Multiple Trans Am problems

This is a discussion on Multiple Trans Am problems within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; For a couple years now I occasionaly hear a clinking sound from either the transmission or rear end when I ...

Medium Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Multiple Trans Am problems

For a couple years now I occasionaly hear a clinking sound from either the transmission or rear end when I shift the vehicle into reverse. The sound is hear immediatley after shifting and then stops. It's an automatic transmission. Also kind of strange, is that when turning while backing up, the brakes behave like I'm braking on ice, possibly the ABS or something. Any thoughts? I bought this car used from someone who apparently did not take good care of it. Other issues I've had are difficulty getting it properly aligned and the driver's side t-top sits too far forward leaving a gap at the back where it touchs the roof. Any thoughts on all of this? I'm going to take it to a body shop and have them check the frame (I don't have subframe connectors) even though carfax showed no wrecks when I bought it.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

iiish

Sounds like it was put in the ditch or something to me everything should line up perfectly. I think you got railed on that one I'm sorry to hear that, some people are freaking crooks today. Get it checked right away and if it's under 30 days in Canada anyway we have a protection law he will give you your money back if it's a dealer and if it's private there is always court

Medium Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Well at this point I've had the car too long to take it back, so I'm kind of stuck with figuring out the issues and fixing them as best as possible.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

does the "clink" just do it one time as you're shifting into reverse? Could just need some u-joints if it does. As far as the brakes I'm not sure.....how old are the brakes on it. The abs will pulse the pedal so you'd know if it was engaging.

Medium Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Yes the clink is only the one time, are the u-joints expensive to replace? The brakes have behaved like this since I got the car and after replacing them. It feels kind of like the pulse from the ABS, sort of a grinding feeling, its very strange. It only happens when turning and backing at the same time, usually when on an encline.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

The brakes could be just the abs acting funny. If it has traction control that could be contributing to it. I am pretty sure you can do some adjustments to the t-tops. I am sure someone on this site has done it before. Have you tried getting it aligned at a different shop?

Medium Blue
    1999 Trans Am

The car does have traction control. I did go to a different shop for another alignment and it drives straighter now, though the guy that did the alignment said he had to make adjustments outside of the computer's recomendations to do it. I don't know how to adjust the T-tops. I guess I could try getting new T-top rubber seals and see if that fills in the gap better. Maybe the previous owner replaced a t-top and thats why it doesn't fit as well.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Chief762x39 View Post
    For a couple years now I occasionaly hear a clinking sound from either the transmission or rear end when I shift the vehicle into reverse. The sound is hear immediatley after shifting and then stops. It's an automatic transmission.
    Maybe a bad trans mount

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I bet it's his u-joints. Mine does the same thing every now and then. It pings through the driveshaft. Mines done it for a long time even after a bunch of runs down the track. I have a safety loop so I just let it do what it's gotta do. I'll swap them out eventually.

u-joints are cheap. If you find a mom and pop shop they may press the old ones out and new ones in for $20 or so. Just have to stop and ask some places. I would go buy the u-joints first and then just stop in somewhere and ask how much they'd charge you to swap them out. You can do it yourself but you're gonna need a big vice and socket to use as a press and a torch to melt the nylon locks out of the u-joint. I've done a bunch of them.

Black
    00 WS6

I agree with Orion, my car does it now and I have had several other vehicles with a similar sound and it has been the u-joints.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by qwk93ta View Post
    I agree with Orion, my car does it now and I have had several other vehicles with a similar sound and it has been the u-joints.
    Also let it be known that with a stock aluminum driveshaft these noises are common. Replaced both of mine and the sound is still there.

I do beleive their might be a TSB about it. Though I cant locate it.

Thread Information