Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree6Likes

Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP

This is a discussion on Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Then if it feels fast to you then that's all that matters. And if weight is not a factor then ...

Red
    99 Z28

Then if it feels fast to you then that's all that matters. And if weight is not a factor then your good to go. I would probably still give previous owner a call and let him know what you found. Do not be "mean" towards him and maybe you can work something out or just have it be known to him.

I'm getting ready to throw a stroked 5.3 in my turbo car. And take out that crappy ls1

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

My crappy LS1 makes 650hp at the crank and feels slow to me lol. It's all relative.
    It's on jackstands.

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My crappy LS1 makes 650hp at the crank and feels slow to me lol. It's all relative.
    Meaning. If you wanted to turn that up and be reliable your gna need new bottom end. 5.3 at those power levels is nothing. Not too many stock ls1s going low 8s and high 4s. Just giving the upside of the 5.3 to him, no dig at anyone, ls1s just have a weak bottom end when it starts coming to 550-600rwhp

And cars will always feel slow lol. Friend has a 1550whp Ugr Gallardo and said it was too slow and sent it back to get the 2r which is 2kwhp
    Last edited by scott5; 11-08-2014 at 10:46 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by scott5 View Post
    Meaning. If you wanted to turn that up and be reliable your gna need new bottom end. 5.3 at those power levels is nothing. Not too many stock ls1s going low 8s and high 4s. Just giving the upside of the 5.3 to him, no dig at anyone, ls1s just have a weak bottom end when it starts coming to 550-600rwhp

And cars will always feel slow lol. Friend has a 1550whp Ugr Gallardo and said it was too slow and sent it back to get the 2r which is 2kwhp
    What is crazy is even with just what I consider modest power, I've yet to come across anyone that comes remotely close to keeping up with me on the street and I've played around with cars with much more power than mine.

I personally wouldn't want an 8s or even 9s street car, which is what mine is, a street car that sees 2k miles a year, maybe. Just doesn't seem very practical to me, otherwise I'd already have one in the garage. Now if I tracked it regularly, that's a different story. I actually see myself being happy with something like a Cadillac CTS-V. Already 3 cars in my stable though, all paid for, and need a bigger garage at this point which I'm working on.

You definitely get used to a certain power level after time. You are correct in that usually anything past 9psi in a stock LS1 (550rwhp) you start risking piston damage. Usually you'll blow up #8 first. Throw in forged connecting rods and pistons and you can push well beyond that to a point. Not something I'd personally do with an LS1. I'd go with a smaller CI motor that's an iron block, put forged internals in it, and boost the hell out of it....if it was a track car.

I could see myself forging my motor and running say 12-14lbs of boost maybe one day. Nothing too crazy though. For the time being I'm pretty content though. Hell, my car was stock the first 8 years I owned it (bought it new).

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The 5.3 is no slouch. Our '07 Suburban has the 5.3 DOD engine and it moves that 6,200 lb. beast quite nicely. Throw my 7,000 lb. trailer behind it and I still do quite well. I know at least one member who swapped a 5.3 into his Trans Am when he was in need of a replacement. As already pointed out, from 346 c.i. to 325 c.i. isn't a huge difference.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Agree. It's a stout motor.

Red
    99 Z28

I'm building my car to run 8.60s-9.20s and drive anywhere anytime. I more than likely will drive it to all lsx races and compete. The winner of true street in Indy went 8.2s and drove 1k miles round trip. It can be done. I would say only thing not street car about my car is no ac, no abs and of course a 10 point. But other than that it will actually weigh more than a stock f body, lol..

I also live around the UGR cars, huge hp supras, brad went 3.99 at 193 the other day, the local true street 275 class goes high 4s.. it's crazy. and here I am just trying to go low 9s haha

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by SiskMan View Post
    Thanks guys for being encouraging. My local dyno does pretty cheap pulls so I might go get a baseline soon. I wish one of you could drive it so you see what I mean when I say it feels REALLY fast. I have no way of knowing what cam is in it or what else has been done. Ill keep everyone updated on the numbers after I go. Thanks again everyone, I'm glad I joined this forum.
    We're glad you joined also and no hard feelings for giving you the sh**t about jumping in blind and " Blame it on the Rain" (Milli Vanilli). There are some great dudes here some I've met face to face and some just on line and we all are here to help however we can.
    There are a lot of great threads on here just start clicking and reading and soon you'll be helping others. You have yourself a great platform now just build from there HOW YOU want the end project to be.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Red
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    We're glad you joined also and no hard feelings for giving you the sh**t about jumping in blind and " Blame it on the Rain" (Milli Vanilli). There are some great dudes here some I've met face to face and some just on line and we all are here to help however we can.
    There are a lot of great threads on here just start clicking and reading and soon you'll be helping others. You have yourself a great platform now just build from there HOW YOU want the end project to be.
    Exactly this! Ask for opinions and options and help all day everyday but in the end take what you have learned and do it how you wanna do it. Use the cam, heads, intake, n20, turbo, sc you wanna use. He'll leave*it alone if you want to. Your the one who pays for it and drives it so as long as you like it it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information