blue
    2000 chevy camaro

my car wont start

well first off i have a 2000 camaro 3.8 and my car wont start . the security light is blinking but i can still put the key in and act like im turning it on but when i put the key into the start possion the the gauges flatline and the car does nothing more. well chevy told me it was the ingition but i have seen camaros that the ingition has gone and the starter still tryes to ingauge ya know it clickes my car doesnt even do that .and the car was down for two weeks and started for a day and is doin the same thing now the person that sold the car to me said that it was the key but i got it replaced and that didnt do the trick please help me solve this i want my car fixed

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

I didn't think you could get the key replaced without getting a new tumbler and having the resistance programmed into the bcm

Does the car turn over at all? What you're describing does sound like the pass-II...it's common for one of the wires to break behind the tumbler which prevents the bcm from reading the key. If you can't afford to replace the tumbler then bypass the pass-II system...but if you do that the system won't work anymore.

Your key has a little resistor pellet in it...using a multi-meter measure the resistance of it. Go buy a resistor of equal value at radio shack. Remove the kick panel and you'll see 2 white wires under thee dash coming out of the steering column. For troubleshooting sake put the multi-meter leads across the tumbler side wires (while your key is in the ignition in the off position) and see if it's a open or if it reads the keys value. If it reads the keys value then the problem is somewhere else.

Stick the resistor in the wiring harness on the BCM's side...I taped mine in because it was going to be temporary. It should start up...hopefully
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 06-16-2007 at 08:57 PM. Reason: typos, spelling...usual stuff

Silver
    99 Chrysler 300M

so it has nothing to do with your battery?? My chrysler 300m wouldnt start and i couldnt even use the key to open my driver side door, so i wwnt out and got a new battery and its working fine know

dont know it that will help but GL on getting it fixed i know what it feels like when it doesnt start

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's your vats. I bypassed mine last year. Here's a link that will get you started. Basically you just test your keys resistance and wire in the appropriate resistor on the module side of the ignition. Takes about 30 minutes to do depending on how long it takes you to get the beer out of the fridge.
    vats info

blue
    2000 chevy camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I didn't think you could get the key replaced without getting a new tumbler and having the resistance programmed into the bcm

Does the car turn over at all? What you're describing does sound like the pass-II...it's common for one of the wires to break behind the tumbler which prevents the bcm from reading the key. If you can't afford to replace the tumbler then bypass the pass-II system...but if you do that the system won't work anymore.

Your key has a little resistor pellet in it...using a multi-meter measure the resistance of it. Go buy a resistor of equal value at radio shack. Remove the kick panel and you'll see 2 white wires under thee dash coming out of the steering column. For troubleshooting sake put the multi-meter leads across the tumbler side wires (while your key is in the ignition in the off position) and see if it's a open or if it reads the keys value. If it reads the keys value then the problem is somewhere else.

Stick the resistor in the wiring harness on the BCM's side...I taped mine in because it was going to be temporary. It should start up...hopefully
    thanks man

blue
    2000 chevy camaro

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroDude View Post
    so it has nothing to do with your battery?? My chrysler 300m wouldnt start and i couldnt even use the key to open my driver side door, so i wwnt out and got a new battery and its working fine know

dont know it that will help but GL on getting it fixed i know what it feels like when it doesnt start
    yah its not thebattery cuz my system still has power but thanks anyways

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it's your vats. I bypassed mine last year. Here's a link that will get you started. Basically you just test your keys resistance and wire in the appropriate resistor on the module side of the ignition. Takes about 30 minutes to do depending on how long it takes you to get the beer out of the fridge.
    vats info
    Nice link...tons of info on there

Thread Information