Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mileage problem

White
    2000 SS

Mileage problem

Can anyone else post about how many miles yall are getting on a stock ls1, the entire tank? This would help a lot. It is a six speed by the way.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Stock? Not too many people have stock vehicles on here. You should be getting in the ballpark of 17-18 city and 27-29 highway. It STRONGLY depends on your driving habits. It also depends on how well the car has been maintained; engine, tires, air filter, fuel filter, etc. Lots of variables.

Tank size is 16.8 gallons. You can do the math.

White
    2000 SS

Well a little background on the car. Its a 2000 ss, garage kept, 63k miles. All original, the only reason i ask is because i got about 130 miles with a quarter tank left. I dont drive the car rough at all, i actually baby it quite a bit. Only had it for about a week.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

130 miles with a quarter of a tank left? Sounds like it needs a tune-up. I regularly get 200+ miles out of roughly 3/4 a tank of fuel (I get roughly 18.5 around town, haven't made any long trips to see what kind of highway miles I get). My car is just under 94k and isn't stock by any stretch of the imagination, but still.........

White
    2000 SS

I know there can not be anything huge wrong with the car, but its possible the fuel filter has never been changed so im going to try that first.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Easiest way to figure out what kind of mileage you're getting is to fill the tank up completely. Zero out your trip meter and drive the car as you normally would. When you get down to roughly a 1/4 tank, fill the car up again. Look at your trip meter and take the mileage and divide how many gallons it took to fill the car up into your mileage. Post your results here. I'd look at replacing the fuel filter (as you already stated), and also take a look at your air filter, for starters. Make sure your tires are aired up properly, also, as this can affect fuel mileage. Is your Service Engine Soon light on? Vacuum leaks and problems with O2's sensors can cause issues with mileage, along with bad spark plugs, wires and coils.

White
    2000 SS

Ill probably post those numbers tomorrow or the next day, but it has absolutely no check engine lights on, and to be sure i plugged it up to the computer at school to check for any codes and there were none.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Stock? Not too many people have stock vehicles on here. You should be getting in the ballpark of 17-18 city and 27-29 highway. It STRONGLY depends on your driving habits. It also depends on how well the car has been maintained; engine, tires, air filter, fuel filter, etc. Lots of variables.

Tank size is 16.8 gallons. You can do the math.
    As an example of what Jon said is I usually get 18 mpg around town type driving and 25 mpg on a highway drive. You can refer to my signature to see what has been altered from a stock vehicle. I'm pretty sure a different driver in my car would not get the same results but still in the ball park.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have a modded 2002 SS M6 with 33k and I like to get on it from time to time but I don't beat on it. I get 300 miles to a tank on average. 3/4 city, 1/4 highway driving.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

For what its worth- mods and good tunes WILL get you better performance hence better fuel economy then a stocker.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Running cheap gas? LS1 likes 91-93 octane and will likely get better mpg's on higher octane rated fuel.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Running cheap gas? LS1 likes 91-93 octane and will likely get better mpg's on higher octane rated fuel.
    I had a customer who liked running our stations Chevron supreme ( 92-i think?) he swore that he got better mileage of the super then on regular or plus.Ive NEVER ran anything but Supreme so i dont know anything about running on less

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You'll get a little better on the good stuff. Nothing that's going to be jaw dropping.

It adds up over a full tank worth of fuel though.

Your owners manual recommends higher octane ratings as well.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Also note that the gas gauge in a lot of cars is not linear. What I mean by that is you'll get X amount of miles from full to 3/4 and a lot less from 1/4 to empty. The best way to know is calculating it like the above poster mentioned.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ Agree with 35th & Smittro yeah gauges are funky!

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

^^ agreed. The fuel gauge gets all screwy when the pump gets old. I don't know if you do this already, but NEVERRR let your gas tank dip below 1/4 tank in the summer time. I've had to replace two fuel pumps (On both Camaro AND current car) and its costly.

White
    2000 SS

I've been running 93 octane gas. Gonna change the fuel filter tomorrow.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    ^^ agreed. The fuel gauge gets all screwy when the pump gets old. I don't know if you do this already, but NEVERRR let your gas tank dip below 1/4 tank in the summer time. I've had to replace two fuel pumps (On both Camaro AND current car) and its costly.
    Do it yourself? If so, drop the tank, or trapdoor? Don't want to turn this into a debate, just asking.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have to say it, clean the MAF, and then, replace the O2 sensors. One of those will fix your problem. Most likely the Maf. Less than ten dollars, and an hour of your time.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Octane ratings shouldn't make much difference, maybe just barely. The engine can use more spark advance with higher octane, if it can do that.

Older cars that had no knock sensor, it made no difference and could make MPG worse, since a higher octane fuel generally is harder to ignite.

I get right at 24 driving back and forth to work with some city thrown in. Highway only ranges from 26-28.5. Never checked city only. Probably high teens, all depends on the right foot. This vehicle is my best MPG car, and also easily the fastest.

Thread Information