Thread: misfire issue

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

misfire issue

so I have been having a misfire P0307 code and I'm at wits end over it. I first thought it was a bad wire, replaced, cleared code and drove for about 30 miles. Problem returned. Replaced coil. Fine again for about 10- 15 miles and then problem returned. The whole time I have heard a humming form the hatch area but just figured that it was my subs with the radio off. Today I started the car and walked around back to find out that the humming is comming from what sounds like the gas tank. I replaced the fuel system relay and still have the humming. I don't believe that anything is broken in my engine because this p0307 code is at random. (I get the normal feel of a misfiring engine right before it throws the code) I also replaced the fuel filter but it did not help. I am leaning toward my fuel pump going out. I have a 98 formula with 172000 miles. I also read somewhere that the misfire could be caused on cyl 7 due to a clogged cat.

If I need to replace the fuel pump someone please give me the racetronic part number.

Any other ideas are welcome!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

before just diving in and replacing the fuel pump I would diagnose it as a fuel pump issue. That humming you're hearing is the bearings in the fuel pump. Not good but doesn't necessarily mean the pump is going out. Mine hummed off and on for 2 years and was still humming and working fine when I pulled it out. Hook a fuel pressure gauge up to it and get it to recreate the problem and see what your fuel pressure is doing. Check that #7 injector and make sure it's not clogged. It could be a few different things but I would probably check the fuel pressure and that injector first.

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

so none of the junk yards around here will buy my cats. says that its a state law.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

look in the parts wanted section....there are 2 guys in there that'll buy 'em.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

They buy old worn out cats??

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    They buy old worn out cats??
    yep, as long as they're the oem cats. Junk yards usually will buy them for the platinum that's inside them. That's why people have resorted to stealing the cats off cars.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

stupid question... have you ever jacked up the trans/engine??? i slpiced my wire from the PCM to the coil pack by accident and slice the 7th cyl wire... i did that jacking my engine up to drop the trans mount... either that or when i lowered the trans down the engine did it then...

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

I did change the mount a while back, but I replaced the coil yesterday and did not see a ripped wire on the harness. anywhere else I should look?

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

crank sensor?

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

Checked fuel pressure. Its between 55-60 psi. Will check the crank sensor tomorrow as well as check the cyl compression. I took the plug out and it had some gunk on it. the beige area is now brown. all the other plugs look ok. Removed the cats today as well.

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

So my dad thinks that I have a bad valve seal. Half of the spark plug has a black gunk on it. We placed a dollar bill by the left tail pipe and it tries to suck it in after a few rotations. He said that this is a indication of a bad valve setup. Any thoughts?

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

So I removed the intake and injectors. #7 cyl injector was clogged so I used some carb cleaner to get the gunk out. Looks like coffie grinds. All the rail holes had it built up. I flushed the line from the filter up and man...... a ton of that shit came out. I'm working on getting it back together and I will try it then!

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

The car is running great now that I cleaned the injectors by hand. Funny thing is that I am not getting the hiss from the fuel pump anymore. Thanks for the help guys

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad you got it worked out.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I suppose you never or rarely ever used fuel injector cleaner?

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

cleaner

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I suppose you never or rarely ever used fuel injector cleaner?
    Well I just bought the car.lol

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

Ok guys. After a few weeks with no issue, I was driving to work this morning and got the p0307 code again. I have a feeling that its the same problem. I have a 98 with the steel gas tank so could the tank be rusting and causing this to happen? If so is there a drain plug on the tank so I can try to get most of this stuff out?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsnkx View Post
    Ok guys. After a few weeks with no issue, I was driving to work this morning and got the p0307 code again. I have a feeling that its the same problem. I have a 98 with the steel gas tank so could the tank be rusting and causing this to happen? If so is there a drain plug on the tank so I can try to get most of this stuff out?
    your fuel filter sohuld be catching that stuff if that is the case... could be the element in the filter breaking down??? when was the last you changed it???

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, pull your fuel filter and see if dirty gas pours out of it. You may just have some build up in the rails or something that's breaking loose and clogging the injectors. Get it cleaned out again and run some fuel system cleaner through the car. I pulled my tank a year or so ago and there really wasn't much in the tank to be concerned with and mines a 98 also. Check that filter first if it has many miles on it then go from there.

Blue
    1998 firebird formula

I changed my filter when I first had the problem a few weeks ago. Maybe I should change it again. I used seafoam in the tank before I changed the filter the first time. maybe it has broken the stuff down and the filter is letting it pass?

Thread Information