Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mods to make the ultimate MPG LS1

This is a discussion on Mods to make the ultimate MPG LS1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; That's a great article on toulene-very informative.We can get 93 octane around here so I don't need to boost my ...

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

That's a great article on toulene-very informative.We can get 93 octane around here so I don't need to boost my octane;but if you read what they are saying there about octane and power and performance-it kind of follows that mileage goes right along w/it. In other words,using 87 octane will lead to lower gas mileage,along with poor performance.I will continue to use 93 octane in my car,if somebody else wants to experiment let us know how it goes.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Looks to me like if you use the best of whats beens suggested, always keep your tires inflated properly, and always keep your foot out of it, you should be able to squeeze out 30+ on a regular basis. Use the skip-shift, don't let your car idle to warm up, make short trips while the car is hot and use momentum to your advantage.

If you coast to a stop, you're using very little fuel, but if you maintain speed then brake to a quick stop, you've wasted that fuel. If you get the scanguage you'll see. Also, if you coast long enough, sometimes you'll be able to accelerate back up to speed from 20-25 mph instead of a complete stop.

02z28ls1 is right, there is just as much to how you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    No, LS1's are not designed to run E85. The VCM needs to sense the fuel mixture in the system and then switch the fuel tables accordingly. The stoich ratio for ethanol is lower than gasoline (it takes 14.7 parts of air to burn 1 part gasoline - it takes less air to burn ethanol, so you must burn more fuel)

I have a Ford Taurus wagon which is Flex fuel. I have tried a couple tanks of E85 here in southern Illinois and the mileage takes a plunge. I went from getting 22-23 mpg on gasoline to 16-17 mpg on E85.
    put e85 in your fbody and the computer tables will be the least of your worries!

TooSlow
    I am really psyched to give these ideas a try now once I pick up an LS1. As has been pointed out, I am an INCREDIBLY cheap person. No, affording the fuel isn't an issue, I just don't want to spend more than I have to--and I still want a vehicle with gobs 'o power. I think the LS1 is the car to do it!

Realistically I'll probably wait until April before I shift the car search into high gear--no point in driving my "new" car in snow unless I have to. Thanks again for all of the great replies and support.

TooSlow

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
    put e85 in your fbody and the computer tables will be the least of your worries!
    There is a lot of information on http://www.e85fuel.com.

Yes, ethanol is corrosive, and it would wreak havoc on the fuel system. My point was, before any of that happened, you may burn up an engine to boot on that very lean mixture.

ethanol fuel is insanity,even a car built for using e85 is gonna have a short life with lots of repairs.people rarely do routine maintainance.the maintainance needed on a alcohol run engine is constant.ever see the insides of a engine that uses alky fuel?it dilutes the oil and ruins everything.i would stay far away from ANY fuel that has alcohol in it.i don't care what they tell you i've seen it time after time.alcohol damages things slowly but surely unless EVERYTHING in the fuel system-engine is built for it.even then how do you stop alcohol diluted engine oil from eatting the internals of the engine when the engine is not started for a few days.sure as long as its running its ok,but once you turn the engine off and all that alcohol-water based blowby starts to eat everything it won't be long before the sheeet hits the fan.don't be foolish gasoline is a proven safe fuel without any bs involved.alcohol based fuels are nothing but trouble.

Dark Green
    95 AZ Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by hammertime
    Looks to me like if you use the best of whats beens suggested, always keep your tires inflated properly, and always keep your foot out of it, you should be able to squeeze out 30+ on a regular basis. Use the skip-shift, don't let your car idle to warm up, make short trips while the car is hot and use momentum to your advantage.

If you coast to a stop, you're using very little fuel, but if you maintain speed then brake to a quick stop, you've wasted that fuel. If you get the scanguage you'll see. Also, if you coast long enough, sometimes you'll be able to accelerate back up to speed from 20-25 mph instead of a complete stop.

02z28ls1 is right, there is just as much to how you drive.
    wanted to reiterate this. Especially if there is someone coming up on you, let them get by. They will slow down, and then trigger the light.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Let somebody else trigger the automatic stoplights-ha-thats sneaky,I like that.I was watching the scanguage yesterday on a little trip I took.It was easy to get about 35 mpg on the highway if I kept my speed at around 60 in 6th gear. Everybody else was trying to figure out why I was going 60,then they would get tired of it and speed on around me. But then when I got off the hiway and got stuck at some stoplights,had to turn around cause I didn't see the place the first time by,then stopped and made a phone call on the cell,left it idling. Basically drove home after that but this time did 70 on the hiway,got stuck in a traffic jam immediately after exitting the hiway(middle of the afternoon-gotta love it)--long story short,mainly hiway was 30+ mpg-then driving around city type dragged down the trip average to 23 mpg. Like I was saying-these cars are capable of giving great gas mileage on the hiway if you try,but the city stop and go and idling and traffic jams kill it back down.

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    Let somebody else trigger the automatic stoplights-ha-thats sneaky,I like that.I was watching the scanguage yesterday on a little trip I took.It was easy to get about 35 mpg on the highway if I kept my speed at around 60 in 6th gear. Everybody else was trying to figure out why I was going 60,then they would get tired of it and speed on around me. But then when I got off the hiway and got stuck at some stoplights,had to turn around cause I didn't see the place the first time by,then stopped and made a phone call on the cell,left it idling. Basically drove home after that but this time did 70 on the hiway,got stuck in a traffic jam immediately after exitting the hiway(middle of the afternoon-gotta love it)--long story short,mainly hiway was 30+ mpg-then driving around city type dragged down the trip average to 23 mpg. Like I was saying-these cars are capable of giving great gas mileage on the hiway if you try,but the city stop and go and idling and traffic jams kill it back down.
    BS!
    you got 35mpg in your panties!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

dead &ss serious-there is an instant mileage reading on the scangauge-if I keep it at 60 mph in sixth gear on flat ground on a straight stretch you can get over 40 mpg(at that time).What you will see though is that even things like turning the steering wheel starts to scrub off mpg.If the highway goes up a slight rise mileage will drop back,a steeper rise with a turn will drop you back into the lower 20 mpg range.But I believe it would be possible to get an average of 35 mpg out of my car on the highway if you didn't have to factor in any other off-highway driving into that mileage figure.Let me explain that further-I'm saying 35 mpg if you started taking the average after you already were up to 60 mpg,not including any other time. But that's the point I'm trying to make here-You will lose a lot of that mpg average in any kind of "city" driving.I can get better than average mpg by driving very smoothly (if I feel like it)but hell it's a sportscar and a very high powered one at that so I let it rip every now and again. Sometimes you just gotta say w/the hell!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by YoMommasTA
    BS!
    you got 35mpg in your panties!
    Instantaneous mileage, not average. You literally need to get to speed and hold it steady to get that mileage.

However, if you drove a long strech of highway, lets say you fuel up at the nearest pump to the interstate, drive for 4-5 hours on flat straight interstate, we're talking Kansas here, then get off and get fuel at the nearest station, I'm betting you could get there. When you log that many miles, with as little start/stop city driving as possible, and without high speed driving where aerodynamic drag pushes mileage back down.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yep-thats what I'm talking about.Even bad weather and/or a strong headwind will drop that mileage down-once you are able to track it accurately it's very interesting. In 6th gear going down a hill at 60 mph your f-body is actually getting 70 + mpg(put it into neutral and you will top 100!)-but going up the other side of that hill it could drop back to 20.It's just a question of where and how you are driving.

lee1rbc
    This looks like a mythbusters type of thing. Can a 3400lb V8 car get 35mpg over at least a 2hr constant driving period. On a full weight LS1 I dont think you can break 30 IMO, At 60mph you could only burn 3.42 gallons of gas in two hours to make 35mpg. I think my car could burn close to that just idling in my driveway.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Yep-idling in your driveway is 0 mpg. Actually the scangauge I keep talking about gives a gallons per hour readout also. Again I'm talking about the mileage you would get on the hiway at a steady 60 on flat ground-not accelerating up to speed-not pulling off the hiway and looking at the hookers at the truck stop(hehe),just the time you are actually on the hiway.I know you could get over 30-it's just a question of how much over that. What kills your mileage is the city stuff.Took a little trip yesterday that was close to 4 miles round trip.Stopped at the Autozone,grocery store ,and the Steak and Shake (good food!),alot of stop and go in between but just normal commute type driving-no stoplight racing. Only got 9.3 mpg average for the whole trip! It was down to 6 until I got back on the way home and I managed to bring it up some by hitting the lights right.Obviously if you only do that type of driving you mileage average will suffer.

lee1rbc
    A 5.7l is going to use more gas then a 1.6l will. The question that nds to be answered is if you ran an LS1 motor on a stand at 1500rpms for 1hr, how much fuel would the motor use?

example: if it uses 1.5 gallons, that means you could do no better then 40mpg at 60mph maintaining 1500rpms. Now take in wind, and pulling 3500lbs. A basic rule that I have heard is 1 mpg loss for every 300lbs. So if your car weighs 1200lbs with an LS1 you could get 36mpg. Using that table a 3400lbs car would get 28mpg.

Gas consumption is primarily based on torque output. If you produce 200ftlbs at 1500rpms (200*1500/5252=57hp) thats 57hp. A 2.0l at 2500rpms will produce 60ftlbs of torque (60*2500/5252= 28hp) thats 28hp, so almost half the fuel is required for the 2.0l compared to a 5.7l at these rpms. The new SRT8s using only 4cyl on the highway basically cuts there fuel requirments in half, but they still cant break 30mpg because of the vehicle weight.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

You're plugging in numbers there that are not substantiated,the "for example 1.5 gallons". I've watched the car do better that 40 mpg on level ground at 60 mph.Today is not a good day here because of windy cold conditions,but I will take a test drive soon and report the gph readings I get.

lee1rbc
    Yes, Your correct I dont have numbers, this is a guess using results found from other motors. http://www.flyhummel.com/ucintro.htm this example does not give us that answer for the LS1 but it does show that there is a relation between HP and gph. I am not saying that I have facts, yet, but at this time I dont believe 35mpg over at least 60 miles of driving is possible.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

If you can drive exactly 60 for an hour or two, you should consider applying for the Pope position if it comes available again.I don't have the patience or the guts-people are ready to run over you at that speed-lol. But I went for a little drive after running some errands today.First off let me point out that at idle fully warmed up I'm reading .5 gph.If you are coasting down from speed in neutral-it'll read .4 gph and then go back up to .5 when you stop. In the short distance that I drove (couple miles)it's easy to get a 1.2 or 1.3 gph at 60 mph and sustain it for a distance at what appears to be level hiway.The slightest uphill or downhill grade will affect this immediately.But according to what it's telling me-you've got to be getting 1.7 or 1.8 gph readings to drop below 30 mpg. Now I've got a very steady foot when I want to and believe I can wring more out of a gallon that most people,but I don't think that it would be impossible for someone else to duplicate what I'm doing here.These are very preliminary and unscientific but real world findings on a very stock 2002 Z-28.Mods that would affect this -the aircleaner lid is aftermarket and I have the "free" ram air mod,which actually warms the intake air temperature up considerably (fact-, not me being a "tool").The wind died down at sunset,and the outside air temp was approx. 30*F,indicated IAT was around 45*F or better.Realizing more research needs to be done here and I will play around with this some more-but the resistance to these facts is surprising to me.Any informed discussion on this is more than welcomed-don't let me kill this thread-bring it on!

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    If you can drive exactly 60 for an hour or two, you should consider applying for the Pope position if it comes available again.I don't have the patience or the guts-people are ready to run over you at that speed-lol. But I went for a little drive after running some errands today.First off let me point out that at idle fully warmed up I'm reading .5 gph.If you are coasting down from speed in neutral-it'll read .4 gph and then go back up to .5 when you stop. In the short distance that I drove (couple miles)it's easy to get a 1.2 or 1.3 gph at 60 mph and sustain it for a distance at what appears to be level hiway.The slightest uphill or downhill grade will affect this immediately.But according to what it's telling me-you've got to be getting 1.7 or 1.8 gph readings to drop below 30 mpg. Now I've got a very steady foot when I want to and believe I can wring more out of a gallon that most people,but I don't think that it would be impossible for someone else to duplicate what I'm doing here.These are very preliminary and unscientific but real world findings on a very stock 2002 Z-28.Mods that would affect this -the aircleaner lid is aftermarket and I have the "free" ram air mod,which actually warms the intake air temperature up considerably (fact-, not me being a "tool").The wind died down at sunset,and the outside air temp was approx. 30*F,indicated IAT was around 45*F or better.Realizing more research needs to be done here and I will play around with this some more-but the resistance to these facts is surprising to me.Any informed discussion on this is more than welcomed-don't let me kill this thread-bring it on!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

your dying to flame it-haha-you know you are!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information