PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

My Winter ride (1997 Eclipse) Won't start!

Ok so after I bought my camaro I went out a bought a 97 Mitsu eclipse for a winter beater ,Ya I know its a POS rice but Id rather get it salty than the camaro. It was running fine untill about a week ago when it wouldnt start. I tried a new battery but it was to no avail.

So here is some symptoms. I put the key in the Ignition turn in to 1 click before actually starting it and all the dash lights light up, however when I turn it to start you can here the starter make a slight "Click" and then nothing. I turn the key again and don't hear any click what so ever.

so whats my options here? I'm thinking the starter is shot however when I try to push start the car it wont crank. Maybe a bad coil? Let me know what you guys think. I need Ideas.

black
    2002 WS6

By crank I guess you are meaning catch and start.

Like everything else are you getting fuel? And yes a check for spark would be good to.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    By crank I guess you are meaning catch and start.

Like everything else are you getting fuel? And yes a check for spark would be good to.
    It doesnt turn over. It just Clicks. I can hear the pump prime up but It doesnt crank at all.

First thing to check is battery voltage. Did you buy a new one and the car ran it down?

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Well the previous owner put one in. however I notice some idiot wired the cd player to the battery with an inline fuse (total rig job). He had it disconnected saying it was draining down the battery. are you guys thinking the battery has a bad cell causing to just get enough power to turn the dash lights on but not enough to crank the car. It is a cheap ass battery! Or maybe the alternator is not charging it sufficently?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    It doesnt turn over. It just Clicks. I can hear the pump prime up but It doesnt crank at all.
    Check the battery voltage, you should have about 12.6 volts. If not, charge the battery and try again. If it still clicks, its probably the starter, in which case you would need a new one. Before you replace the starter though check for power at the B+ terminal, it should be within a tenth or two of voltage measured at the battery.

You did buy a Mitsubishi though, good luck, you'll need it!!

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Yea I kno but for $650 bucks and to just last me through the winter up here so I don't ruin the Camaro, I'll deal with the POS. Ill probably end up beating the shit out of this thing come spring anyway!!!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Yea I kno but for $650 bucks and to just last me through the winter up here so I don't ruin the Camaro, I'll deal with the POS. Ill probably end up beating the shit out of this thing come spring anyway!!!
    lol. If you blow it up in the spring make sure to post a video of you destroying it!!

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    lol. If you blow it up in the spring make sure to post a video of you destroying it!!
    Damn right i will. We did something similar to my buddys old mercury cougar, it will out in a flame of glory lol. anyway back on topic lol

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Ok update, I got the POS to start!!!! However it will only start if I jump start it with the Camaro!!! Im thinking its a shitty Battery. As soon as I shut the car off after jump starting it, it will not restart! I tested this theory with the optima I have lying around from my off road racing days and the SOB fires Right up every time! thanks for your help guys.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Ok update, I got the POS to start!!!! However it will only start if I jump start it with the Camaro!!! Im thinking its a shitty Battery. As soon as I shut the car off after jump starting it, it will not restart! I tested this theory with the optima I have lying around from my off road racing days and the SOB fires Right up every time! thanks for your help guys.
    Looks like you found your problem, glad its running

98 Formula
    06 duramax

don't rule out a corroded wire.....it will do virtually the same thing.

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    don't rule out a corroded wire.....it will do virtually the same thing.
    The pos wire did have white corrosion on it so I did the old baking soda trick. I think it was a combo of both however. You should see this car though. It looks like it was Bathed in salt water under the hood lol. It runs strong though. Its the damn salt they use in Western PA!!!

Thread Information