Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Motor Mount Question

I know this question may have been beaten to death but, my y pipe is banging due to a full exhaust install and my passenger header is really close to the floorboard but I am not sure if that is causing any vibration. The question is which type of motor mounts would fix this problem, I have read that solids raise the motor up some and I don't understand how that would fix my y pipe from banging or any vibration from the exhaust for that matter. If I could get some help that would be great.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any pics? I had all sorts of clearance on the passenger side. It was my driver side Y that was kind of tight to the floorboard. If the engine mounts are raised, the engine and transmission will pivot on the transmission mount. You should be able to visualize how that will affect your exhaust -- it will angle the header collectors downward. This being said, I have no idea if there is any height difference in mounts.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

solid mounts will cause less movement from your engine, therefore keeping your exhaust pipes more stable, making it less possible to bang against the floor..i just swapped my stock mounts for prothane polyurethane mounts...its not a fun task, but with a little patience, it can be done in a day. Bad thing is, youre gonna wanna remove the headers to get to the mounts, thus creating even more work.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any pics? I had all sorts of clearance on the passenger side. It was my driver side Y that was kind of tight to the floorboard. If the engine mounts are raised, the engine and transmission will pivot on the transmission mount. You should be able to visualize how that will affect your exhaust -- it will angle the header collectors downward. This being said, I have no idea if there is any height difference in mounts.
    Ok that makes sense. I don't have any pictures I'll take some and post them up when I get home from work today but another question to add, when I decelerate my exhaust sometimes rattles from what it sounds like the rear passenger side. Would the motor mounts fix that or is that just a loose clamp or hanger or something?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Ok that makes sense. I don't have any pictures I'll take some and post them up when I get home from work today but another question to add, when I decelerate my exhaust sometimes rattles from what it sounds like the rear passenger side. Would the motor mounts fix that or is that just a loose clamp or hanger or something?

A poly mount will tighten things up a bit. If it still rattles, there is an aftermarket mount that you can install on the Y-pipe to keep it from banging. I think Cutlass posted a pic of one in a thread several months ago.

I worked on our Y for quite a while adjusting the slip fit and angle of the pipes to gain as much clearance as I could under the driver floorboard. Remember too that you have to tighten the piss out of the band clamps. Every time our car is in the air, I double check my clamps to ensure that they are still tight.

Black/ Silver

A poly mount will tighten things up a bit. If it still rattles, there is an aftermarket mount that you can install on the Y-pipe to keep it from banging. I think Cutlass posted a pic of one in a thread several months ago.

I worked on our Y for quite a while adjusting the slip fit and angle of the pipes to gain as much clearance as I could under the driver floorboard. Remember too that you have to tighten the piss out of the band clamps. Every time our car is in the air, I double check my clamps to ensure that they are still tight.
    Do you happen to have a link for that thread? Here's the pics of the header that is real close to the floorboard.

It was really hard to get the right angle to show how close the header is but basically I can barely fit my finger in between it and the floorboard and I couldn't get a picture of the y-pipe where it is hitting because of the angle. The y pipe is hitting right where it merges together and I couldn't even get my finger in between it and the floorboard. So my question is what would be better to go with solid or poly motor mounts?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Damm thats pretty close.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Do you happen to have a link for that thread? Here's the pics of the header that is real close to the floorboard.

Here is a link to the post that shows the bracket: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...9&postcount=33

Black/ Silver

Here is a link to the post that shows the bracket: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showpost.p...9&postcount=33
    Oh I have seen those. So for motor mounts I should be fine going with either solid or poly right? As in either won't cause more clearance issues.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Oh I have seen those. So for motor mounts I should be fine going with either solid or poly right? As in either won't cause more clearance issues.

Can not say for sure that you will not have an issue -- just depends on your exhaust setup and the installation. Only one way to find out...

Black/ Silver

Can not say for sure that you will not have an issue -- just depends on your exhaust setup and the installation. Only one way to find out...
    Alright thanks for the help. I think I am going to go with solid motor mounts and also get a poly transmission mount too.

Pewter
    99 Z/28

my 2 cents: i have true duals and they would bang when the engine would twist. i need motor mounts as well. but when i installed my rear lca's 90% of the rattling went away lol

silver
    2000 formula

my drivers side header is about a 1/8 from the floorboard after poly mount install

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    my drivers side header is about a 1/8 from the floorboard after poly mount install
    Does your exhaust rattle after the poly install?

silver
    2000 formula

the whole exhaust system does not move a inch......thanks to the solid polys

rust.....
    '50 Chevy Styleline

If your exhaust is vibrating now, wait until you get solid motor mounts. they'll vibrate the fillings right out of your teeth. unless you running it a 1/4 mile at a time

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by fat50 View Post
    If your exhaust is vibrating now, wait until you get solid motor mounts. they'll vibrate the fillings right out of your teeth. unless you running it a 1/4 mile at a time
    erm... where are you getting this info from??? i run solid motor and trans mounts and have very little vibration... solid mounts will stop the exhaust from hitting the floor boards due to the motor not twisting under throttle...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

He is getting his info from this forum.

Lots of people on here have complained about the added vibration due to "solid" motor mounts.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    He is getting his info from this forum.

Lots of people on here have complained about the added vibration due to "solid" motor mounts.
    count me on this. I just did mine and I'm not liking the new vibration at idle. It might help the exhaust issue but for a DD is kinda of a pain to feel this vibrations everytime the car is at idle. I'm thinking about switching back OEM ones. I don't think the poly mounts soften up after a while, its pretty much the way they are which is more solid.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

the vibration is from the engine, not the exhaust hitting the floor pan....i believe thats the complaint about solid mounts...

Thread Information