Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mobil1 100% Synthetic Not

This is a discussion on Mobil1 100% Synthetic Not within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; It has been my previous experience with other vehicles that I started to notice a bit of oil use over ...

white
    2002 Z28

It has been my previous experience with other vehicles that I started to notice a bit of oil use over 100k miles with 10w-30, or straight 30. I live in Fla. which is considered severe use b/c of high heat & humidity, stop & go driving, etc. I heard from other gearheads that switching to 10w-40 @ 100k was a good idea b/c the engine internals had started to wear a bit by that time and the heavier viscosity would account for it and deal with heat dissipation too. However, the engines I was dealealing with were 1st gen. small block Chevys and Fords, nothing stout like the LS series.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Ok I understand now. The LS series is designed for 5W30 or 10w30 if the temperature never drops below 0*F. If you are losing oil pressure verses when the engine was newer then I could see going to a thicker oil. Maybe someone else has some ideas on this? I would still think a multiviscosity oil would be better in a modern street driven vehicle.
    I have an aircooled VW engined dunebuggy that I run a straight grade 30W oil in because of the ancient designed oiling system. It's a long story that is a little off topic here. My only point is that I refrain from firing it up in the 'cold' because of this. One time I was forced to move it -against my better judgement- and it was about 40 degrees outside. I later noticed that the oil filter had ballooned out on the gasket side! In the back of the filter number guides at the parts stores you will notice a section on failure analysis. It specifically points out that that type of balloning is caused by oil pressures exceeding 100 psi! It has never had this happen before or since (because I will not fire it up at less than 60 degrees unless forced at gun point )and that was years ago. My point being-- straight grade oil will be very thick at lower temps causing excessive pressures in your engine. Unless you will be changing to a lower grade when temps drop I would use a multi vis.

white
    2002 Z28

Thanks for the great advice. I'll stick with 5w-30.

I currently use Mobil 1 but am thinking about going to Amsoil. Heard any good or bad about either?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by nat83 View Post
    Heard any good or bad about either?
    Read the first page!!

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The Mobil 1 versus everything else in the world debate has been raging here for years. I have my reasons for continuing to use Mobil 1, but I don't really have the time to devote to the research of this subject that some people appear to. Someone here will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you about Amsoil.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Yeah these same debates go on in the dirt bike message board i go to called ThumperTalk.com Some guys insist on running eight dollar a quart oil when tests have shown that an oil for diesel's called Rotella T made my shell holds up the best and it only costs like a buck fifty a quart.

What really pisses me off is how the motorcycle companies hike up the prices just because its for a bike. 8 bucks a quart for a synthetic oil and exhaust system that cost more than what it costs for a car when there using a fraction of the materials.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Off topic question how the hell do you guys read your dipstick when you first change your oil. I have a really hard time finding where the thing is reading at.
    I put over 5 and 1/2 quarts in my car and it still looks likes it low on the dipstick but like i said its hard to tell where it stops reading it at.

Just changed mine. First read of the dipstick after 5.5 qts and it looked low. Let it set for about 20 -30 mins read it again and it was spot on.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Well i'm not sure if it really is low or not, i'm having a hell of time getting a good reading, with clean synthetic in there it just is a pain in the ass to tell where it stops at

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

With really clean oil, I look at the dipstick along the thin edge while holding it horizontal, and you can see the meniscus. You know, the curve of the oil's surface.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

True-dipstick reading is an art unto itself.
    Wanted to point out that with a LS1 engine you need to wait about 10-15 minutes for all the oil to drain down before reading the dipstick. There are "buckets" surrounding the roller lifters that take a while to drain. Otherwise it will appear low and you will wind up overfilled.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    The Mobil 1 versus everything else in the world debate has been raging here for years. I have my reasons for continuing to use Mobil 1, but I don't really have the time to devote to the research of this subject that some people appear to. Someone here will be along shortly I'm sure to tell you about Amsoil.
    So you do not "have time" to do any easily available research and just put in "whatever"? Then you wish to summarily dismiss anybody that has done the research and belittle that? I don't get it.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Where have I ever stated I put in "whatever"?
    I don't.
    I may not have explained myself very well-let me try again. I have 4 vehicles currently. 3 of them see less than 500 miles a year--seriously. Some of them alot less. Would it make sense to put in a synthetic that will not even be used much before being drained back out at the end of the year? Hardly. One of them has a serious leakage issue-it's a 44 year old pickup truck that sees like 500 miles a year-maybe. I'd rather spread cheaper oil out on the streets than synthetic.
    My daily driver 02 Camaro sees 4,000 miles a year-again it will get drained before the useful life of the oil is done. Mobil One? My research in the past has led me to that oil-I may be outdated on that now-I will reserve judgement until I get many opinions. Yes I have my reasons-as I am a hard head who makes up his own mind-I will not be switching based on someone in another part of the world that is driving a different vehicle differently from me. When I get a chance to have my oil analyzed and experiment around with that I will take your advice on what the analysis means as well as research for myself.
    Belittle? Never. As I was pointing out before-I prod you to get a better answer. I realize that it's a pain in the keister to type out these responses, but they are appreciated. I'll quote myself here from a couple days ago-
    "The discussion here was involving guys who understand motor oils and engines on a level few people do- ......"
    The guys referred to there include you sir.
    Just because someone does not take your advice constantly (and plays the devils advocate with you) does not mean they do not respect your opinion. I am a very sarcastic person by nature-take my jibes with a grain of oil.

White
    2001 Z28

Sarge has done his homework on this. I followed his advice. However, I am not a trusting soul either. My Blackstone results with Pennzoil Platinum are showing iron and copper readings half that of Mobil 1. My Z28 has 98K, and I drive it every day. I don't take chances with my oil.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1 View Post
    Where have I ever stated I put in "whatever"?
    I don't.
    I may not have explained myself very well-let me try again. I have 4 vehicles currently. 3 of them see less than 500 miles a year--seriously. Some of them alot less. Would it make sense to put in a synthetic that will not even be used much before being drained back out at the end of the year? Hardly. One of them has a serious leakage issue-it's a 44 year old pickup truck that sees like 500 miles a year-maybe. I'd rather spread cheaper oil out on the streets than synthetic.
    My daily driver 02 Camaro sees 4,000 miles a year-again it will get drained before the useful life of the oil is done. Mobil One? My research in the past has led me to that oil-I may be outdated on that now-I will reserve judgement until I get many opinions. Yes I have my reasons-as I am a hard head who makes up his own mind-I will not be switching based on someone in another part of the world that is driving a different vehicle differently from me. When I get a chance to have my oil analyzed and experiment around with that I will take your advice on what the analysis means as well as research for myself.
    Belittle? Never. As I was pointing out before-I prod you to get a better answer. I realize that it's a pain in the keister to type out these responses, but they are appreciated. I'll quote myself here from a couple days ago-
    "The discussion here was involving guys who understand motor oils and engines on a level few people do- ......"
    The guys referred to there include you sir.
    Just because someone does not take your advice constantly (and plays the devils advocate with you) does not mean they do not respect your opinion. I am a very sarcastic person by nature-take my jibes with a grain of oil.
    I'm a cranky old cuss...so shoot me.
    On that 44 year old truck...I highly recommend Auto RX for it....as you dont get the mileage for a clean/rinse phase.......use a maintenance dose....you'll be amazed....
    I don't care if folks take my opinion or not. I offer it as my opinion and provide ( or try to anyway) back up data for anybody.....you have no idea how many emails/PM's I get from this forum and Tech alone....so yeah...typing is a PITA...but I appreciate what I learn from you guys also and the shared experience is priceless for my own research and opinions...so it's a trade off....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    Sarge has done his homework on this. I followed his advice. However, I am not a trusting soul either. My Blackstone results with Pennzoil Platinum are showing iron and copper readings half that of Mobil 1. My Z28 has 98K, and I drive it every day. I don't take chances with my oil.
    Good to hear. Pennzoil Platinum is way out front today....they have a esters base "magic" that doesnt reflect in the VOA...TBN is 10.2 and unheard of for the 30 weights.....just an outstanding oil....folks struggle with the name Pennzoil....putting it in the same bucket as other off the shelf cheaper oils....however this platinum stuff is the real deal.....June Advanced Auto is having another buy one get one free....and man at $3 bucks a quart out the door....I feel like I'm stealing it....RedLine/Mobil1/Royal Purple all have the " Boutique Name"....for double the price of PP at the BOGOF at Advanced Auto....but cannot match the bottom line numbers of PP. PP is smooth in your car isnt it? Stuff is great....and we will keep our guard up...and watch for the next thing coming from the blenders....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Even not on sale....

Go to Wal-Mart. $19.99 for 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum. $23.79 for 5 quarts of Mobil 1.
    About .80 a quart difference...which isn't much. Unless you have three cars that get changed every 3-4 months.
    Plus, the Pennzoil Platinum is a superior oil. Several tests have proven this.

Why pay more for a lower quality oil?

white
    2002 Z28

Thanks for all of the info.! I saw something "interesting" on Horsepower TV about Fitch Fuel Catalyst. Looked it up on the net and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by nat83 View Post
    Thanks for all of the info.! I saw something "interesting" on Horsepower TV about Fitch Fuel Catalyst. Looked it up on the net and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it?
    Yes fuel catalyst work. They are widely used in Europe and have been around for a long time. But bottom line is yes they do as they say they do.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

AutoRX sounds interesting Sarge-will look into it in the future. Just did an oil change earlier this week on the old beast in anticipation of hauling the dunebuggy a couple hours each way out of town this weekend. Just saw the weather forecast and well- so much for that- it's a rain out . We are cancelling
    Anyway the good news is I'm trying a 20W50 to see if the 'old paint' pickup will like that better than the 10w40. In terms of leakage just on the short trips made so far it's slowed dramatically. Remains to be seen if the oil consumption slows enough to make me happy. Oil pressures up considerable of course. Came to the conclusion to try a thicker oil based on info I gleaned from a different forum I chat on -it's all based on these GMC truck V-6's from the 60's and early 70's. Maybe this old dog can learn new tricks still. Jury still out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information