Thread: My whits end!!

My whits end!!

Hey Guys,
    Bought a 02 WS6 back in October. Great running car, but you could tell someone along the way pulled the motor, did something to trans, etc...
    There was a pretty significant vibration from 1000 rpm's on up...
    THought it could have motor mounts or trans mount. So I started with the trans mount...same vibration..
    Then onto motor mounts...
    Got it to a friends house that is a master mechanic. Got it up onto his lift and started diagnosing....He noticed that the flexplate wasnt original to the car, nor the Torque converter...The flexplate had markings on it as if it had been balanced...So that raised the question if someone ignorantly placed a externely balanced flexplate onto a internally balanced engine.....I basically said "f" it....Time to pull the trans just to make sure that wasnt the problem. The oile pan and rear main leaked anyway, so I bought all the parts to replace the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, motor mounts and flywheel.

Onto the disassembly:

Started getting into it...As I was remving the three bolts that connect the torque converter to the flywheel, I noticed that I had to change wrenches, 2 were 14m the other 15...I started thinking that if the weight were different of the three bolts, could that cause the vibration?

I didnt want to stop because I needed to change the oil pan anyway, so I kept on...

Needless to say, the first flex plate that came was wrong, the second has a giant wieght on it, (called sumit to verify te sent the right one) but now the bolt pattern doesnt match the crank bolt pattern.

Is there a way to decifer what engine a flexplate cmae off of?

Im tempted to put the existing flexplate back on, but am hesistant as it is not easily done.

My two main questions:

1.Can one mis-matched bolt cause a vibration from the flexplate? (two bolts weighted the same, the 15m wieghed 4 grams more)

2. Is there a way to tell what flexplate came from what motor?

I think that maybe the crank is not original to the engine.......

Any help or insught would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Dub

I kno my buddies ws6 got a crazy vibration like dat too..somewhere in that same rpm range..we changed parts and more parts on that thang..come to find out it was a unbalanced driveshaft..but different size bolts shouldnt make a difference..do the flywheel have counter weights on the inside of the flywheel? Ik some did come with em..could b wrong🤔

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

No counter balance on the original flywheel. I thought about the driveshaft as well, but it does it while in park, not moving at all while revving. Gets a tad worse under WOT.

Sound like the torque converter bolts might be loose? If its doin it while park..3 thangs..1...harmonic balancer 2.flywheel..3.torque converter

How many miles u have on the car? Stock still?

Harmonic balancer has been upgraded. The Torque converter bolts were the ones that were mismatched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car has 152k miles, mostly stock. No major upgrades

I would check the flywheel and torque converter! Is the flywheel crack if you can tell?..if it was me i would just buy a new flywheel..before you break the ear off the side of the block where the starter mounts..(ls motors are known for it)

Flex plate is being replaced. I'm ordering my third flex plate as of now. The previous two haven't been correct

What u mean not correct..whats different?

The flexplate that was sent by the manufacturer has been wrong twice.

Thread Information