Thread: which mods guys

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

which mods guys

I'm hoping to have 400rwhp as quickly as possible when I have my ls1 I just want to get everyones take on which mods I should take to get there. This will be a ws6, vert, m6.
    I'm thinking ory exhaust, lt headers, lid, ported maf, heads, cam, and a tune. What do you think that should get me?
    On top of that I want to know a bunch of information on the individual mods if you guys want. I'm thinking Corsa exhaust, no idea for headers any ideas?
    Any ideas for heads would be great I don't have a clue what to do there. and a cam I'd like to get fairly aggresive but force induction friendly just incase :P.
    Feel free guys say what ever you think, to a certain extent money is no object, I want this car done right and I want to enjoy it...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Catback/Duals
    Long tubes
    LS6 intake
    lid
    gears
    ported throttle body
    THEN start thinking about H/C. Your not gonna get anywhere near the potential gains of a h/c combo without bolt ons first. If u want the absoulte best heads then i say AFR (although there gonna cost about $2300) if u want the best headers go KOOKS or QTP. A decent "cam only" will get u near or over 400hp

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

and if u want a "nasty cam" my vote goes to the MS4, although i would never stick one in my car

Silver
    2002 Z28

Yea, you could get it done with gears, headers, catback, off road y pipe, and then heads and cam. Of course start with free mods, lids, pulleys etc...

Thunder cam or comp cam, patriot heads...

Of course if you want that much power right off the bat just put it on the bottle haha.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Is this for the 1997 Trans Am in your sig?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Is this for the 1997 Trans Am in your sig?
    Nevermind, I re-read your post.
    The "fastest" way to 400rwhp would be a small shot of nitrous.
    Barring that approach, you could do a mild heads/cam set-up or a more nasty all-cam approach. You could also bolt a Vortech on over a weekend and get 400rwhp easy. What is the car going to be used for? DD? Weekend cruiser? Street/strip? Auto-X?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Ported Heads, pretty much any after market cam (228 duration .560ish lift 110-116LSA and bigger), pacesetter LTs, ORY, lid, pulley, and tune and you will be above the 400 mark at the wheels. And if you have the money a FAST 90 intake manifold with a Nick Williams 90 TB. you only need around 100HP gain...lol, LS1

Pacesetter-----LTs
    Pacesetter-----ORY
    MTI------------Lid
    ASP------------Pulley
    LS2------------timing chain
    any------------valve springs (comp 918s, Patriot gold dual springs, PRC dual springs)(dual if you gonna go into the .600 lift and above)
    manifold--------FAST 90mm
    Throttle body---Nick Williams 90mm
    tune-----------your local or closest speed shop preferrably one that specializes in LS1s.

no comment on Heads(lots of choices LS1, LS6, 5.3s) nor Cam(too many choices), your desicion.
    O and might as well upgrade to a LS6 ported oil pump while you are in there. With the right choices and all these for an upgrade, looking upwards around mid 400s+ at the wheels.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

well first off thanks a lot guys I really didn't expect to get this many results so quickly I guess I hit a hot topic :P. So to answer one of the primary questions, this will be a weekend cruiser. What I want to get out of this car is as much horsepower as possible without sacraficing 3 things in order of priority,
    1-reliability/durability
    2-fuel mileage
    3-comfort/driveability
    I don't think I'll do gears just because I've heard that they're very expensive and I would guess that would kind of take away from my drivability and gas mileage. Correct me if I'm wrong. I guess something else to add is exhaust wise as long as its free flowing I want to choose brand according to sound quality not 5 extra hp gain or something. I'm thinking Corsa because I've heard good things, I've yet to hear in person or a good representation off the net. Kooks headers was actually something I was thinking about because again I've heard good things. As for h/c I think I'll just do more research on it and see what I come up with. But something I'm embarassed to admit to is I really don't know anything about the pulley mod. I've never heard about it, I guess I just need a quick rundown on what exactly do you throw aftermarket pulleys on, and what does it gain you for horsepower and how? I assume its pretty straight forward but it would be nice to get some info.
    I guess if I should point something out is I don't intend on ever having nos on my car (just not really my style). and if it ever came down to forced induction time, I think I would end up just spending a years pay cheque on a good twin turbo setup (is REALLY my style).
    While I'm getting your guys' help I was wondering what are some good supporting mods that I should invest in? By supporting I guess I'm referring to things that will increase quality of ride and durabilty. Like SC, strut tower brace, anything to do with the tranny, or rear end, I really don't know taking a shot in the dark here.
    Again money really isn't an object as long as its money well spent.

thanks for all the info and help thus far guys, really appreciate it!

oh and to answer another question this will be for the LS1 M6 I intend on purchasing very soon, the 97 LT1 is up for sale.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

Oh this LS1 does have the LS6 intake. Also a question about the last post, what does an LS2 timing chain gain you? And I was wondering in your opinion how much does an aftermarket TB gain you as oppose to a ported one?

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    Also a question about the last post, what does an LS2 timing chain gain you?
    Strength/reliability, no power but for $38 money well spent

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    And I was wondering in your opinion how much does an aftermarket TB gain you as oppose to a ported one?
    Depends on how much you port it, can only port so much. Aftermarket can net you a few more ponies, depending on what all mods you get, each supporting mod will add more in the end.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

underdrive pulley... I'll let you read a bit about it http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...87fb5b5fc32b02

From all I have heard Kooks are about the best out there for LTs, haven't really heard much about the Corsa exhaust.

Gas mileage will drop a little depending on mods, but with a good tune, might not sacrifice too much.

not sure on additional, as that is my next project, for sure SFC. I will also be going with 9" rear, lower control arms and relocation brackets, panhard bar, strut tower brace, torque arm, not sure yet on the other things, still researching.

ASC #753
    2002 Collector's Edition

O and you might want to start thinking about a performance clutch. That is a big issue these days...

Silver
    2002 Z28

If you want 400rwhp and streetability, just go nitrous.

Gears are not expensive, 400 installed and well worth it.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Sooo many options and angles on your questions. Honestly, for 400rwhp the easiest, most safe and virtually transparent option would be a 100shot of nitrous. Since that isn't your style and money is no object, I'd go with a mild blower set-up with some well thought out bolt-ons. At the 400rwhp level, the tune, belt-slip and other S/C issues shouldn't be a problem.

Silver
    2002 Z28

Blower would be a bad option for just 400rwhp. More like if you wanted 500 and the car to still run well on the street.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by jmhvenom View Post
    Blower would be a bad option for just 400rwhp. More like if you wanted 500 and the car to still run well on the street.
    Please explain your reasoning to me? A blower that only needed to generate 400rwhp could use a larger pulley (eliminate belt slip), have a conservative tune (to run on pump gas) and would be more efficient because of low inlet temps of less air compression.
    Would it be cost-effective? No, but how does that make it a "bad" option?

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

well maybe I should further explain myself, I say 400 rwhp because thats what I can afford for now... but I don't intend on stopping there idealy I would love to have 500-550 rwhp, with a twin turbo setup but that is years to come so for now I just want go mods that will be usefull then and now.
    As for nitrous not a bad option but just not my style thanks for seeing my eye to eye. As for a sc I don't think that will happen I rather the idea and power maybe by tt.

almost forgot, LS2 timing chain seems like a good investment and the pulley also seems like its worth the money. But another question what kind of clutch would you suggest?
    Last edited by Bouvers; 06-04-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

feel kind of stupid asking all these newb questions but I don't know them and I won't know if I don't ask so I might as well get it out in the open.
    Can you illaberate a bit more on the mods you listed up there I'm not really familiar with these:
    -9" rear
    -lower control arms and relocation brackets
    -panhard bar
    -torque arm

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Please explain your reasoning to me? A blower that only needed to generate 400rwhp could use a larger pulley (eliminate belt slip), have a conservative tune (to run on pump gas) and would be more efficient because of low inlet temps of less air compression.
    Would it be cost-effective? No, but how does that make it a "bad" option?
    My reasoning was that it is not cost effective.

Thread Information