Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mods to make the ultimate MPG LS1

This is a discussion on Mods to make the ultimate MPG LS1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; 2. Replace tires with something a bit skinnier for a smaller contact patch (may require picking up some junkyard steel ...

2. Replace tires with something a bit skinnier for a smaller contact patch (may require picking up some junkyard steel rims off of a V6 Camaro?)

Replacing aluminum wheels with steel will increase your rolling weight and not help your mpg.

Blue
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am

How about keeping the fuel saver metro and buy a ls1 for weekends and nice days. I have a 01 ta and also a olds. achieva for my work commute car. Saves alot on mileage and fuel. No need to waste it going to and from work.

TooSlow
    It just figures that now that I really have the LS1 bug I can't find a car for sale in my area... That's a typical Iowa winter for you--once the snow falls, all of the muscle gets tucked away in the garage. Unfortunately everyone will want top dollar in the Spring. Thanks again for all of the great suggestions and ideas. I'll let you know what I end up with.

TooSlow

If you get one.....don't use the AC and instead use the T-tops in the summer. Stick with the Aluminum rims.......don't switch to steal and keep that car cruisin between 65-70 and you won't need to replace the gears. Depending on how serious you are about the weight, just rip out the rear seats. I would also recommend high flow cats and a lid, and also low restriction mufflers. .........fwiw

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Question--has anybody actually recorded a loss of fuel mileage w/the A/C on?I've been tracking my fuel mileage and have gotten better mileage in the summer and I will use my A/C quite a bit.I'm thinking the increase in aerodynamics offsets the increase in load on the engine.In the winter you lose more fuel mileage due to the engine running richer and longer warm-up times(I believe).

Dark Green
    95 AZ Wagon

After around 45, turbulence from windows causes more loss than running the A/C, from what I have been told.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I saw this tested on Mythbusters, but of course they used a Barn door Explorer for their test. They claimed at 45 mph, having the windows down was more efficient. I'm thinking a much more aerodynamic F-body with the windows up would be better off.

Looks to me like a lot of testing could be done with that scangauge. Try like 10 miles at a time, 50 mph in 5th, 60 mph in 5th, 60 mph in 6th, 70 mph in 5th, 70 mph in 6th. Then take the best of those and try with AC on, AC off, Windows down, T-tops out.

If that wasn't $129 I could spend on HP Tuners, I'd have one!

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

And yes, cold start and richment and longer warm-ups definitely contribute to poor winter gas mileage. I think winter fuel blending has something to do with it too. Its been a while since I read up on it, maybe more oxygenates in the fuel?

Anyone?

Buehler?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I am frequently disappointed by the methods that are used on Mythbusters-but it's a great show -I watch it all the time.I saw one episode where they drove around a circle track-but they should have switched off drivers to eliminate that variable.The scan gauge gives fuel mileage in a few different ways-there is an instant mileage number that is really interesting-especially when you are coasting down a hill at 60 mph and you are getting over 100 mpg! But what you start watching is the averages-for the trip and for the day are two.And then compare that to the day before -on the commute to work for example,where you are driving the same route and roughly the same speeds.What you start to realize is that it's all about how you drive and you try different ways of driving to get better mpg.I hadn't considered that the fuel is different in the winter but that is true and a good point.But I look at fuel mileage averages over the tank of fuel,over the years,and you can see a pattern of worse mileage in the winter.I've tried changing habits to influence this without much difference.In short--winter -rush hour traffic-idling through drive -thru,all these things have a bigger impact on mileage than any other factors from what I've been able to see.

99 Firebird Formula

Alright guys, you know the drill. If I have to edit this thread again then it's getting the lock down, so please only post relevant information.

lee1rbc
    Is there another car that weighs over 3400lbs that gets as good mpg as the F-body?

Just buy a Geo Storm, some Z28 badges, and a nos kit. But don't buy a Z28 and try to turn it into a Geo Storm.

cold air is much denser and harder to move through.it should effect mileage some.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I lived next to a couple that had a "Z-28".A year later I found out it was actually a V-6 car.Now I heard this car fire up every day and didn't have any reason to doubt that it really was a Z-28,just never realized it wasn't.The story was they bought the car that way-somebodies mother wanted a Z-28 and sent her son to buy her one.He got the dealership to put Z-28 badges on a V-6 car and she never noticed a thing wrong with it!My neighbors bought the car used when she traded it in.I was really surprised when I found this out-we all had a good laugh over it.My point being unless you have to race other Z-28s to be happy-a fake Z will fake out a lot of people

TooSlow
    More good info and ideas! I had no idea this thread would have so many great responses. I think that I'll buy a scanguage once I've found the right LS1 car and perform some of the air conditioning vs windows down testing, as well as the octane testing.

I just looked through a 2002 Camaro owners manual and I must have missed the fuel requirement. Does anyone know if the Z28 can run on E85 fuel? This is an 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline blend that is becoming more common in the midwest (we have a number of ethanol plants here in Iowa; although it's not very efficient the ethanol is being made from corn). The price of E85 is pretty low, but I'm not sure if it is low enough to make up for the lower energy output of this ethanol fuel when compared to gasoline. I've never owned a vehicle that could take E85 and thus haven't done any experimenting with it.

TooSlow

only if you want a repair bill your wallet will never forgive you for.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TooSlow
    I just looked through a 2002 Camaro owners manual and I must have missed the fuel requirement. Does anyone know if the Z28 can run on E85 fuel? This is an 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline blend that is becoming more common in the midwest (we have a number of ethanol plants here in Iowa; although it's not very efficient the ethanol is being made from corn). The price of E85 is pretty low, but I'm not sure if it is low enough to make up for the lower energy output of this ethanol fuel when compared to gasoline. I've never owned a vehicle that could take E85 and thus haven't done any experimenting with it.
    No, LS1's are not designed to run E85. The VCM needs to sense the fuel mixture in the system and then switch the fuel tables accordingly. The stoich ratio for ethanol is lower than gasoline (it takes 14.7 parts of air to burn 1 part gasoline - it takes less air to burn ethanol, so you must burn more fuel)

I have a Ford Taurus wagon which is Flex fuel. I have tried a couple tanks of E85 here in southern Illinois and the mileage takes a plunge. I went from getting 22-23 mpg on gasoline to 16-17 mpg on E85.

TooSlow
    Hammertime,

I expected the mileage plunge with E85, but does it become worthwhile when you take price into account? We have one station that sells E85 locally but it is way out of my way so I don't have much of a grasp of what it goes for. I have noticed a slight mileage dip when filling up with the 10% ethanol fuels available here. With the 10% ethanol/90% gasoline fuel (which typically sells for about ten cents less per gallon than 87 octane gasoline) it wasn't worth it to me to use in the Metro--miles per dollar spent were higher with the 87 octane fuel.

One last gasp and we can let this thread die--any idea if you can get away with using toluene as an octane booster with the LS1 motor? This might be a cheaper means of attaining the octane levels needed to gain really efficient (high mpg) cruising--fill up with 87 octane gas and top it of with a couple of gallons of toluene. I have read of people doing this with older carbed cars, but I don't know if it would gum up an FI engine.

TooSlow

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Well as far as is it worth it, the 27% decrease in mileage could be offset by a cheap enough price. Keep in mind though, by using more fuel you'd have to refuel at the out of the way station more frequently. Not worth it IMHO.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

As for toulene...

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html

...doesn't really seem worth it. If you can believe the price from the link , $3.00 per gallon if bought in 55 gallon is the best case. In smaller quantities, it look smuch more expensive. Sounds like you wouldn't want more than a couple gallons anyway, 13 gallons of 87 octane with 2 gallons of 114 octane toulene would net you 15 gallons of 90.6 octane gas for more than the price of local premium gas.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You cheap bastard....try runnin it on rubbing alcohol Seriously...if you don't think you can comfortably afford the gas and still have "fun" money...then don't get a ls1. Get a honda accord or civic that can burn 87 oct all day and get good mpg...there's nothing wrong with a honda daily driver.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information