Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

My Horror Story

This is a discussion on My Horror Story within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I would have to agree with the others, that cover looks original to the car. When the gears were changed ...

I would have to agree with the others, that cover looks original to the car. When the gears were changed maybe the whole rearend was changed out, but it looks like the differential was never touched since new.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you'll also be wanting to address those lines that I pointed the red arrow at.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Glad you got it fixed, enjoy it. Looks great.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

woa..how did the huge gaping holes come to be

black
    2002 WS6

those would the result of a possible spider gear failure, something big came off/out the carrier and that is the result.

www.eautocad.com

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Well it sounds like you made the right choice. Most people dont have the tools or know how to fix something like that; those people are what those laws help when they get screwed over. I'm really surprised the seller showed his face here. Most people would hide if they were in his shoes. That to me says he's being legit.

You've got to be careful when you sell your car. When you sell it, it should be in better condition than its ever been. If thats not possible, you must include an AS-is agreement with your sale; or when instances like this occur you could end up owing money and spending time in a court room. This is a reason why most opt to just trade in a vehicle, rather than take the responsibility of selling it privately.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, that cover looks like it was off 6 months ago
    HA! any answer to this?

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Automatic transmission is a whole different story.
    Sawdust in a automatic.... Lol !!! I have heard about sawdust in a manual transmission and think I got one of those before. But, sawdust in a auto would plug it up I thinks and it wouldn't go anywhere. Lol !!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    Sawdust in a automatic.... Lol !!! I have heard about sawdust in a manual transmission and think I got one of those before. But, sawdust in a auto would plug it up I thinks and it wouldn't go anywhere. Lol !!!
    I've never heard of anyone doin that period but I don't know too much bout autos. Tell me what purpose saw dust has in a manual?

lol, Some people in this thread are full of sh!t!!, If there was a thing about buying a car and it breaking 24hrs later you can return it I am going out right now and buying some poor soles TT zo6 vett and going to beat the living shit out of it and break it and then get it returned. I highly doubt there is such a stupid law and if there is it would exclude rear ends because you can break a rear hammering on it. Wow good laughs!

So who has a fast ass vett???? Got lot’s of money to buy one!

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I've never heard of anyone doin that period but I don't know too much bout autos. Tell me what purpose saw dust has in a manual?
    There are people out there that use sawdust to quiet gear whine or to improve the shifting of manual transmissions. Generally, they used this fix as a short term fix until they can afford to repair it properly or to hide a problem.

Like I said, I think I bought one of those from a dealer where someone turned in their '73 Camaro 4 spd in the '80's. I bought the car and changed all the fluids the first week. Fortunately, I did that right away because it whined like a little girl. The dealership was pretty good about fixing it for me. They installed a new clutch at the time for me and we agreed I would only have to pay half of the new clutch(parts only) for my trouble.

I was without the car for about a week. Nice '73 with 350 in her. I had a lot of fun in that car!
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 11-06-2007 at 08:15 PM.

yeah, that cover looks like it was off 6 months ago
    Do you honestly feel that you can look at a photograph of a rusty old rear end and determine when the differential cover was last removed? If you do, here's a bit of information that you may want to consider, just in case you missed it earlier. The gear set in that rear end has a ratio of 4.11:1 and was manufactured by Motive Gear. I can state that as a fact because I'm the guy that installed it. Would you or any of the other gentlemen who fell in behind you care to explain to me how that gear set found it's way into that rear end without the cover being removed? It certainly wasn't put there by General Motors.

While you are chewing on that little tid-bit of information, I would also suggest that you look up the definition of moderator. A good moderator is one who maintains a neutral position in an emotionally charged topic, or better yet, not participate in it at all. You have not only been involved, but have maintained a high level of bias and continue to fan the flames. This has been a trying time for all involved and if all you have to offer is sarcasm I would appreciate keeping your comments to yourself and start acting like the moderator you claim to be.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I probably shouldn't have even posted up the first time, and normally wouldn't, but when someone buys a car on the board and the rear goes pop before they even get it home then something is not right there. It could have 4.11's in it. Doesn't look like they were put there 6 months ago from the looks of that rear. Never said I knew when they were done. Just stating that the cover doesn't look like it was off 6 months ago. If it was 6 months ago then congrats on keeping the cover, bolts, and e-brake brackets original and rusty looking. Glad you could post up though and set things straight so I can meet the person that set up a rear that grenaded 6 months later.

Oriental Blue
    2001 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I probably shouldn't have even posted up the first time, and normally wouldn't, but when someone buys a car on the board and the rear goes pop before they even get it home then something is not right there. It could have 4.11's in it. Doesn't look like they were put there 6 months ago from the looks of that rear. Never said I knew when they were done. Just stating that the cover doesn't look like it was off 6 months ago. If it was 6 months ago then congrats on keeping the cover, bolts, and e-brake brackets original and rusty looking. Glad you could post up though and set things straight so I can meet the person that set up a rear that grenaded 6 months later.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

daddy got

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by bg552sdad View Post
    Do you honestly feel that you can look at a photograph of a rusty old rear end and determine when the differential cover was last removed? If you do, here's a bit of information that you may want to consider, just in case you missed it earlier. The gear set in that rear end has a ratio of 4.11:1 and was manufactured by Motive Gear. I can state that as a fact because I'm the guy that installed it. Would you or any of the other gentlemen who fell in behind you care to explain to me how that gear set found it's way into that rear end without the cover being removed? It certainly wasn't put there by General Motors.

While you are chewing on that little tid-bit of information, I would also suggest that you look up the definition of moderator. A good moderator is one who maintains a neutral position in an emotionally charged topic, or better yet, not participate in it at all. You have not only been involved, but have maintained a high level of bias and continue to fan the flames. This has been a trying time for all involved and if all you have to offer is sarcasm I would appreciate keeping your comments to yourself and start acting like the moderator you claim to be.
    Your pissed. OK. I can understand that but who died and made you goalkeeper of Internet forum mods? Orion is a damn great mod and you are way off base here. Orion didn't blow up the rear end in that POS but I'll tell you this the kid knows his fucking cars. So get off his ass. I'll offer you this lil tid bit of info. Say another damn thing about any of our mods and I'll ban your ass. You wanna contribute and participate then I'll be happy to have you. We aren't your average gearhead forum. We got some damn fine wrenches here. We got some total dick heads and everything in between. But Orion is one fine mod and a damn good gearhead. So lay off his ass and STFU or participate and contribute. Either way I really don't give a shit.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by bg552 View Post
    Let me start by saying that I am the person who sold him the trans am. I came across this post today, while trying to figure out what could have gone wrong with the car.

For the select few in this thread who jumped all over me, stating that this is "dirty business, and its ILLEGAL. He could goto Jail," you should consider a few things first.

The rear-end was repaired six months ago when I started getting grinding and whining sounds from it. The noises turned out to be 2 broken teeth on the ring gear. The gears and bearings were replaced properly, broken in properly and I have had no problems ever since.

The buyer was informed that the rear-end was repaired, before the car was sold to him.

Since the repair, there has not been a single warning sign of anything going wrong with the rear end. There were no strange noises, bumps or grinds. At the time of the sale, I had absolutely no reason to believe that the rear end would fail.

"A rear just doesn't pop, he knew something was up before he sold it to you. Accidents happen but I highly doubt this was an accident."

I'm sorry but that is an extremely unreasonable and unsupported claim. As I just stated, there were zero warning signs that this would occur and the car was sold in good working condition to the best of my knowledge.

This is an extremely unfortunate occurrence and I feel very badly about it, but I don't appreciate the fact that some of you are blindly accusing me of fraud and illegal activity. The buyer can back me up when I say that I was up front and straight forward about everything that I knew was wrong with the car.
    I think your a straight up kid. Hell...full disclosure is the key here. If I sold my $100,000 GTO that is pristine and runs like a champ right now....I could never "guarantee" something wont break tomorrow. That is just how it is. So I think your a stand up guy and it was just a mechanical failure and the buyer is responsible for it. IMHO.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Just stating that the cover doesn't look like it was off 6 months ago. If it was 6 months ago then congrats on keeping the cover, bolts, and e-brake brackets original and rusty looking.
    Does replacing a set of gears usually involve sand blasting and acid etching the cover, bolts and e-brake brackets to restore them to their original metallic shine? or i am i missing something here?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I think your a straight up kid. Hell...full disclosure is the key here. If I sold my $100,000 GTO that is pristine and runs like a champ right now....I could never "guarantee" something wont break tomorrow. That is just how it is. So I think your a stand up guy and it was just a mechanical failure and the buyer is responsible for it. IMHO.
    I appreciate it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information