Thread: Motor temp??

silver/black strip
    1998 Z-28 Camaro

Motor temp??

Hello everyone. Lately I was looking through the fourms looking at what you guys had to say about thermostates. I have read that the it's sometimes better to have to just leave your stock thermostate in to get the best mpg. But my 98 camaro doesn't seem to run that well when it gets past to 210. Should I find a shop to reprogam my fans to come on at a lower temp?

black
    2002 WS6

Sounds like you may have other underlying issues, more details would be nice to offer you better advice, but my suggestion would be to get a total cooling system flush to remove any scale and sediment.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree with Orcus. Also make sure that your fans are coming on and that a fuse or relay has not gone bad.

White
    97 3.8L Firebird 5 Speed

I am not sure when they put the new gauges in the F-bodys but from the model year 1999 and possibly late production 1998 the coolant gauge really only has 3 temps, COLD, N-O-T and HOT, your car might be running between Normal operating Temperature and Hot but isn't telling you. just my .02

on the subject of coolant, which coolant do yo guys prefer to go in the Ls1s??

black
    2002 WS6

I went with dexcool, when I had the system flushed and waterpump replaced

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

dexcool here

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dexcool here. Most any scan tool will read your actual engine temp. We have a 180 degree thermostat and re-programmed fan settings to match. The engine temp always runs 183 to 195 depending upon speed and load. Our factory temp gauge reads 205, no matter what. You have a '98 which I believe has a working gauge -- that said, you may want to double check it with a scanner for accuracy.

did you guys ever hear that dexcool was bad? idk i just thought ppl tried to steer away from it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch094 View Post
    did you guys ever hear that dexcool was bad? idk i just thought ppl tried to steer away from it.
    Story goes back to when it originally came out and there were some problems. All that has changed in the years since. As long as you perform regular cooling system maintenance Dexcool is fine to run imo.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch094 View Post
    nah thats an urban legend. People just get scared by new things they don't understand and put blame where it doesn't belong

I gotcha, yea i still use Dexcool but you guys were my last people to ask. Ive heard both ways, but im going with you guys on this one ahah thanks!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chadler View Post
    Hello everyone. Lately I was looking through the fourms looking at what you guys had to say about thermostates. I have read that the it's sometimes better to have to just leave your stock thermostate in to get the best mpg. But my 98 camaro doesn't seem to run that well when it gets past to 210. Should I find a shop to reprogam my fans to come on at a lower temp?
    I changed my thermostat to a 180F, I had an accurate digital water temperature gauge installed on the pillar, and with the stock thermo, it was reading 215F+ during normal driving. I personally believe that the temperature is too hot for an all aluminum block.

With the new thermo, and the fan turn on / off adjusted, I run 185F on the freeway, 190-195 in town. The temp will get to 200 when idiling at a stop light. I live in a warm climate.

SteveC

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I forgot to mention -- another way to check your coolant temp is with a laser temperature gun. They are now available at most auto parts stores for around $50 and work quite well. Just shoot the thermostat housing after the engine is warmed up and you'll get a pretty accurate reading.

Thread Information