Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mileage problem

This is a discussion on Mileage problem within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SuperSSguy Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS That is correct, which is why the word you're is the correct ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    That is correct, which is why the word you're is the correct word to use, not your.

You're as in "you are" breaking the rule. The word "your" is possessive. I like "your" car.

I'm well aware of grammar and how to use it properly.

Just saying
    Thats why in this instance one can use you`re (you are) or your - they are both correct.
    The words your and you're are not interchangeable. They are two different words with two different meanings. We should probably stay focused on the original subject matter though since this is in a technical thread and not AAG.
    Last edited by 35th-ANV-SS; 10-30-2012 at 11:56 PM.
    It's on jackstands.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

That is correct, which is why the word you're is the correct word to use, not your.

You're as in "you are" breaking the rule. The word "your" is possessive. I like "your" car.

I'm well aware of grammar and how to use it properly.

Just saying
    Thats why in this instance one can use you`re (you are) or your - they are both correct.
    The words your and you're are not interchangeable. They are two different words with two different meanings. We should probably stay focused on the original subject matter though since this is in a technical thread and not AAG.
    Hahahaha

OP I'm sorry that happened man! Important things that your okay though. Since the accident was the chicks fault could you sell your car as is and get the rest of the money from her insurance so you can get another all original?
    Last edited by Guerrillakilla13; 10-31-2012 at 12:57 AM.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Jon, your correct in the way way explain the difference. Your the grammar expert here now lol? BTW, I like you're stripes on you're Camaro.

Chase, the fuel filter should have no effect on the MPG, but it will help keep the pump alive longer. And if you think about it, if the filter was really restricted to where it didn't allow proper fuel flow, they your gas MPG should have increased since it would then be lean.

You're getting your car fixed now since the wreck?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Jon, your correct in the way way explain the difference. Your the grammar expert here now lol? BTW, I like you're stripes on you're Camaro.

Chase, the fuel filter should have no effect on the MPG, but it will help keep the pump alive longer. And if you think about it, if the filter was really restricted to where it didn't allow proper fuel flow, they your gas MPG should have increased since it would then be lean.

You're getting your car fixed now since the wreck?
    I see what you did there and it drives me insane. There/their/they're improperly used does as well.

You're correct though about the filter.

White
    2000 SS

Yeah the car is getting fixed now. Selling was not an option. Will not get rid of that car. But they said it would be about two weeks to find the parts, told em I wanted all gm original parts. They are just tryin to find the parts right now.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Ok so the Websters dictionary is wrong and you are right? your -as in your ''breaking'' -is something ''done by you''- Well just leave it at that. As far as'' staying focused on the original subject matter'' -Thats always been my intention To use ls-1 .com as a forum for discussion about our shared interest in ls1 cars not to have every word i type corrected by Miss. Maryanne the school teacher Im not the only member on here that misspells a word now and then -Now about that mileage problem........
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-31-2012 at 03:46 PM.

35th is right, and I have to agree with his thoughts, when people don't use proper pronunciation on here it gives me a headache trying to read it. Not that "your" and "you're" are that big of a deal, but some of this stuff people type makes me wonder if they went to school or are just being lazy. I think the world of texting has ruined the english language as we knew it. And I said "Knew" and not "New"

Uh oh, there's another one

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    35th is right, and I have to agree with his thoughts, when people don't use proper pronunciation on here it gives me a headache trying to read it. Not that "your" and "you're" are that big of a deal, but some of this stuff people type makes me wonder if they went to school or are just being lazy. I think the world of texting has ruined the english language as we knew it. And I said "Knew" and not "New"

Uh oh, there's another one
    Its actually ''grammar'' not ''pronunciation''.. (see now hes got me doing it ) BUT i get your drift FBJ and yeah it does get difficult to read some posts if they are littered with grammatical errors-but havent you ever heard the term ''to err is human''?....get it. err....and as far as ''thoughts'' some are best kept to themselves and i did go to school and am not lazy-im just human and may make a mistake but i am man enough to admit when i am wrong If i was? Point taken and ill try to be a good ls1`er as long as others realize that people do misspell and make mistakes and dont come to this website for nit picking and nagging but to talk about cars.
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 10-31-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Its actually ''grammar'' not ''pronunciation''.. (see now hes got me doing it ) BUT i get your drift FBJ and yeah it does get difficult to read some posts if they are littered with grammatical errors-but havent you ever heard the term ''to err is human''?....get it. err....and as far as ''thoughts'' some are best kept to themselves and i did go to school and am not lazy-im just human and may make a mistake but i am man enough to admit when i am wrong If i was? Point taken and ill try to be a good ls1`er as long as others realize that people do misspell and make mistakes and dont come to this website for nit picking and nagging but to talk about cars.
    I wasn't really referring to you. Those that have been here long enough know what I'm talking about. It's grammar and pronunciation both. There have been some really crazy stuff here. One huge paragraph with no beginning or end anywhere, no periods or capital letters, and several subjects mixed in,,, kind of stuff

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Should we tar and feather them or give them 40 lashes?.... yeah i have seen some (not many though) that were incoherent ill admit that.....Like i said earlier im not here to get into a war of words or wills with anyone and i dont have any animosity towards anyone i would rather just stick to the subject of the posters.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am correct, SS. You are misinterpreting the definition. If a sentence is structured in such a way that it needs to be read as "you are", the correct term to use is you're. The word you're is a conjunction of the two words you and are. There is no other interpretation.

Several examples:

I like your car. Your car is red. Your dog is a Lab. The word your can only be used describing something possessive.

You're breaking a rule. You are breaking a rule. Nothing possessive is being described in these instances.

You're welcome. You are welcome.

That cat is bigger than your dog. Again, possessive - your dog.

I am not on here to be a grammar guru. However, when someone attempts to make a witty retort by trying to point out a mistake I made, when in fact that person was incorrect, I will become one.

Let's move forward, please.

I am correct, SS. You are misinterpreting the definition. If a sentence is structured in such a way that it needs to be read as "you are", the correct term to use is you're. The word you're is a conjunction of the two words you and are. There is no other interpretation.

Several examples:

I like your car. Your car is red. Your dog is a Lab. The word your can only be used describing something possessive.

You're breaking a rule. You are breaking a rule. Nothing possessive is being described in these instances.

You're welcome. You are welcome.

That cat is bigger than your dog. Again, possessive - your dog.

I am not on here to be a grammar guru. However, when someone attempts to make a witty retort by trying to point out a mistake I made, when in fact that person was incorrect, I will become one.

Let's move forward, please.
    Don't worry 35th, I know what you are saying is correct Any 6 year old can tell you the same thing, It's just about the first thing they teach in grammar school.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't worry 35th, I know what you are saying is correct Any 6 year old can tell you the same thing, It's just about the first thing they teach in grammar school.
    -yeah thats about the level of the argument here - of a 6 year old-they also teach you in grammar school how to get along with others too-funny how one just has to write a 4 inch comment and then say lets just move forward......thats what i said in post #50 ...Im here to talk about cars not deal with someones superiority complex. MOVING FORWARD .>>>>
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 11-01-2012 at 03:50 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am not sure who you are referring to about having a superior complex You keep quoting me with an incorrect rebuttal, yet you state you want to move on? That is irony my friend. I explained to you why you are wrong, just like I would explain to someone about a car issue; in detail.

I get along with everyone on here just fine. I have been here for over 4 years, not 4 months. I have no issues with any members here. That includes yourself.

If you would like to continue to debate the topic of grammar, please do so. In fact, lets start a grammar thread in the AAG section. I would be glad to join in on it. Plus, we can write more freely in AAG; within site rules of course Only if you want to though. Hell, I might even learn a few things in there.

And for the record, this site is not solely about cars. People come on here to discuss many things other than cars. People talk about their homes, their kids, their jobs, things they did today, relationship issues, the military, guns, hobbies outside of vehicles, etc. There are no boundaries to what this site encompasses as long as no rules are broken.

I will also add that I have over 9,500 posts on this site - all technical related. I probably have over 20,000 posts in all. I can say with confidence I have helped more people on this site over the last four years with car issues than 90%+ of the members here. That is not an ego boost for myself either, it is a fact. I enjoy helping others and that is why I have tried to help you understand word usage. I also learn from this site. I learn about cars and many other subjects. I like learning. If someone is trying to explain something to me, I do not get butt-hurt over it. I read it, try to comprehend it, and if I still do not understand I will ask them to explain it in further detail.

We all joke around on here and push each others buttons. That is what keeps this site interesting and fun. Some people like to see how far they can push that envelope though. I do not know why, but they do.

I have made several friends from this site over the years. Some of them I speak to daily outside of the site. Some I have met in real life.

You can say what you would like about me though. I'm sure your 4 month membership here is held in high regard with the members who have all known me for over 4 years

I will be looking for your grammar thread in AAG.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Haha all this grammar talk makes think to brain.

Cassper right on man, so long as their insurance isn't hassling you and paying for everything.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thumbs up

I am not sure who you are referring to about having a superior complex You keep quoting me with an incorrect rebuttal, yet you state you want to move on? That is irony my friend. I explained to you why you are wrong, just like I would explain to someone about a car issue; in detail.

I get along with everyone on here just fine. I have been here for over 4 years, not 4 months. I have no issues with any members here. That includes yourself.

If you would like to continue to debate the topic of grammar, please do so. In fact, lets start a grammar thread in the AAG section. I would be glad to join in on it. Plus, we can write more freely in AAG; within site rules of course Only if you want to though. Hell, I might even learn a few things in there.

And for the record, this site is not solely about cars. People come on here to discuss many things other than cars. People talk about their homes, their kids, their jobs, things they did today, relationship issues, the military, guns, hobbies outside of vehicles, etc. There are no boundaries to what this site encompasses as long as no rules are broken.

I will also add that I have over 9,500 posts on this site - all technical related. I probably have over 20,000 posts in all. I can say with confidence I have helped more people on this site over the last four years with car issues than 90%+ of the members here. That is not an ego boost for myself either, it is a fact. I enjoy helping others and that is why I have tried to help you understand word usage. I also learn from this site. I learn about cars and many other subjects. I like learning. If someone is trying to explain something to me, I do not get butt-hurt over it. I read it, try to comprehend it, and if I still do not understand I will ask them to explain it in further detail.

We all joke around on here and push each others buttons. That is what keeps this site interesting and fun. Some people like to see how far they can push that envelope though. I do not know why, but they do.

I have made several friends from this site over the years. Some of them I speak to daily outside of the site. Some I have met in real life.
    You can say what you would like about me though. I'm sure your 4 month membership here is held in high regard with the members who have all known me for over 4 years

I will be looking for your grammar thread in AAG.
    Alright you too, stop this before it is to late. Oops, it is already two late?

Jon, I think its' funny you're comment about ''some I've met in real life''. We went on a cruise once, correct?

Any spelling issues with whatI posted? I see the ''to'' and ''too'' misused all the time. And don't get my started on comma mis-application!
    Yeah we should have a grammar thread in AAG.

OP, shift under 2k if you want better MPG.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

:nonono:

White
    2000 SS

Well that escalated quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question about my car, if the dealership is fixing it with all gm original parts, is the car still considered "all original"?

Depends on how you define that term.

All original or original as in "unrestored" are two different things.

All original can mean simply that the car has the appearance of being built as it was when it rolled off the assembly line, but doesn't necessarily mean it still has it's original date coded parts, but possibly correct replacements whether reproduction or good used originals.

An unrestored car is a different catagory, meaning it still sports everything that it rolled off the assembly line with (including the paint) and hasn't been cosmetically restored in any way inside or out. Still sporting it's original pieces and parts it was born with.

The saying goes,,,,"they are only original once". This has a different point of view for different people.

Having a couple of unrestored original cars here, my view on the subject falls along the lines that your NCA judges use, and there are some exceptions to wear items of course, but the term unrestored has evolved into what they now call survivor cars.

Once wrecked unfortunately they are no longer unrestored or survivor cars because things will be changed and/or repaired.

Original? In the sense that the car still appears as it did when new,,,then yes.

Original as in unrestored? No.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information