Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

mobil 1 or royal purple?

This is a discussion on mobil 1 or royal purple? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by TASWEET SS all of the ls1,that i know of make that tapping noise, almost sounds like lifter ...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by TASWEET SS View Post
    all of the ls1,that i know of make that tapping noise, almost sounds like lifter taping, i dont know why they make that noise, when i first got my car back in 2002, i thought there was something wrong.
    Piston skirts are too damn short...allows the piston to "rock back and forth" and slap the side of the cylinder walls until the oil has had a chance to build up a decent film....some sound worse than others.....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum?
    408 Strokers loves the Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 long time

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Sounds good.
    I knew the Grand Am was going to that once I ran out of Mobil 1, but I wasn't sure about the T/A.

Thanks again man!

seabring silver
    2002 Camaro

I use Mobil 1 in mine and I get the fully synthetic 5w30 @ Costco for 4 bucks a quart. They can't call it fully synthetic if it's not. Besides your gonna buy what you like anyway. As long as Mobil 1 meets the API standard I'll use it.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

walmart now has pennzoil platinum @ $4 a quart in the big 5 quart jug...
    wish they woulda had it in february when i did my oil change with mobil 1

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GEARHEADNATE View Post
    I use Mobil 1 in mine and I get the fully synthetic 5w30 @ Costco for 4 bucks a quart. They can't call it fully synthetic if it's not. Besides your gonna buy what you like anyway. As long as Mobil 1 meets the API standard I'll use it.
    Yes they can call it 100% synthetic with conventional base stocks. Check out the lawsuit between Castrol and Mobil. Conventional base stocks are cheaper and it appears that is exactly the route Mobil1 went. Cheaper basestocks and yes...they can call it synthetic even when it is not 100% PAO.

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

hey sarge thanx to you im a amsoil perferred customer now, just ordered a case of 10w30 for my 02 SS MOBILE1 TO AMSOIL HEY SARGE WHAT FILTER YOU RECOMMEND? AKA ABBY

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

So wait....you switched?
    You called bullshit on me when I said it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I run with Delco filters.

Silver
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    So wait....you switched?
    You called bullshit on me when I said it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I run with Delco filters.
    I have always heard that you should stick with the GM/Delco filters...either factory or the slightly oversized one if you have decent mods...however the longer filter pokes out below the factory oil pan so beware.

Perhaps Sarge will be able to suggest what's best. I'm pretty much factory so I'm not too worried about a larger filter yet.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The larger filter is so you can run more oil.
    I fill to 5.75 quarts anyways....and I run the regular sized filter.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

so what im getting out of this is that i should run pennzoil 10w 30? i only have a cai and catback as of now, but headers, cam, and ported heads are right around the corner. i run castrol 5w 30 synthetic blend to transition to fully synthetic bc my cars previous owners used non synthetic. i hate to be redundant, but please school me on what to use....

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

you cant go wrong with the godfather of synth. amsoil

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

yes im switched, i finally opened my ears instead my mouth, sarge knows, and ive always heard good shit about amsoil, i assumed mobile1 was the shit, but sarge changed my mind, i still might use the same oil filter mobile1 #107 i think, thats what i always use for synth oil.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    so what im getting out of this is that i should run pennzoil 10w 30? i only have a cai and catback as of now, but headers, cam, and ported heads are right around the corner. i run castrol 5w 30 synthetic blend to transition to fully synthetic bc my cars previous owners used non synthetic. i hate to be redundant, but please school me on what to use....
    WTF> Look guys...you can switch to a full synthetic at anytime. There is no transition required nor needed. You can stick with Castrol 5-30 blend till the cows come home and you'll be OK. The top tier synthetic motor oils just protect/clean better...provide better cold start protection....have better dispersant characteristics ( more crap to the filter versus in your oil galleys) and is much more shear resistant.....but if you want to utilize a cheaper or less expensive solution by all means go for it....just change your oil more often....
    Bottom line is many have some serious investment in their motors and if a top tier lube change cost $50 so be it.....others may not have that kind of money and should feel just as good on Pennzoil Conventional motor oil in the yellow bottle from WalMart at $2.19 a quart in their motor as long as they are adhering to the 3month 3K mile Oil Change intervals.....as for oil filters....AC Delco is as good as most....NAPA is better for flow and filtering....Mobil1 is overpriced for what it is and a WIX/AC Delco is just as good in filtering and flow....I use Amsoil filters...but I am crazy and my wife is rich as shit so I dont care.......just do not use Frams or I will hunt you down and kill you to keep your genes from spreading into the general population.....

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

M1 - no
    Royal P - no
    Castrol Syntec 0w30 (full synthetic made in Germany) - yes!!!

white
    1990 Mustang GT

my mustang leaks so much oil it doesnt matter what kind i put in it...

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

thats a good reason to go buy you a CHEROLET TODAY, AND COME ON OVER TO THE OTHER SIDE, VERY WISE DECISON

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Hey Sarge, do you still like the AmsOil S2000 line? I, too, have quit using the Royal Purple oils based on your info (didn't use it for that many miles or any real hard use, so I'm still 'safe').

Also, I still have a case of VP Racing RS530 and half case of Schaeffer Supreme 7000 20w50 -- how do you think those stack up against others?

And another one, what do you think of a 'soup' recipe using Penzoil Platinum and any of the above along with a little Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Hey Sarge, do you still like the AmsOil S2000 line? I, too, have quit using the Royal Purple oils based on your info (didn't use it for that many miles or any real hard use, so I'm still 'safe').

Also, I still have a case of VP Racing RS530 and half case of Schaeffer Supreme 7000 20w50 -- how do you think those stack up against others?

And another one, what do you think of a 'soup' recipe using Penzoil Platinum and any of the above along with a little Valvoline Synthetic Oil Treatment?
    The Amsoil 2000 series is an excellent value with outstanding add packs for sure. VP or Schaeffer's are both top tier. I don't like mixing. I have learned we/you dilute the add packs of both oils by doing this. I used to mix and never really got any benefit from it via UOA's....I learned I guess......
    I must share something though....I have been in contact with Royal Purple.....on the shearing issue....I shared UOA's and they have assumed the position everybody who experienced shearing with Royal Purple was using the wrong weight (viscosity)......unreal....multiple motors and multiple folks...all dismissed as using the wrong viscosity......even when I pointed out the viscosity used was recommended by the manufacturer and by Royal Purple.....talk about ignorant responses.......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information