Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My T/A wont start, security issue!

This is a discussion on My T/A wont start, security issue! within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; see if your getting 12 volts to the starter when you have someone try it while you got the volt ...

rust.....
    '50 Chevy Styleline

see if your getting 12 volts to the starter when you have someone try it while you got the volt meter on the starter lead.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Thumbs up T/A

Today i went to the dealer and had a new key made. I have the battery charger on the car now and ill try the new key here in a bit. Lets hope it works. If it doesnt work ill pull the BCM again and see whats up. Does anyone know how to test a BCM?

Thanks for all the info and ideas, i am deffinately going to be wanting to drive this as soon as all this crappy snow is gone.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by sdoyleT/A View Post
    Does anyone know how to test a BCM?
    As far as VATS operation, you can test to make sure the BCM is getting the key resistance data and test to see if it sending the signal to the PCM and the starter relay.
    If it gets the key resistance but its not sending the signal, then that kinda proves the BCM isn't working.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

T/A

The more i think about this, i can add things up to assume the BCM is bad. I have had issues with the power windows intermitantly working, the hatch doesnt always work, sometimes the wipers work on their own, the horn doesnt work (horns work when hot wired, couldnt find fuse, but all fuses in car are good, I am missing one fuse cover under the hood), sometimes the stereo comes on when the car is off, and the fuel guage has never worked right(doubt theres any relation with this one.) It also has a hard start issue, and the alarm doesnt churp either.(related to horn?)
    Thanks guys for all the smarts, ill take all the knowledge i can get.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I was having issues with the power locks not unlocking ramdomly. I changed the key remote batteries and no luck. I pulled out the BCM and re-solder the 5 points that people said cause problems. 3 months later and I haven't had anymore issues.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

T/A

I am looking at the BCM right now and all the solder points look perfect no cracks at all. I even used a magnifying glass. I also used the sticky on here to guide me as far as what to solder. It looked good but i hit em with a quick solder anyway.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by barnac0 View Post
    How old is the key that you are using. It may be worn out and not making good contact anymore. I just went throught this with my car. It turned out that it was a bad bcm.
    the key is not the issue, the small wires attached to the ignition cyclinder break off after years of turning back and forth.
    the nodes on the key would literally have to be ground flat for that to be a problem

Black
    2000 Trans Am

T/A

Yeah i found out the key wasnt it last weekend by having a new one made. I have already tested at the connection under the stearing colum with the key in the ignition and on and it reads the same value as the chip in the key. My next step is to reinstall the BCM and test at the starter sylenoid if i read a post on her earlier right. There is a wrecked firebird here in town i might be able to get the BCM and steering column out of if it comes to it.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Thumbs up Parts ordered!

So i found a used steering column and BCM on ebay and grabbed it for $79. Im still waiting for them but i am hoping this will fix my problem.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sdoyleT/A View Post
    So i found a used steering column and BCM on ebay and grabbed it for $79. Im still waiting for them but i am hoping this will fix my problem.
    not sure, but doesn't the BCM determine what resistance value you need? if so, how do you know what resistance the bcm you bought has?

I would replace the steering column first, because I can almost guarantee with much certainty that is where the problem lies..

you could have done the resistor splice mod much easier and $72 cheaper... but at least no one will be able to hotwire your car because your VATS will still be functioning until your new ignition cylinder breaks..

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Smile Fixed!

So i replaced the BCM with key and shes on the road again! Thanks for all the great info and help guys!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information