Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mods?

This is a discussion on Mods? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet To those who actually gave me ideas, i appreciate them....for everyone else who didnt answer my ...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet View Post
    To those who actually gave me ideas, i appreciate them....for everyone else who didnt answer my question, and told me to get an ls1, this is what i have to say; im 16. my parents arent gonna put me behind the wheel of an ls1, and neither are they gonna pay the insurance. so, do me a favor and answer my questions, because im interested in working on my car, i just dont know where to start.

Well first off let me start by saying, the majority of people who read this forum drive LS1's, and know next to nothing about the 3.8 or 3.4. There is a V6 forum if you go back to the main page.

Secondly, congratulations on your new camaro. When I was 16, I had a 95 firebird with the 3.4. Enjoy it, they are fun.

You dont need to go overboard. You are 16 years old, and there are tons of other things to save your money for. You are going to throw so much money at that thing just to make it somewhat quick, it's not worth it. Spare your cash for some interior / audio upgrades. And then save some for the ladies!

I'm sure none of us were trying to offend, its more a lack of knowledge mixed with real world experience. K?

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

yeah, im not lookin to do anything big, just make it quicker than my other friends v6s...mostly im goin for looks. already have a sound system and saving up for some rims now, hopefully one day ill get enough for an ss hood.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

With 200hp and 225 torque your already gonna be faster than most of your friends v6's. Since your 16, do like konigandy6 said and save your money. Trust me if you save enough cash, when your 18 you'll be able to buy a car that comes from the factory with a ss hood. Im sure you will get more responses that your looking for in the v6 forum. Thats awesome that you want to work on your car though... with whatever you do.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Dude I had to have a v6 to start too and my parents said no to any v8 i found. So I saved my money and I didn't waste it on making my v6 grand am fast. When I had the money when i was 21, i bought the ls1 and never looked back. Believe me it's very hard to be patient for a v8. I was 13 when they came out with the ls1 and I had to have it when I was 16 and I waited 8 years before I got one. So just save ur money

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

alright let me take a stab at this,

honestly, instead of focusing on going into the engine, i would start with some gears,

probably like 3.73's find yourself a posi carrier, and there you go, after that,,

think of an engine like an air pump,
    the more air you can let in the more you let out, your starting on the right track,,,

i dunno man if i was you i would put in a 170* thermostat, a maf, spark plugs and wires, gears, a cai and cat back exhaust, that should do it for a little while i think,

i dunno man like i said the smallest engine i have worked on is a 5.7, so good luck,
    maybe some nitrous but i doubt anyone around you would no how to tune your pcm, it will probably be a guessing game for a little while

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

preciate the help man.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Get some nice rims and tires,tint the windows and start savin.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I wonder if you could the heads milled for more compression on the V6. That would help a little. You can take everything extra out of it to lighten it up too.

Black, Primer
    2002 SS SLP 1970 RS

Agreed go with a set of gears do some rims maybe lower and tint. Make the inside sound like a movie theater, THEN take some chicks to the drive-in and let that camaro do the work =)~ O and for that tint when they ask how dark think getting a little "massage" at the movie. Giggidy Giggidy

And the reason why those guys were saying buy a V-8 to go fast is that for some reason you decide that you want to buy the say 2009 model (in hopes)lol and you go to sell a v-6 well some one who wants a 6 is for the same reason you needed it or getting good gas millage . so instead of spending 3-4k motor stuff /turbo/blower and trying get get that 1 person who wants a fast 6 and willing to spend a extra 2.500/3.000 on a v 6 because of engine mods they wold go V-8 . Make sense ?

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

whats a maf? and where can i get one?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet View Post
    whats a maf? and where can i get one?
    mass air flow sensor.... if you look where your air filter / intake are, it is a little hollow unit, usually between the filter and rest of the intake. It has a wiring harness coming out of it. It reads incoming air temp/quantity. Think about changing your intake first. IMO, after market mafs are a waste of money. Do the intake/K&N filter first and you will notice a difference. I put an SLP maf on my car and noticed nothing.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm gonna close this since it's kinda run it's course.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information