More air

This is a discussion on More air within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Most of the Camaros are what some call, bottom feeders, since they get their air from the air dam under ...

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

More air

Most of the Camaros are what some call, bottom feeders, since they get their air from the air dam under the front. Has anyone tried opening up the front panels (both sides of license plate) to get more air? Would that affect the aerodynamics? Or cause too much air under the hood? Just wondered if anyone thought of it or even tried it.. Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Turbo/SC guys use them for induction and for their inter-coolers. So yeah in principal it would work.

Others open the ram air vents on the hood. Problem is it only truly works when you get into triple digits.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You could remove the styrofoam from the vents and run Spectre induction tubing through the openings and route them up under the airbox once you open the bottom.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Your best bet for more air aside from forcing it in is to get an aftermarket lid which also removes the air resonator. Anything else IMO wouldn't be worth the effort for the minute gains you'd see.
    It's on jackstands.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Oops, sorry guys. I guess I should have been more clear. I was meaning more air circulation for the radiator, but I take it from Scott's reply that since it seems to be used for an inter cooler, it should also help the cooling sys. YES?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Any particular reason why you're asking? Is your car running hot?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    Oops, sorry guys. I guess I should have been more clear. I was meaning more air circulation for the radiator, but I take it from Scott's reply that since it seems to be used for an inter cooler, it should also help the cooling sys. YES?
    Again in theory - yes. But the air damn on the bottom forces the air over the radiator and into the air lid. You're not going to get much better then that.

If you're looking to cool the engine bay temps down you have better options other then messing with the air flow of the nose.

LT's - Ceramic Coated headers help keep the temps down over all the others with the exception of header wrap tape.

Hood - There are several aftermarket hoods that have heat extractors. WSQ, Raptor, and the Firehawk clone hood all help pull air out of the engine bay.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Again in theory - yes. But the air damn on the bottom forces the air over the radiator and into the air lid. You're not going to get much better then that.

If you're looking to cool the engine bay temps down you have better options other then messing with the air flow of the nose.

LT's - Ceramic Coated headers help keep the temps down over all the others with the exception of header wrap tape.

Hood - There are several aftermarket hoods that have heat extractors. WSQ, Raptor, and the Firehawk clone hood all help pull air out of the engine bay.
    *Also theory on my part but if your getting alot of ''air'' entering under the hood and that has no place to exit...I would think that would cause ''drag''...Like doing a run with your windows down or T-tops off?...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I have a SLP-CAI and lid....which has an aluminum box that attatches to the in front of the radiator right behind the air dam..Installation requires a little modification to the plastics in front of the radiator that let more air hit it too!! and gets rid of those restrictive ugly baffles!

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by cruzincamaro View Post
    Most of the Camaros are what some call, bottom feeders, since they get their air from the air dam under the front. Has anyone tried opening up the front panels (both sides of license plate) to get more air? Would that affect the aerodynamics? Or cause too much air under the hood? Just wondered if anyone thought of it or even tried it.. Thanks
    I'm sure the engineers at GM have tried that since most cars breath through the grille. I do not know if it will do any good with cooling since you already have electric fans. Let us know how it works for you.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    I have a SLP-CAI and lid....which has an aluminum box that attatches to the in front of the radiator right behind the air dam..Installation requires a little modification to the plastics in front of the radiator that let more air hit it too!! and gets rid of those restrictive ugly baffles!
    The SLP Lid is pretty good, however the CAI IMHO is a very effective way to get hydrolock on rainy days. It funnels water into the air lid very well if you get caught in a storm and run into deep puddles.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Living in Northern California and with all the bad winter droughts we`ve been having im pretty safe but will heed your warning and watch out for puddles when it does rain! In wet weather areas are you suggesting no CAI or just one that isnt so close to the ground?

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

No 35th, car not running hot, according to my "exclnt" OEM gauge. But seriously, I also logged it like the forum suggested. I was just curious about it, but by the consensus of the replies, it might be too much for too little, so I decided to look for something else to tinker with. Thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated!!

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

I have never had a problem with the free ram air getting any water into the engine. Filter has never been wet and I do drive it in the rain (when it does rain in Wy).
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Living in Northern California and with all the bad winter droughts we`ve been having im pretty safe but will heed your warning and watch out for puddles when it does rain! In wet weather areas are you suggesting no CAI or just one that isnt so close to the ground?
    Many ppl still use the SLP CAI with no issues.

My warning is mainly if you get caught out in the rain and you have roads that tend to flood a few inches of water be very careful. That CAI acts like a ramp if you hit a puddle that is a few inches deep and moving.

I try to avoid any puddles when in my TA but the area I live in we get more average rain fall then any where else in the US. So not driving it is not an option. It is rare that we have a rain storm last more then 6 hrs unless it is a tropical depression/storm or hurricane.

2001 CAMARO SS / Black
    2009 COLORADO V8/dk gray

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Many ppl still use the SLP CAI with no issues.

My warning is mainly if you get caught out in the rain and you have roads that tend to flood a few inches of water be very careful. That CAI acts like a ramp if you hit a puddle that is a few inches deep and moving.

I try to avoid any puddles when in my TA but the area I live in we get more average rain fall then any where else in the US. So not driving it is not an option. It is rare that we have a rain storm last more then 6 hrs unless it is a tropical depression/storm or hurricane.
    Good advice..During the last heavy rain here, my nephew, driving an Accord with a cold air sys. with the air intake in the front fenderwell, drove thru running water and sucked water into engine . $2,500.00 to fix.

Thread Information