Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP

This is a discussion on Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by kingls1 I would think It would be pretty easy to tell a aluminum block to a steel ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    I would think It would be pretty easy to tell a aluminum block to a steel one.
    Yes, it most certainly would. One is very shiny and non-magnetic
    kingls1 likes this.
    It's on jackstands.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I wouldn't be terribly upset about a 5.3 (especially since you said it feels really fast) but it could be a 6.0 too as that is a pretty popular swap as well. Here is exactly where it will say what liter it is:

Just like Scott confirmed under the driver's side head.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Imagine how happy he would be if it was a 6.0L with just crappy heads.

red
    2000 WS6

I crawled under there and couldn't fine a liter size at all. All I could make out was a laser etched VIN or Part # with my mirror. 16501? That's all I could make out, there was more after that. Its really hard to read.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This site shows all the block casting #'s.

http://southernperformancesystems.com/Tech-Info/block-casting.html

red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I wouldn't be terribly upset about a 5.3 (especially since you said it feels really fast) but it could be a 6.0 too as that is a pretty popular swap as well. Here is exactly where it will say what liter it is:
    Click for full size

Just like Scott confirmed under the driver's side head.
    Yeah I hope its a 6.0. I let my friend drive it at work today on his lunch break after telling him the news. He walked back in to the store with the biggest grin on his face and said "Hell man I wouldn't worry about it that thing is FAST." He's owned many cars and driven many more so that made me feel pretty good. But still......we shall see

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Imagine how happy he would be if it was a 6.0L with just crappy heads.
    I would seriously go do donuts until I was down to the brake discs.........

red
    2000 WS6

For some reason I thought everyone meant on the rear of the engine, which is why it has taken me so long. I wish someone would have just said under the power steering pump but I guess I didn't realize. Anyway it says 4.8/5.3.......I'm gonna go cry now I guess

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    It will say what liter block it is near or behind the water pump so you 100% certain.
    It was pointed out earlier today! Maybe it was raining or something
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

red
    2000 WS6

Come on man I was frustrated and just didn't realize. I appreciate everyone's responses to my thread

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiskMan View Post
    For some reason I thought everyone meant on the rear of the engine, which is why it has taken me so long. I wish someone would have just said under the power steering pump but I guess I didn't realize. Anyway it says 4.8/5.3.......I'm gonna go cry now I guess
    Well, you've got a couple of choices... You can either give up the car and attempt to get your money back, or sue the guy you bought it from for false advertising if he doesn't want to give it back to you, or, invest in a supercharger

I learned something new today.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Might have bought a 5.3 "LS1"....HELP

Damn and I was hoping it would be a 6.0.

What state you in. Our in house lawyer might be able to offer some options.

Paging Jeff....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black/ Silver

If the person he bought it from didn't know there is nothing you can do about it. In my state any sale from a private party is an as is sale and the seller cannot be held accountable for anything, it is the buyers responsibility to make sure everything is right. With that said it is morally wrong to sell something like this if it was said it had ls1 in it.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 11-07-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

But it was sold as a true WS6. It's not. Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. I think it's worth looking into

Shannon, how long have you had the car, did you just buy it recently?

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by SiskMan View Post
    Come on man I was frustrated and just didn't realize. I appreciate everyoney's responses to my thread
    I understand how frustrated you must be. I would have to say you are more than likly stuck with it as is. because most states put all the responsibilty on the buyer to do their homework take it to a mechanic, etc, etc. Unless you have a ad listing it was a LS1 car and not just a LS you may have a shot. Time to slow down and look at it closely. Good luck keep us posted

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Don't see anywhere where OP said the ad said it was a WS6 with an LS1 motor in it.

Unless you have the original ad, you're SOL. Even if you do, you're still likely SOL.

Lesson learned. Start saving for a turbo or supercharger...that'll cheer you up

red
    2000 WS6

The ad says nothing about an LS1. I already looked at that yesterday. The car is still fast, like really fast, better than the 02 mustang gt I almost bought. Ill save up for a lq4 longblock and swap it some weekend. I won't have a shot at getting any money back. Plus the bill of sale says less than what I paid to save on taxes. So I'm just stuck with a 5.3 WS6. At least I can put 87 octane in it.....

red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    But it was sold as a true WS6. It's not. Ignorance of the law isn't an excuse. I think it's worth looking into

Shannon, how long have you had the car, did you just buy it recently?
    I haven't even had it a month yet. But idk if there is anything that can be done. I am gonna call the previous owner tomorrow as the ad is still up on CL. Here it is by the way:

2000 WS6 TRANSAM

Red
    99 Z28

Don't get rid of the motor! For one you have a strong bottom end and a stronger block. save for a Turbo setup. Guess what the fastest f bodies and SBE guys in X275/outlaw racing have? 5.3s! I would put a Turbo SBE 5.3 up against any sbe ls1. You have a great platform to start with. You can easily make 800hp with that thing and not even touch the motor.
    kingls1 likes this.

Black/ Silver

I just don't see it as that big of a deal after a cam and head swap you would most likely not notice a difference. You are talking about .4 liters which isn't that much. You could get a tune for 93 octane which will bump up some hp too. If you are bent on wanting a 5.7 liter the 5.3 can be bored out to a 5.7 and you could just swap in a 5.7 rotating assembly or just buy a 5.3 block and do the same and that way you won't be down the car. I have seen 5.3 short blocks for a couple hundred dollars. 6.0 swap would work as well.

red
    2000 WS6

Thanks guys for being encouraging. My local dyno does pretty cheap pulls so I might go get a baseline soon. I wish one of you could drive it so you see what I mean when I say it feels REALLY fast. I have no way of knowing what cam is in it or what else has been done. Ill keep everyone updated on the numbers after I go. Thanks again everyone, I'm glad I joined this forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information