Thread: at my wits end

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

at my wits end

Sooo...literally just shy of the engine block itself and the rear axle, everything on my car has been replaced...95 Z, headers, intake, exhaust etc etc....i baby my car 98% of the time....so anywho...noticed a month ago its starting to burn through some oil...nothing major, just keeping a close eye on it. car has 149,486 mi on it....but like i said almost everything on it is new besides the block itself....so yesterday...drive the car for 15 mins, get home, notice smoke coming from under the hood. pop it, the smoke is coming from bottom of block and coming up my the radiator....let it cool down and leave it overnight....today go to leave for work...fires right up, no lights on the dash to indicate problem...oil level is normal...coolant level is normal...but sounded like a slight tick and the rpm range was jumpin around and car was making a "groaning" noise....thoughts???

Electric fan burnt out, coolant overflowed on to exhaust manifold. Did it smell 'sweet'? antifreeze?

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Well....as I was getting in the car to attempt to drive it to my mechanic..found the problem...Snapped serpentine belt...easy fix and should be good to go....lets hope.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easy fix -- but before you put the new belt on give all your accessory and idler pulleys a spin to make sure one did not seize up. Also check for any excessive wobble or runout.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 05-13-2010 at 05:49 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Groaning eh? Sounds like a possible seized alternator. My last car made the same noise and when I pulled the alternator, I couldn't spin it at all. Replaced the alternator and checked the belt(was still good) and all was well.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

well turns out the reason the belt snapped was because the a/c compressor was fried and the clutches inside seized up and melted the belt. Sooo since that happened...the compressor is fried...essentially the WHOLE a/c system is jacked. So i'm sayin screw it and getting the a/c bypass pulley and doing away with the air conditioning all together...which sucks since I have black leather interior but easy fix with some lighter seat covers to ease the pain a little....FML

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You can get the A/C delete and save up money in case you want to replace the compressor in the future.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't believe a new compressor is all that expensive. Do a search and see what you come up with.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Yeah when I figure out what's up with work (if I get this job i've been goin for) then i'll replace everything...I don't really use the air that often anyway but it's nice to have at times i.e. on my way home from my hockey games etc. true the compressor isn't that much...but i need that, the condensor etc, the WHOLE system needs to be replaced, either way, will have it back on the road on monday when my a/c bypass pulley comes in....never fails...

blue
    2002 corola

That is a tough call...
    i was also facing the same problem but will somehow able to manage this one....
    BORROWS

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Well car is back ont he road. Amazingly enough I did notice a difference. Seems to have a LITTLE more behind the pedal. nothing huge but I felt a little difference. HUGE difference from driving my roommates v6 firebird for the week....nothin against the 6cyl guys but they just don't roar like my Z. Now to get my sfc welded in the right way and move on with my never ending project.

red
    99 camaro

i HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM ON MY CAR 99Z, bOUGHT A REMAN AC COMP AND DRIER KIT OFF EBAY AND FOLLOWED INST. iT ALL TURNED OUT GREAT AND THAT WAS A YEAR AGO ( 20K MILES ). rEPLACED THE ORIFACE TUBE THAT CASUGHT ALL THE TRASH AND FLUSHED THE REST OF THE SYS WITH DENATURED ALCOHOL AND BLEW OUT WITH AIR. pULLED VACCUM FOR MOISTURE BOIL OFF and recharged. Damn caps lock pos. Sorry... Anyways the kit is like 200-300 on ebay If I remember correctly.

Awaiting Activation

Silver / black
    95 Z28

Thanks! Ill look into it, tho, I was contemplating getting the a/c bypass eventually anyway. Once I get this new job i'll be buying a new truck and the Z is going for a major overhaul and becoming more of a track car. Granted that could be a while, i'll definately check into the system you mentioned tho.Might not be a bad idea just incase the chicago weather finally decides to warm up

Thread Information