Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motor Mounts?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Motor Mounts?

I have a 2000 ws6 with 107k and am planning on doing full bolt ons. I havent had any motor mounts go bad but was just wondering how the stockers will hold up with the added power. Will I more than likely need to replace them or will they hold up? Thanks

Black
    1999 Trans Am

they should hold up fine even with the added power.

they're a fucking bitch to replace....I wouldnt do it til you're up in there doing headers or something or until you absolutely have to

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

How much power are we talking? Poly mounts are a good idear although they do creat a bit more noise because of the stiffness.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorangess View Post
    How much power are we talking? Poly mounts are a good idear although they do creat a bit more noise because of the stiffness.
    J
    Mid to high 300 range. I have a poly tranny mount and i notice it a little bit. But thats what I would probably go with if I did have to replace them

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I havent installed mine yet but no perforance shop will touch them unless you are doing a header swap OR your willing to pay out the ass. I talked to a guy at the track last year about it and was like i was pulling teeth just talking about them

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I have poly mounts, they are well worth the installation effort. The stock rubber mounts deteriorate and cause excessive powertrain movement, when I pulled the driver side mount out at 85,000 it was completely shot.

The poly mounts do create move NVH in the cabin, but these are performance cars, and some of that is expected when you start modding, its no different then installing lowering springs and having the side effect of a much stiffer ride.

I dropped the headers down to install mine, it made it much easier, although it was still quite a job.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Definetly go poly! I still have the stock ones and my motor moves all over. My installer recomended getting poly mounts soon! Summit sells them for a good price.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Do poly mounts create a really bad vibration. I have a poly transmission mount as I said and I can notice it but if I changed all the motor mounts Im worried if it will make for an uncomfortable ride?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by One_Bad_TA View Post
    Do poly mounts create a really bad vibration. I have a poly transmission mount as I said and I can notice it but if I changed all the motor mounts Im worried if it will make for an uncomfortable ride?
    From what ive talked to the people on here and locally it just makes more road noise. Vibration in the tranny mount is usually caused by the off set driveshaft angle

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    From what ive talked to the people on here and locally it just makes more road noise. Vibration in the tranny mount is usually caused by the off set driveshaft angle
    Is the offset driveshaft angle bad? And how many mounts are there?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Is the offset driveshaft angle bad? And how many mounts are there?
    Two mounts on each side of the engine. Gotta drill out the welds and grind/burn out the old stuff. The angle isnt that bad. I deal with mine in my DD, I have another smaller prothane mount ill throw in sometime, but I think an adjustable torque arm would cure a lot.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Two mounts on each side of the engine. Gotta drill out the welds and grind/burn out the old stuff. The angle isnt that bad. I deal with mine in my DD, I have another smaller prothane mount ill throw in sometime, but I think an adjustable torque arm would cure a lot.
    I have an Energy Poly transmission mount and I didnt use the plate that it came with so hopefully it aint to bad. Im doin headers in the near future should I just change them out while im at it? There are not bad but I just dont want to deal with any extra vibration and or annoying noise that may come with it.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I have an Energy Poly transmission mount and I didnt use the plate that it came with so hopefully it aint to bad. Im doin headers in the near future should I just change them out while im at it? There are not bad but I just dont want to deal with any extra vibration and or annoying noise that may come with it.

It would be totally worth it IMO. They are cheap.Broke motor mounts can cause.
    A. A broke transmission mount
    B.Rubbing of the driveline.

Ive seen it where the torque arm can rub the DS because of this.

Im still running my stock mounts at 156k though. so there is another opinion. and I go WOT daily.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

It would be totally worth it IMO. They are cheap.Broke motor mounts can cause.
    A. A broke transmission mount
    B.Rubbing of the driveline.

Ive seen it where the torque arm can rub the DS because of this.

Im still running my stock mounts at 156k though. so there is another opinion. and I go WOT daily.
    Do you have any mods? I am also an m6 so its a little tougher on mine. But i always do WOT as well. Thats a big reason why I own my car

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Yep, tranny stall and prothane mounts arent installed yet LOL

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Ha not bad well when the headers come here I will debate on whether to change them or not. I just wanted to see what others recommend. Thanks for the help

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Ha not bad well when the headers come here I will debate on whether to change them or not. I just wanted to see what others recommend. Thanks for the help
    Change them while you are in there.

I made the same mistake, and I ended up pulling off my headers again to do the motor mounts.

Lets just say that the driver's side header banging the floorboard when the motor torques over is a good indication that you should have done the damn motor mounts while you were in there

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Change them while you are in there.

I made the same mistake, and I ended up pulling off my headers again to do the motor mounts.

Lets just say that the driver's side header banging the floorboard when the motor torques over is a good indication that you should have done the damn motor mounts while you were in there
    Can you hear anything while you are cruising or when the radios on? And do they cause any unpleasant vibration?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Can you hear anything while you are cruising or when the radios on? And do they cause any unpleasant vibration?
    No, you don't hear anything at all while cruisng. You will hear more of whats going on with the powertrain while you're in traffic, for instance, but its nothing annoying.

However, you will get slightly more vibrations through the shifter at higher speeds, but you'll get used to it and stop noticing after a few days.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I would replace just the transmission mount instead of the motor mounts. I would go with a Prothane unit. This will stiffen the drivetrain up just fine.

SteveC

Thread Information