Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

my camaro only starts when she wants to...?

I can turn the key forward all the way to where it should crank the engine, and nothing will happen. It has a brand new battery, I even pulled the battery out and had it tested and its still in perfect working order... So I was messing around with the starter, and I pulled it, I happened to drop it on the ground when i was pulling it from the car, and i took it down to oriellys and had them check it... tested it three times and it passed all three times. I take it back home, tighten the wires, then tighten it back up to the car... Then miraculously my car started... I drove it for about a week and a half without a single problem, then i went to start it yesterday and it turned over (i have to turn mine over twice in order for it to fire, because my walbro f/p) and the motor turned over, then when i went to crank it the next time it wouldnt turn...?

Also to pour some more gas on the fire, i was driving home from work the other night and a co-worker said my tail lights were getting real dim and were barely working... which could be a seperate problem (alternator) or i could just have a big electrical problem...?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

the dimming lights points to alternator.

check relays and fuses and the wires from the battery down to the starter itself. there may be an issue there.

might also want to see if the ignition key is still in good shape.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

I checked all relays and all fuses... i will check the wires to the starter next... and I am really hoping it is not the ignition (key) soleniod inside the steering column

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The starter problem can be the starter. If there is a dead spot in it will only cause a no start at certain times. If it doesnt start again try smacking the starter with something. If it turns right over then the starter is bad.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, you could be looking at a couple of different things. Could be a corroded ground wire, bad alternator, bad starter, bad socket in the tail light housing causing a short, and a couple other things. Start easy and simple and work your way to difficult and expensive. I would probably put a volt meter across that battery the next time the car is running and see if you're getting 14.4 across the battery from the alternator. There will be people post up now telling you how it's always best to get the alt. load tested and putting a volt meter across the battery isn't accurate blah blah blah. I've done it that way for 25 years and it's NEVER been wrong. If the alternator is not charging that will tell you.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

VATS...

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

I just went through the sticky on VATS, I think I'm going to give this a shot tomorrow.. thanks alot for that suggestion

98 Formula
    06 duramax

is your security light on? Vats shouldn't cause tail lights to dim unless you have 2 seperate issues going on. Vats kills the fuel pump and starter so if you're hearing either one of those then vats probably isn't your issue.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

oh, ok well then vats aren't my issue... My fuel pump does engage when i turn the key, I'm assuming it is my starter.. I'm going to have to try to beat on it some and see if it works... if thats the problem then im just going to have to go get a new starter

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

Check for bad connections in the fuse housing. I had the same symptom with an unreliable car. Root cause was the socket to fuse named "start". pulled the fuse and squeezed/tighted the fuse socket. Never had any issue after. You will find this fuse in one of the two fuse boxes located in engine bay.

Silver
    2005 Ram Daytona

yea we checked all the fuse panels... ended up being the starter, it keeps locking up for some reason.. I had to get out and hit it with a hammer every once in a while to start it up haha. As soon as I got that problem solved though my piece of shit 10 bolt started coming apart again. A bolt came loose from the carrier, holding on the ring gear, while I was cruising down the highway... ripped open the diff. cover, and spilt the fluid everywhere. I had to trailer her home, now i'm in the process of finding a good 12 bolt to put in and sell the car. I love my camaro, but it has been a money pit since day one, and I need a truck real bad

Thread Information