and stalled Z, it was fast up top, but now with my supercharged trans am, i feel so much TQ its unreal, it gets up a lot faster if that helps a little

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Too many invariables. You can gain 500 HP NA through many means either bigger cubes or by H/C/I and have separate powerbands with the edge probably going to the bigger CI which can use a much smaller cam to get there.

500 HP Turbo also has a few quirks based on system, turbo size etc you can get one that takes a sec to spool up and get a little lag or one with no lag but tops out sooner.

Personally If I had the choice I'd say turbo based on you can pretty much use a stock motor and boost to 500 and be still very friendly on the street provided you aren't spooling it up all the time. NA at that level can also be attained and probably kept streetable as well so I guess its just up to the individual and the means to achieve it.
    good points... i would say turbo would be the best for a streetable car, cuz u can drive it under the spool point around town. say it makes boost at 2800rpms... if ur driving around town, just shift before 2.8k. that way ur car doesnt seem like it has 500hp yet.

sc, ur makin power all the time so driving it around the street would be pretty difficult (more than turbo that is)
    NA, is hard to say because u could get a higher powerband cam like i said, and drive it under the powerband and you wont sacrifice driveability.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    when i had my cammed and stalled Z, it was fast up top, but now with my supercharged trans am, i feel so much TQ its unreal, it gets up a lot faster if that helps a little
    just wonderin, but i have no clue about stalls... how did the stall help you out up top? i thought the stall was only good for launches, and after that its useless.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    good points... i would say turbo would be the best for a streetable car, cuz u can drive it under the spool point around town. say it makes boost at 2800rpms... if ur driving around town, just shift before 2.8k. that way ur car doesnt seem like it has 500hp yet.

sc, ur makin power all the time so driving it around the street would be pretty difficult (more than turbo that is)
    NA, is hard to say because u could get a higher powerband cam like i said, and drive it under the powerband and you wont sacrifice driveability.
    not true, the SC works the same way also, the higher the RPM's the more boost your going to have, i have a SC car, and if you stay out of the boost then its like drivng a stock car almost. the differece is the turbo works of exhaust, and SC is belt driven, the turbo has to build boost up.

for a street car i would perfer a SC, and for a track car i would perfer a turbo.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

not true, the SC works the same way also, the higher the RPM's the more boost your going to have, i have a SC car, and if you stay out of the boost then its like drivng a stock car almost. the differece is the turbo works of exhaust, and SC is belt driven, the turbo has to build boost up.

for a street car i would perfer a SC, and for a track car i would perfer a turbo.
    really? i did not kow that a sc created power at higher rpms... i didnt know u could drive under the powerband like u said.(i knew about turbos being exhaust driven and scs by belt, i just didnt know the boost was created at the same rate)

wow i have it backwards. u definitely know way better than i do. thanks man

Black
    99 SS

just wonderin, but i have no clue about stalls... how did the stall help you out up top? i thought the stall was only good for launches, and after that its useless.

stall didnt help, i made no power down low what so ever, the stall lets you get to the desired RPM band quicker, my Cam made power up to 7,000RPM's, but the bad thing is the transmission(4l60's) do not like to be spun over 6,500 RPM's, so that was the delema, and why i switched to the LT1 car, more power down low and TQ so i can play on the street a lot more, the camaro had so much power up top, it kept pulling at speeds of 140 and i couldn't use the power and dont want to kill my self

Black
    99 SS

really? i did not kow that a sc created power at higher rpms... i didnt know u could drive under the powerband like u said.

wow i have it backwards. u definitely know way better than i do. thanks man

you got it, you can drive the SC cars under boost, its not running 6-7lbs of boost all the time. it has a vaccum on it also to suck the air in, if you get a chance to ride in a SC car do it, and make sure they have a gauge to watch it.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

stall didnt help, i made no power down low what so ever, the stall lets you get to the desired RPM band quicker, my Cam made power up to 7,000RPM's, but the bad thing is the transmission(4l60's) do not like to be spun over 6,500 RPM's, so that was the delema, and why i switched to the LT1 car, more power down low and TQ so i can play on the street a lot more, the camaro had so much power up top, it kept pulling at speeds of 140 and i couldn't use the power and dont want to kill my self
    awesome man! so stalls dont do anything if ur racing from a roll?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

you got it, you can drive the SC cars under boost, its not running 6-7lbs of boost all the time. it has a vaccum on it also to suck the air in, if you get a chance to ride in a SC car do it, and make sure they have a gauge to watch it.
    thanks for settin me straight. i dont know a single person with a turbod or sced car unfortunately... i dont even know of anyone with a really fast NA car either lol

Black
    99 SS

a turbo has to build the boost up, as to where if i push in my clutch, rev up to 6,500 rpm's my boost is already up to 7PSI in a instant

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

a turbo has to build the boost up, as to where if i push in my clutch, rev up to 6,500 rpm's my boost is already up to 7PSI in a instant
    so wouldnt driving a turbo be more streetable? cuz it would take more rpms to make boost?

Black
    99 SS

awesome man! so stalls dont do anything if ur racing from a roll?

yes they do, its kinda hard for me to explaine it to you though, lol

im not a good teacher, if your cruising at 2,000 rpm's and your stall is so a 3,500, when you mash the gas the rpm's will jump to that stall speed.

Black
    99 SS

so wouldnt driving a turbo be more streetable? cuz it would take more rpms to make boost?

yes they both are streetable, i would rather have a turbo for a track car, i guess its persoanl prefferance

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yes they do, its kinda hard for me to explaine it to you though, lol

im not a good teacher, if your cruising at 2,000 rpm's and your stall is so a 3,500, when you mash the gas the rpm's will jump to that stall speed.
    ohh ok. but so with a stall, if ur at a stop and u hit the pedal, there is no instant throttle response since it has to get up to the stall speed before putting power down right?

lol, thread hijacking. after u answer that question im done with stalls, and we cna go back to na vs turbo lol

Black
    99 SS

ohh ok. but so with a stall, if ur at a stop and u hit the pedal, there is no instant throttle response since it has to get up to the stall speed before putting power down right?

lol, thread hijacking. after u answer that question im done with stalls, and we cna go back to na vs turbo lol

pretty much, get a ride in a car with a stall

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Same power (TQ and HP) give me the N/A set-up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information