Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mobil1 100% Synthetic Not

This is a discussion on Mobil1 100% Synthetic Not within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; No i understood your sarcasm, i was only joking about what i wrote...

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

No i understood your sarcasm, i was only joking about what i wrote

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Doesn't Penzoil Platinum cost the same as Mobil one? I see them both about $6.00 a quart I believe. Don't think PP is PAO/Ester based either.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Doesn't Penzoil Platinum cost the same as Mobil one? I see them both about $6.00 a quart I believe. Don't think PP is PAO/Ester based either.
    Hit up Wal-Mart.

I bought 15 quarts for $60.

White
    2001 Z28

Hey Sarge!
    What about Valvoline Synpower? I bought 18 qts of it because of a rebate deal that brought the price down to $.99 a quart. I have Pennzoil Platinum in my Camaro. If this stuff is crap it goes in my wife's car.

Red
    2000 WS6 M6

As I understand it, regular grey cap Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic. It's all the colored cap Mobil 1 with mileage numbers on them that are blends.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Well, I found a place here that changes oil and filter for 14.99 and they use Kendall. Don't know about the brand filter but I "think" it's wix, just forgot to ask, or look, but I know the air filter they put in was a wix. So needless to say this is a steal and even If I can't go 5 or 6k miles between changes the price is so cheap it's a no brainer.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

How is it a no brainer, your getting what you pay for. Shitty oil and a shitty filter for 15 bucks. If you want the best lubricant and filter you can do it yourself for around 30-35 bucks.

For the money we spend to mod our cars what another 15 bucks for better protection.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    No i understood your sarcasm, i was only joking about what i wrote
    I knew you had it, I was referring to...see above and below.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by intheclouds1977 View Post
    As I understand it, regular grey cap Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic. It's all the colored cap Mobil 1 with mileage numbers on them that are blends.
    This is what everybody is trying to tell you, A lost lawsuit by Mobil 1 years ago when others were saying they were full synthetic and were not has changed them. Now Mobil 1 is charging the premium but is just a blend like most and not showing the premium wear numbers for the premium price.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

As I stated- they are claiming the performance speaks for itself. I'll leave that to be debated.
    I just thought it was pretty cool how my question got featured on their site complete with a whole section of videos and pictures. I think that shows it freaked them out-and I asked a pretty good question. Agreed that they didn't directly answer it. Still think it's cool!
    As to why I use it in my Camaro-my car only gets about 4-5,000 miles a year on it-maybe even less in upcoming years. The cost of the oil changes is inconsequetial to me so I don't care about the price so much. The other vehicles I have I don't use expensive oils in. (EDIT-because they go even less miles. Like maybe 1000 miles a year or less)
    As far as people who don't even change their own oil and go to the cheapest place in town- you may regret that. Remember that they can't afford to pay their help much and they got stupid high school retards workin on your car. Good luck.
    Last edited by 02z28ls1; 05-22-2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wanted to point out my reasoning on oil choice

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    PP has a GroupIII basestock with PAO/Esters add pack..........and in June at Advanced Auto is buy one get one free on all viscosity weights

White
    2001 Z28

Sarge!
    What about Valvoline Synpower?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Have it my daughters 06 Pontiac G6 right now. Good value. Dont run it over 5K...TBN is decent but not "robust"....good oil...
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black
    2001Ws6 TransAm

Sarge, what filter would you match with the pp.
    2001WS6 T/A slp lid, smooth bellows, Taylor Thundervolt wires, Bosch+4, Vig 3200 stall, BM trans cooler, SLP 3" Y-pipe, 3" corsa catback, preditor custom tune by RWTD, 275/17BFG'S. 1976T/A 455-4spd-3:42

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    PP has a GroupIII basestock with PAO/Esters add pack..........and in June at Advanced Auto is buy one get one free on all viscosity weights
    Good info, thanks.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    How is it a no brainer, your getting what you pay for. Shitty oil and a shitty filter for 15 bucks. If you want the best lubricant and filter you can do it yourself for around 30-35 bucks.

For the money we spend to mod our cars what another 15 bucks for better protection.
    I'm sorry, did you not read the post. Kendall is VERY GOOD oil. Maybe not as good as PP, or amsoil, in the long run, but if you change it every 3-4k miles then I have no reserves to put it in our engines.

I do agree that you run a risk of having a retard do something dumb to your car. I used to ALWAYS do all my own maintainence, but I now live in an apartment 2 hours from anyone I know with a garage or driveway to work on our vehicles. I have used this same shop for about a year now and everyone I've talked to has been compitent and not a dumb 17 year old kid. I would rather do everthing myself just for the gratification and assurance, but sometimes it's just not a viable option.

Part of the reason they do it so cheap is oil is much cheaper in 50 gallon barrels, etc. Plus they hope to sucker you in for an oil change then try to sell you brakes, tires, whatever. You just have to be an educated comsumer and know what is a good deal and what is worth driving 130 miles to do yourself.

white
    2002 Z28

High Mileage Use

Does anyone know of any adverse effects/advantages running 40 weight in an LS1 with @102k miles on it? I know the LS1 is a "tight" motor but even they are gonna wear out soemtime and I am looking to do whats best in terms of engine durability and service. I haven't been too hard on the car - minimal drag racing and quite a few high speed 200+ mile runs runs on the interstate. Bone Stock Z28, 4L60E...and I'll have the thing until they pry my dead fingers from the steering wheel! No Fried Rice here!

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

kendall is not good oil, maybe vs. other non synthetics but it doesn't compare to high quality synthetics by any means. Kendall=ok oil

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by nat83 View Post
    Does anyone know of any adverse effects/advantages running 40 weight in an LS1 with @102k miles on it? I know the LS1 is a "tight" motor but even they are gonna wear out soemtime and I am looking to do whats best in terms of engine durability and service. I haven't been too hard on the car - minimal drag racing and quite a few high speed 200+ mile runs runs on the interstate. Bone Stock Z28, 4L60E...and I'll have the thing until they pry my dead fingers from the steering wheel! No Fried Rice here!
    Straight grade 40W? Instead of the recommended 5W30? Why?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by imflyn View Post
    I'm sorry, did you not read the post. Kendall is VERY GOOD oil. Maybe not as good as PP, or amsoil, in the long run, but if you change it every 3-4k miles then I have no reserves to put it in our engines.

I do agree that you run a risk of having a retard do something dumb to your car. I used to ALWAYS do all my own maintainence, but I now live in an apartment 2 hours from anyone I know with a garage or driveway to work on our vehicles. I have used this same shop for about a year now and everyone I've talked to has been compitent and not a dumb 17 year old kid. I would rather do everthing myself just for the gratification and assurance, but sometimes it's just not a viable option.

Part of the reason they do it so cheap is oil is much cheaper in 50 gallon barrels, etc. Plus they hope to sucker you in for an oil change then try to sell you brakes, tires, whatever. You just have to be an educated comsumer and know what is a good deal and what is worth driving 130 miles to do yourself.
    I lived in apartments for 15+ years. Before that I lived at home with the parents and a very small basically off limits garage-not worth pulling in and trying to work on much anyway. I did all my own maintenance and repairs, rebuilt motors, complete teardown and repaint of my dunebuggy, front clip and door replacements on my truck(s), and numerous other projects- all outside in a parking lot or the side of the street. My numerous vehicles never saw the inside of a garage until I finally got my humble current residence. And I might add the weather around here is far from ideal for that kind of work environment.
    What I'm getting at is this- If you're talking about that truck in the picture all you need is a drain pan and a cresent wrench to change the oil in that. A set of ramps (hell- blocks of wood for that matter) for most cars if you dont have a good jack and jack stands. If you believe you are impressing anyone with your discount oil change stuff-well I'm not anyway, anyone else? In my book that puts you right up there with the elderly, the soccer moms , and the teenage girls in terms of mechanical abilities.
    The discussion here was involving guys who understand motor oils and engines on a level few people do- don't even change your own oil- not impressed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information