Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

mobil 1 or royal purple?

This is a discussion on mobil 1 or royal purple? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Short and sweet - Sarge, in days ago Pennzoil was not exactly touted as the best oil on the planet, ...

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Short and sweet -

Sarge, in days ago Pennzoil was not exactly touted as the best oil on the planet, Quaker State and Valvoline called better.

I realize Pennzoil bought Quaker State.

#1 Pennzoil (new) vs Valvoline

#2 Please elaborate on how Mobil can now claim 100% synthetic?

At this point I'm tempted to seek out an old favorite and blend it, remember Klotz?

Senior Member Blown Interceptor's Avatar

Black
    1999 Camaro SS

RP 5-30 here.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crowe View Post
    Short and sweet -

Sarge, in days ago Pennzoil was not exactly touted as the best oil on the planet, Quaker State and Valvoline called better.

I realize Pennzoil bought Quaker State.

#1 Pennzoil (new) vs Valvoline

#2 Please elaborate on how Mobil can now claim 100% synthetic?

At this point I'm tempted to seek out an old favorite and blend it, remember Klotz?
    Yes the "myth" Pennzoil utilizes paraffins wax will never die I guess SOPUS owns QS and Pennzoil now....Shell Oil is SOPUS....The Platinum product line is outstanding......UOA's are the best I have seen.....stout add packs....best value out there......In this country the courts have ruled you do not have to have a 100% PAO based product to call yourself 100% synthetic......they have ruled GRPIII is manipulated by man for molecular uniformity and that is good enough....Mobil1 fought that for years and lost...so the old saying...if you cant beat em join em comes to mind....throw in Katrina and wiping out their PAO plant and I can see where they would utilize available GRPIII...and of course the fact GRPIII is cheaper and widens their profit margin significantly helps......in Europe you must be 100% PAO to call your oil synthetic and Mobil1 has a special European blend to market there......And for clarity Mobil1 does have some 100% PAO products here I suspect....this entire Mobil1 GRPIII issue is very clandestine and difficult to track and document......VOA's reflect significant GRPIII in Mobil1 basestock and Mobil1 denies the hell out of it and dismisses it as rumor....but when denying they are very vague and play word games which of course is the same as admitting it by not just saying " We utilize 100% PAO basestocks and additives" They come back and say " We utilizes 100% PAO technology"...see the difference? 100% PAO technology...well fine....but at what percentage and why don't they say we use 0% GRPIII basestocks? They will not do it....so of course the oil community just concludes....we have VOA's that reflect GRPIII and Mobil1 refuses to be specific and plays word games so of course they are using GRPIII basestocks.....and charging folks the PAO price.....Exxon needs more profits man
    I will say this again...a GRPIV PAO and a GRPIII does not mean one is better or worse than the other when it comes to performance of that oil. The performance is driven by the add packs. I used to blend....then finally realized the oil chemist/engineers did a better job than I did in my garage

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

And pennzoil/shell now sponsor the #29 rcr chevrolet for kevin harvick which was the #29 goodwrench chevy which was the #3 GOODWRENCH CHEVY driven by DALE EARNHARDT so it must be good.

Just kidding, great stuff Sarge

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    And pennzoil/shell now sponsor the #29 rcr chevrolet for kevin harvick which was the #29 goodwrench chevy which was the #3 GOODWRENCH CHEVY driven by DALE EARNHARDT so it must be good.

Just kidding, great stuff Sarge
    Yup...they do sponsor #29 and need to pay somebody to watch out for traffic in the pits. He had the best car this past weekend no doubt.

Black
    2001 Camaro SLP SS #4473

where can i find amsoil at? i looked at walmart and advanced...

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

(clearing throat) so i got this friend (clearing throat) and he runs a fram filter (clearing throat) he wants to know whats wrong with them and (clearing throat) why you will hunt him down and kill him? lol get it

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Would using :

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx

be harmful in any way to the LS1, also wanting to go with Amsoil products could you suggest which oil/filter I should use?

Thanks.

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

atm 10w30 high perfomance synthetic motor oil =$5.70 qt the correct amsoil filter for 5.7 lter is Eao32 =$11.65 ea. i know because i just became a perfered cust. and got a case of the oil and two filters. hope this helps aka abby

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DKSS00 View Post
    Would using :

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx

be harmful in any way to the LS1, also wanting to go with Amsoil products could you suggest which oil/filter I should use?

Thanks.
    atm 10w30 high perfomance synthetic motor oil =$5.70 qt the correct amsoil filter for 5.7 lter is Eao32 =$11.65 ea. i know because i just became a perfered cust. and got a case of the oil and two filters. hope this helps aka abby

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

I run a fram filter,what 's wrong with them? Mistake?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TASWEET SS View Post
    Thanks for the info on the lube/filter, still wondering if I should use the cleaner or not. My car has 73k miles on it, if it wont hurt it wouldn't mind using it but you know what they say "if it aint broke don't fix it"

00 LS1, WS6, V8 Gremlin
    96 & 98 GTPs, 64 'Cuda

Quote Originally Posted by kwade View Post
    I run a fram filter,what 's wrong with them? Mistake?
    Yes, from research. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

So what's the filter of choice for the ls1? I'm dropping the fram!

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

ac delco, mobile1, amsoil, thats 3 good ones

White
    2001 Z28

Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer

I am running Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer at 5 to 1 with Pennzoil Platinum 5-30. It seems to be a viscosity improver. My latest Blackstone test sample showed my lowest wear ever. I don't know what this stuff is, but it works! At $15 a quart it better.

Sarge! Reveal this mystery, what is this?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Filter wise...I use what came on my car. Delco.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I am running Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer at 5 to 1 with Pennzoil Platinum 5-30. It seems to be a viscosity improver. My latest Blackstone test sample showed my lowest wear ever. I don't know what this stuff is, but it works! At $15 a quart it better.

Sarge! Reveal this mystery, what is this?
    Not much of a mystery....they ( Pennzoil) are first to market the next generation add packs....some right powerful stuff....UOA's are coming back with nada for wear metals.......I'm telling you guys Pennzoil Platinum is the best oil out there until some folks catch up....and yes...it is still $19.95 for a 5 quart jug at WalMart.....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I remember someone on the site was going to do a filter test a while back. I forget his name but it rhymes with Sarge.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I remember someone on the site was going to do a filter test a while back. I forget his name but it rhymes with Sarge.
    We are in line for bench time at SW Research. It is a "freebie" so not a high priority.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information