Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

My AC is blowing warmish air

My AC is blowing warmish air

when engine is running I turn AC on and do observe the compressers cluch come on.

car is 99TA back in 2002 when I installed the cam I emptied the freeon and removed the condenser then had the AC man refill the sys. since then I haven;t done anything to AC sys.
    I don't drive this car much between 2002 and now however I want to start driving it daily.
    I checked the valve at the dryer and it appears there is to much freeon in the sys it's way over in the red section. see image.
    it's getting kindof hot so AC would be nice, please suggest what I should do next.
    Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Best to hook up a real set of gauges and see what is going on for both the low and high pressure sides of the system. High pressure on the low side may be an indication of an overcharge or a blockage. Is the compressor cycling on and off like it should, or running continuously?

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

how do I check if the compressor cycling on and off like it should?

if I turn the AC on the dash to on the compresser comes on if I turn the AC off on the dash the compresser turns off.
    Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 05-31-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

update initial mearsurement in the red was at 100PSI w/ engine off. and AC button turned off.
    when I turned engine on and turned AC on the mearsurement was just below 25PSI in the white section just outside the green section.

outside temp. is like 90 degree's. very hot.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 05-31-2015 at 11:25 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you hear the compressor cycling as you described, your compressor is fine. You might need another system service(recovery, leak test, etc) to see what is wrong with your system. As Jeff mentioned, your AC system could be overcharged, which will cause the compressor to shut down prematurely, could have a blockage, could have a leak, which could be a hole in a hose or a broken hose if not worn connection gaskets, excess water in your evaporator or a hole in your condenser.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pressure has to be checked with the engine running and the AC on. The compressor cycles on and off with the switch turned on. If it ran all the time, it would freeze up the entire system. Without looking I do not know the exact number to shoot for on the low side, but am guessing in the 35 to 45 lb psi range. It is temperature and humidity dependent. By what you described, your system is low on refrigerant.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

OK so I'll just add some freeon I'm currently at 25PSI how many OZ's doe's the sys. take to get it up to 35-45 PSI from 25PSI?

I bought the 28OZ can and the meter, I also bought the small can I think was 12OZ. should I just add both while watching the meter?

as far as testing to see if the compresser cycles on and off I haven't let the AC sys run for to long just a couple minutes I was afraid if I let it run to long w/ very low freeon it would damage the compresser.
    Thanks
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The system has a pressure switch that will not allow the compressor to engage if the refrigerant charge is insufficient. Set the dial on your can to the correct outside temperature and add refrigerant until the needle is halfway between the marks. It is a s-l-o-w process, but I think that less than one can will suffice to replenish your charge. You need to release the trigger for the gauge to read and you'll see that the pressure cycles up and down with the compressor.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

update I connected the 12OZ can and was only able to add maybe 3PSI, I went from 25 to probablley 28 then the sys decided to not intake any more freeon.
    I increased the RPM the 1K still it would'nt accept more freeon. this process's time duration was 10 minutes, the outside temp. was around 90 degree's.

when I dissconnected the freeon tube from the dryer it felt like the freeon cannister was still full when I shook the can.
    anyway I still have warmish AC.
    do I have to hold the can upsidedown?

how long doe's it take for the compresser to suck in all the 12OZs?
    thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If the system is charging, the can will become cold to the touch (in humid weather frost will even form on it). You should slowly rock the can from the 12:00 o'clock (upright) to the 3:00 o'clock position and back as you charge the system. It can take a while to suck a can down and you want to make sure you are charging it at the low pressure port. Should be the only port the connector will fit on.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If the system is charging, the can will become cold to the touch (in humid weather frost will even form on it). You should slowly rock the can from the 12:00 o'clock (upright) to the 3:00 o'clock position and back as you charge the system. It can take a while to suck a can down and you want to make sure you are charging it at the low pressure port. Should be the only port the connector will fit on.
    Jeff,

I remember, during the days of R12, that the systems needed to be evacuated of moisture from time to time, or moisture from even tiny leaks would hamper the cooling ability. Has this changed with R134?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Still the same as far as I know. Pumping them down with vacuum for an extended period boils away any moisture. I would not evacuate the entire system though unless you have to crack something open to fix a leak or replace a component. By law, system evacuation has to be performed by a machine that collects it so that none is vented into the atmosphere.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

update on Astro vans AC
    when compressor is off guage mearsures freeon as full

when compressor is on guage mearsures freeon as low.

still warmish air.

I was only able to add about 1/3 of the small can.

http://vid910.photobucket.com/albums...stroFREEON.mp4
    Thanks

http://vid910.photobucket.com/albums...stroFREEON.mp4
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 08-03-2015 at 03:38 AM.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    need to release the trigger for the gauge to read and you'll see that the pressure cycles up and down with the compressor.
    Jeff so don't pay attention to the guage when the compressor is off?

only go by the guage when the compressor is on?

because there 2 different readings
    when compressor is off guage mearsures freeon as full

when compressor is on guage mearsures freeon as low.

I'm confussed

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Go to the local auto store and rent some gauges. It will give a much better idea on what is wrong.

Black
    2002 WS6

I does sound like you are low on R134, however I really think you should bite the bullet an take it to an A/C shop for a charge.
    Damaging the system will cost a lot more than a charge. This is from someone who has charged a lot of systems.
    If you cannot then buy/rent/borrow a set of gauges and get a temp/press table.

Thread Information