Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

red
    2000 WS6

Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP

I was tinkering today and noticed that my cylinder heads say 706 on them. So now im trying to find the block number to run that and see if I just bought a 5.3 WS6...... The trans tunnel has scratches and dings from what is probably an engine/trans pull. Where do I look for the number on the block itself?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It's tough to see -- back of the engine, driver side, below the head. You will need a telescoping mirror and a flashlight.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP

wow that would piss me off.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

red
    2000 WS6

The door stickers and everything else check out fine. its a true ws6. has everything that it should, ls1 intake, power steering cooler, etc. That doesn't mean anything tho i guess since the short/long blocks are interchangeable.

Navy Blue Metallic

did you get it from a private seller or a dealer?

red
    2000 WS6

private seller. it was pouring ass rain when I bought it and needless to say I missed a few things. This is my first LS car and I really didnt know what to look for. The car is most definitely fast and has no problem at all getting to 120 (fastest ive gone). I really hope the block number gives me some good news when I get a peak back there.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I wonder if the previous owner had one of the stock heads crack or something and had easy access to a set of 706 heads lying around.

Hopefully your block belongs to your car and it's just the heads. It's not that big of a deal, and easily remedied, but the seller should have let you know. Was the seller the original owner of the car?

red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I wonder if the previous owner had one of the stock heads crack or something and had easy access to a set of 706 heads lying around.

Hopefully your block belongs to your car and it's just the heads. It's not that big of a deal, and easily remedied, but the seller should have let you know. Was the seller the original owner of the car?
    No, just some middle aged dude who had bought it for his mid life crisis. You could tell he really didn't know much about cars. damn i really hope its just the heads since I could live with that. They would at least give a bump in compression. Ill let you guys know after I get off work. PRAY TO THE CAR GODS FOR ME!!! lol

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiskMan View Post
    No, just some middle aged dude who had bought it for his mid life crisis. You could tell he really didn't know much about cars. damn i really hope its just the heads since I could live with that. They would at least give a bump in compression. Ill let you guys know after I get off work. PRAY TO THE CAR GODS FOR ME!!! lol
    Well, he apparently knew nothing about it then. I have a hard time believing that anyone would do an LS1 to 5.3 swap in an fbody. But there are some strange people in this world...

Navy Blue Metallic

KR it's a very common swap when you can't find or afford a LS1/6 block. Plus the turbo guys love the 5.3 blocks.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    KR it's a very common swap when you can't find or afford a LS1/6 block. Plus the turbo guys love the 5.3 blocks.
    This....I hear and see about it all the time with turbo guys as well as the 4.8.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

red
    2000 WS6

Stuck a magnet to the block this morning so things aren't looking good. Haven't looked at the casting number though yet. COME ON LQ4!!!!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I suppose if money is that limited. I guess its just not something I would ever consider doing myself

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

To expand further, the 5.3L blocks are iron whereas the LS1 block is aluminum. While the LS1/LS6 will make more power, the iron block will hold a lot more power when boosted. This is why Scott is saying turbo guys like that block over the LS1.

Plus, it's generally cheaper to buy.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

red
    2000 WS6

Makes me pretty angry. I've always wanted a ws6 and I worked my ass off, saved up forever, and waited patiently until I found a car that was just right. An now I have a car with the wrong engine that I shelled out serious cash for.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    To expand further, the 5.3L blocks are iron whereas the LS1 block is aluminum. While the LS1/LS6 will make more power, the iron block will hold a lot more power when boosted. This is why Scott is saying turbo guys like that block over the LS1.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That does make more sense to me. I just think back to when I was doing the rebuild for my Chevelle, and even in my less patient mid 20's, I opted to wait the extra almost two weeks to get my original block back because I wanted to retain my matching numbers.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SiskMan View Post
    Makes me pretty angry. I've always wanted a ws6 and I worked my ass off, saved up forever, and waited patiently until I found a car that was just right. An now I have a car with the wrong engine that I shelled out serious cash for.
    It will say what liter block it is near or behind the water pump so you 100% certain.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

I would think It would be pretty easy to tell a aluminum block to a steel one. I think I would have come back when the rain was over.
    However Hot Rod did a test maybe a year ago where they took a junk yard truck motor (thought it was a 5.3 turned out to be 4.8) bolted a Fast 102 and threw it on the dyno, 404hp then came twin 76mm turbos @ 8psi was 800+hp. The test ended at 26psi and 1,200+hp after 60 dyno pulls. The test was to see how much it would take before blowing and that did not happen. So maybe a turbo or procharger is in your future.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    It will say what liter block it is near or behind the water pump so you 100% certain.
    on the drivers side below the cylinder head.

Thread Information