Thread: Miss in Car?

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

Miss in Car?

I have a miss in my car, which is exspecially bad when its cold. The car sounds as if it has a competion cam, and lopes until it gets warm...im thinking either fuel injectors or spark plug wires, what do you all think? I have ran injector cleaner through my fuel, but hasnt help...if its not the injector, and its the wires, what kind would you all recommend?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

How many miles does the car have? Usually a bad wire doesnt get better when the car gets warm. A fuel injector thats clogged doesnt get better when a car warms up either. It could be some sort of temperature sensor malfunction. The car runs good when its hot then or.....? You may want to get it put on a diagnostic computer to locate the problem if the obvious doesnt work. If the car missed even after she gets warm then it could be a bad wire,plug.or fuel filter(for starters). My car has a small surge to it when idling and I still cant locate the problem. Sometimes with weird problems that dont respond to whatever you try ,you have to wait till they get worse before you can figure it out.

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

yeah. what i meant to say that when it idles cold, it sounds as if it has a comp. cam, but when it warms up that kind of idling goes away, however you can still tell theirs a miss when going up hill, around 50 mph, and you punch it.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet View Post
    yeah. what i meant to say that when it idles cold, it sounds as if it has a comp. cam, but when it warms up that kind of idling goes away, however you can still tell theirs a miss when going up hill, around 50 mph, and you punch it.
    I had a very similar problem it turned out really costly since I didn't have any solid advice on what it could really be... turned out to be a combination of things... from old wires and plugs... to the most notible factors of it... which was a bad MAF (stock unit seemed to have gone bad) and 1 bad O2 sensor...
    they even did a slight re-program of the computer just to make sure...

so check out the tolerances in your MAF make sure it's running right... then take it to get the codes read out...and if it says O2's change them... Random Missfire Code....on my car turned out to be...what I just explained...

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

go buy a can of MAF cleaner and clean your MAF. Next, do MSD wires and NGK TR-55 spark plugs. Make sure to use dielectic grease on the wire connections. Put a can of seafoam in your oil fill, drive it around the block a time or two and then change the oil. Put a can of seafoam in your gas tank. Turn off the car, unhook the - battery terminal and rehook it about 10 mins later - this will reset your PCM. Change your air filter. Change your fuel filter. If you do all this stuff, which should cost under $150 if you do the plugs and wires, and the problem persists then post up again and we will see what the deal is.

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

i appreciate the help

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

not to thread hi-jack but what could happen if you didn't grease the plug wires? I've never greased plug wires on a change of plugs, wires, or both.

I have another thread about a similar slight miss in the idle. Would a bad MAF set the SES?

thanks

kool-aide

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Nothing-it just makes it easier to get the wire off the plug-it may help slightly by fighting corrosion and moisture. I think the maf would have to totally malfunction to throw a ses. The maf can get dirty and cause problems-try some maf cleaner. If you have a k@n air filter the oil used in the filter can get on the maf and cause a problem. Another issue could be the o2 sensors. I have a slight miss in my idle too so next for me is O2 sensors.

Thread Information