Thread: More HP

More HP

I have a 2001 Camaro Z28. I have installed a K&N air filter, SLP Catback exhaust and reprogrammed my computer with a Diablo Predator programmer. I don't know what to do next. I read a little about the LS6 intake manifold replacement but it seems there are mixed opinions. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do next to get the most out of my LS1?

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Next things as far as making power would probably be:
    1) Lid (they're all pretty much the same)
    2) Headers (optimally Long Tubes w/ no cats)
    3) Intake (either the LS6 intake or the FAST intake. Neither one has an EGR hookup)

After that, your engine is probably ready for a cam... The rest of the car, however, is a different story. You're going to want to stiffen the chassis with subframe connectors and tower brace, then probably do lower control arms, a panhard bar, and a poly transmission mount to get all the power to the ground. A brake upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea either

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

You have an '01 ... the LS6 intake was standard on the '01 and '02.

Your next mod shoud be a lid or FIPK.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    Next things as far as making power would probably be:
    1) Lid (they're all pretty much the same)
    2) Headers (optimally Long Tubes w/ no cats)
    3) Intake (either the LS6 intake or the FAST intake. Neither one has an EGR hookup)

After that, your engine is probably ready for a cam... The rest of the car, however, is a different story. You're going to want to stiffen the chassis with subframe connectors and tower brace, then probably do lower control arms, a panhard bar, and a poly transmission mount to get all the power to the ground. A brake upgrade wouldn't be a bad idea either
    And like mystic said..you already have a ls6 manifold on your 01 maro. Do the free mods if you want...cause they're free, the FRA is a good one. Also port your throttle body, do the bump stop mod on it and make sure your throttle cable is adjusted correctly so that there's no slack in the cable.
    http://installuniversity.com/install...sity/index.htm

More HP?

Okay, I really feel like an idiot here but what is a "lid"? Also what does the acronym "FIPK" stand for? It appears that I am a little more ignorant than I thought. I do appreciate your suggestions.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by utechdw
    Okay, I really feel like an idiot here but what is a "lid"? Also what does the acronym "FIPK" stand for? It appears that I am a little more ignorant than I thought. I do appreciate your suggestions.
    Don't feel like an idiot, i didn't know what a lid was at first.

Basically, a lid is a new intake box (the thing in the very front right above the radiator) that has better airflow. This is due to a few things: A) The lid doesn't have the fins on the inside, allowing a greater volume of air through. B) It doesn't have the resonator boxes on the side (the big, suitcase looking things right above the stock airbox). C) It has a larger, circular port going to the MAF, whereas the stock one has a weird oval shaped one.

I can't recall what FIPK stands for, but I have probably already done it...

More HP 3

Thanks jimbo98z. You have been extremely helpful. I am especially curious about a new cam. Replacing the existing camshaft seems like a lot of work. Are there aftermarket cams that would make a real difference? Is there is a bigger cam that would get me more horsepower?

silver
    2000 camaro ss

o yes indeed

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    Fuel Injection Performance Kit

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

A cam can pretty much change the whole nature of the engine. There is a huge range of cams out there for sale, and each has it's own pros and cons. Once you get into really big cams (over about 235 in duration) you start to lose low end as you gain top end.

If you do get a cam, it truly is worth it. If you call most companies that make cams or sell them, you can talk with them about what cam would be best for your setup. It's possible to add as much as 75 or more horsepower with a cam, but it's best to look at drivebility of the car with that cam, and what kind of driving you expect to use the car for. There is no true best all around cam.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Do you have an auto or stick? If it's an auto then a stall convertor is a must have. If it's a stick I'd look at headers.

silver
    2000 camaro ss

i mean from a average sized cam like the 224 on a 112 lsa paired with all the proper bolt ons youll see around 30-40 hp, just from the cam alone.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    Do you have an auto or stick? If it's an auto then a stall convertor is a must have. If it's a stick I'd look at headers.
    Regardless of auto or stick, headers come before a cam to maximize the gains from the cam. Forgot to mention it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Looking back for me personally I wish my first mods would've been the stall and drag radials. Those 2 mods combined make for some decent gains for the money. I'm in the process of putting a 12 bolt in now and I'm going to 3.73's from 3.23's and I'm pretty curious as to what my gains are going to be from the gear swap. I use a g-tech to compare gains from mods but these will not be as accurate because I forgot to run it after my LS6 intake and Shaner TB. I won't be able to tell my gains just from the gears but it'll have the other 2 in there also. I'm hoping for 3-4 tenths but I doubt I'll see that much.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    Looking back for me personally I wish my first mods would've been the stall and drag radials. Those 2 mods combined make for some decent gains for the money. I'm in the process of putting a 12 bolt in now and I'm going to 3.73's from 3.23's and I'm pretty curious as to what my gains are going to be from the gear swap. I use a g-tech to compare gains from mods but these will not be as accurate because I forgot to run it after my LS6 intake and Shaner TB. I won't be able to tell my gains just from the gears but it'll have the other 2 in there also. I'm hoping for 3-4 tenths but I doubt I'll see that much.
    I saw very little gains from gears ... but it did improve my MPH.

white
    98 SS

I say gears if you dont want spend too much (you can alter the speedo after w/ your programmer). If you want to spend more, go for the Long tubes, cam , and tune.

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

Headers, Cam, and Tuning combined with a Lid and your Catback will make your car a totally different driving machine...it will feel like a monster compared to the way it feels now

Thread Information