Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Mobil1 100% Synthetic Not

Well I guess our super rich buddies at Exxon-Mobil are starting to feel the pressure. Look at what they just "updated" on their website in the FAQ section. Once again a non-denial denial. A year or so ago all their marketing proudly proclaimed Mobil1 was 100% PAO...today the say "including PAO"....they just will not admit they are just another GroupIII conventional basestock synthetic blend that should be $3.50 per quart....nope...the uninformed just keep paying full synthetic prices for a GroupIII blend.....sad but true.....
    Question:
    Response to Claims that Products Contain 'Mostly Mineral Oil'
    I've seen claims of gas chromatograph analysis of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 SM dated 10-06 that state it is "mostly mineral oil". Realizing that you cannot divulge your exact formulations, what do you say to the critics that claim you are using a high percentage of hydro processed mineral oil in Mobil 1 instead of the more expensive PAO or polyester base stocks?
    -- Jeff Willett, St. Peters, MO

Answer:
    Just like other companies, we do not discuss our product formulations for obvious proprietary reasons. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is formulated using a combination of high performance fluids including PAO, along with a proprietary system of performance additives. But in the end, it is also about performance. Mobil 1 is used by more Original Equipment Manufacturers than any other oil as factory fill in their vehicles. Also take note of the kind of testing we put our product through, including the Las Vegas field testing we recently completed. The Mobil 1 technology is also tested each weekend on the race track. In fact, more than 50 percent of all NASCAR teams use Mobil 1.
    http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Mineral_Oil_Question.aspx

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Blah,Blah, "FACTORY FILL", Blah,Blah, "NASCAR". They know how to appeal to the crowd of uninformed don't they.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

So is Mobil 1 ok to use or should I start buying Royal Purple?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Its fine to use he's just saying that your not getting the quality that your paying for.

What they don't tell you is that Nascar teams get the oil for FREE and as part of the gas deal Sunoco furnishes all the teams with gas for free too !!-
    Last edited by tblu92; 05-18-2007 at 06:30 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 00ssSLP View Post
    Neither.

10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 00ssSLP View Post
    I and many have had crappy results with Royal Purple. Shears really bad. Contacted their tech department and all they had to say about the UOA's was..."well lot of race guys use us"...what kind of response is that? I suspect they ( Royal Purple) changed their formula....and is now being sold at WalMart.....so I think RP has gone cheap on basestocks and additives also...to meet WalMart pricing points.....sad but the UOA's don't lie....Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 is about a robust off the shelf oil you can get right now. Amsoil is king of the hill...and with the preferred customer program a great value... the Mobil1 is good oil.....just no better than the $4 oils.....
    Last edited by Sarge; 05-18-2007 at 11:34 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    What they don't tell you is that Nascar teams get the oil for FREE and as part of the gas deal is that Sunoco furnish all the teams with gas for free too !!-
    Yes and I guarantee the Mobil1 or Royal Purple they are using is nowhere near the same stuff you can buy. It is custom blended for them and you cannot buy it.....they get the steak and we get the happy meal version.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

So it looks like I will have to start buying the Amsoil or Pennsoil Platinum. Thanks for the heads up on this guys, I've been running Mobil 1 in my car since I've owned it. I always thought it was good but if its not all that great I will spend the money on the better stuff.

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

After a week of researching,amsoil is #1! Followed by mobil 1(with syntec),then castrol syntec. Their wasn't enough data out their on pennsoil platinum to include it.Just data from the producer,and I'd say my oil is great too.At 10 bucks a qt,amsoil is quite high,I'm sticking with mobil 1.We did buy some amsoil to put in my freind's s2000.We'll see just how good it is.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I won't be buying Mobil 1 again until it costs $3.50 a quart.
    Which means I will probably never be buying it again.

Picked up 15 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum today. $60.
    And from what Sarge has proven, it hangs with Amsoil at half the cost. All three cars will eventually be using it.

I have one 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 left that will be getting used in the grand am Sunday. I have 6 quarts of VP racing oil that will go in the Trans Am later this summer. Changing the Vibe over to PP Sunday.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

If I went with 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum about how many miles could I get before a oil change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by bevenue View Post
    If I went with 10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum about how many miles could I get before a oil change.
    5K easy...I paid Blackstone Labs for a virgin oil analysis....the TBN is super high and they are using esters....this is one stout oil......here is the analysis...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by kwade View Post
    After a week of researching,amsoil is #1! Followed by mobil 1(with syntec),then castrol syntec. Their wasn't enough data out their on pennsoil platinum to include it.Just data from the producer,and I'd say my oil is great too.At 10 bucks a qt,amsoil is quite high,I'm sticking with mobil 1.We did buy some amsoil to put in my freind's s2000.We'll see just how good it is.
    Don't know what data you utilized nor your methodology for rankings....but I applaud you getting out there and researching. Well done! I posted the VOA of PP for you above.....compare and continue researching and learning.....ask anything....don't buy the marketing crap and be careful of what you read on the Internet....And for accuracy friend top of the line Amsoil is only $5.30 a quart......

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Neither.

10w-30 Pennzoil Platinum.

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Don't know what data you utilized nor your methodology for rankings....but I applaud you getting out there and researching. Well done! I posted the VOA of PP for you above.....compare and continue researching and learning.....ask anything....don't buy the marketing crap and be careful of what you read on the Internet....And for accuracy friend top of the line Amsoil is only $5.30 a quart......
    Got 6 qt.,almost 10 dollars a qt.(58 bucks),maybe I got ripped. Looked for the platinum everywhere friday,auto parts stores,walmart,you name it, I went there. Not a drop of it around Mississippi.Thanks for the report,first piece of good data i've seen on the platinum.
    Last edited by kwade; 05-19-2007 at 04:23 AM. Reason: error

Black Hardtop
    01 NHRA Formula

Sarge, How many months between changes with PP? Is it still 3 months? It would take me a year to go 5K. Also all I do is cruise around, don't really race it. Will get on it from time to time, like when getting on the highway (have to get it up to speed quickly for safe merging..lol).

Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

any body use 5w-30. I think that is what the manual reccomends. any info.?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

What about oil additives like Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer or Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer?

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show
    http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Kup98ss View Post
    any body use 5w-30. I think that is what the manual reccomends. any info.?
    Too thin for the LSx.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information