2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Is my starter wiring right??

I just finished my ls6 swap and got wired everything up. Heres the issue, I was working in the engine bay and bumped the positive batt wire to the terminal (ground was connected already) and the starter turned the motor over without the pcm being connected. Now I dont have a pcm at the moment because its out getting tuned but why is this happening? Here's how I have the starter wired.... The small wire on the small terminal, its purple i believe, the big red wire goes to the other large terminal on the starter and the black bridge wire on the solenoid was untouched when I pulled the starter.

The other wires in the battery harness are as follows.
    Blk ground goes to the block next to the starter.
    Red wire to the fuse box on the opposite side of the car.
    Red wire with a rubber boot goes to the alternator.
    Why would it try to crnk without a pcm I thought when the key is turned it energizes the solenoid via the small wire which permits the battery to then crank the motor?

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

you completed the circuit by crossing the two together starter is not a control circuit . [I think?] please dont hook up your battery till the very last,as you proved to yourself also your wiring is correct good job! if you ever have to do any welding to your car also remove battery cables also as not to induce current to your electrical system from outside source. when firing your motor for first time turn key on and listen for your fuel pump,let it fill your lines then crank it over.there are all sorts of opinions on how to fire off the first time, i started mine normally if you just use your starter it only spins the motor aprox. 600rpm whereas fire off first thing you will prime your oil pump sooner and move oil to your crank sooner enjoy the ls6 i just did the same swap the bummer about mine was the lighting was too funky and my pictures turned out like shit.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

well i figured it out the bridge between the two wire posts is supposed to be there because thats how it came off the car. What happened is that the small ignition wire was a little loose and was making contact with the battery terminal thus giving the illusion that the key was on and kicking over the solenoid. I did let it crank though for a little bit to prime the oil system it shouldnt hurt anything because there is no pcm to give spark or fuel.

dark blue metallic
    2002 camaro z28

I didn't turn mine over till i was ready to start also try to wrap the wires in some heat wrap in this area espcially because of proxcimity of headers or exaust it breaks down the insullation and causes it to crack and breakoff .

Thread Information