Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

MAP sensor may be bad

This is a discussion on MAP sensor may be bad within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So would my smoke machine that you use for special effects work and not hurt the engine?...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

So would my smoke machine that you use for special effects work and not hurt the engine?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Are you totally against taking 5 seconds of your time and using carb cleaner???

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Are you totally against taking 5 seconds of your time and using carb cleaner???
    i find it hard to use...especially for the back of the intake..to get a can with a straw on it back there. granted if the leak is on the side or front..it will be easy to use

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the hook it up and it pumps smoke into the engine as it is sealed..and will show the area where the leak is happening ..this is all done with the engine not running
    I'd just assume it would leak out the through an open exhaust valve or through the throttle body/IAC. I guess if it could produce a lot of smoke and pressure, it could still pressurize the engine a little bit. I've never seen one or heard of anyone around here using them.

Black/ Silver

Okay last night I replaced the map sensor and hooked everything back up and it started fine no rpm spikes or anything. I cleared the codes and went out for a drive and they didn't come back. While I was driving though the car started to act like I was revving the engine but I wasn't but that was when I was half way to where I was going so maybe 5 or 10mins after I left my house. Also on the way back maybe halfway back it stopped doing it. But the engine light came back on so when I came home I checked them and now I have these codes: P0118(2), P0306(2), P0157. Why would I have a misfire in cylinder 6 nothing is wrong with it, I have had the compression checked, checked all of the ingition stuff, and replaced the fuel injector. The code went away once I replaced the fuel injector and vacuum line and I haven't really drove it sense then but it's back for some reason. The O2 sensor problem is strange since I just replaced all 4 of my O2 sensors. I didn't even touch the coolant sensor when replacing all the stuff I did, so why would it come up now. I feel like my computer is confused and messed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 09-25-2010 at 08:35 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Why would I have a misfire in cylinder 6 nothing is wrong with it, I have had the compression checked, checked all of the ingition stuff, and replaced the fuel injector. The code went away once I replaced the fuel injector and vacuum line and I haven't really drove it sense then but it's back for some reason.
    Sometimes you have to drive the car around a bit for the the computer to run its tests on everything before it'll set codes. So you have compression, right? You've verified you have spark and a good spark plug, correct? And now you have a new fuel injector on that cylinder. Where did you get that injector from?
    You could try swapping ignition coil, spark plug, spark plug wire, and fuel injector one at a time with another cylinder to see if you can get the misfire to follow a component over to another cylinder

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Sometimes you have to drive the car around a bit for the the computer to run its tests on everything before it'll set codes. So you have compression, right? You've verified you have spark and a good spark plug, correct? And now you have a new fuel injector on that cylinder. Where did you get that injector from?
    You could try swapping ignition coil, spark plug, spark plug wire, and fuel injector one at a time with another cylinder to see if you can get the misfire to follow a component over to another cylinder
    I have a new spark plug in cylinder 6 and new injector, its a bosch injector from autozone, the misfire went away when I replaced it. I have switched the coil, and wires and nothing changed. I have compression in cylinder 6, the shop I took it to checked and said there was. Is it possible the computer is a little confused and needs to be reset or something? But still the O2 sensor code is weird because I replaced all 4 of my O2 sensors like a month ago.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Oh ok. so now you have a misfire code but can no longer feel the misfire? In that case, I would clear the codes again and drive it some more and see what happens.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Oh ok. so now you have a misfire code but can no longer feel the misfire? In that case, I would clear the codes again and drive it some more and see what happens.
    Well when I took it out for a drive I heard a pop occasionally but not like before and it didn't sound the same but I am not idling rough like before the really only running problem is the revving. I only heard the pop a few times in the beginning and then didn't hear it again for the rest of the drive. It's so weird all this stuff started happening after I had my LTs, Y and catback installed.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

OOOOH ok...you should have mentioned that to begin with.
    Quite a few people have experienced similar problems after header installs.
    People have bumped and cracked spark plugs during header installs. They've also not gotten the plug wires on all the way.
    Some have also bumped and cracked the coolant temp sensor during header installs. Check out that sensor for physical damage.
    Your O2 sensor code is a post cat converter code. Do you still have cats? Either way you can have the post cat O2 sensors tuned out in the computer. You could also check to see if the sensor wiring is burnt against the exhaust
    Last edited by Cutlass; 09-27-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Black/ Silver

I have high flow cats on. Wouldn't the coolant sensor code come up pretty soon after the header install if it was damaged during it? Also what would it look like if it was damaged? All the last codes that came up came up after I installed the new MAP sensor, they never showed up before that, I just find that a little weird. Would any of this be solved by a tune besides the after cat sensor? Btw thanks for all the info and help Cutlass.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I have high flow cats on. Wouldn't the coolant sensor code come up pretty soon after the header install if it was damaged during it? Also what would it look like if it was damaged? All the last codes that came up came up after I installed the new MAP sensor, they never showed up before that, I just find that a little weird. Would any of this be solved by a tune besides the after cat sensor? Btw thanks for all the info and help Cutlass.
    My temp sensor was just cracked and acted a lil funny for about 2 weeks before burning up the contact points inside it where the plastic connector meets the metal threaded part and it made my car not idle at all and run kinda funny without any codes or warning.

Black/ Silver

Where is the coolant sensor anyways? I think I know where it is but I want to make sure? What do you mean by acting funny?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

it is on the driver side...in the front/side of the engine....basically right above and a little left of plug #1

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    it is on the driver side...in the front/side of the engine....basically right above and a little left of plug #1
    Okay cause then it's broken....I think. It has three little prongs sticking out of it. My mechanic says that is what is causing the revving.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Alright. Replace it, clear the codes and let us know how it goes.

Pearl White
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Sorry to bump such an old post... Did your car immediately die when your had a bad MAP sensor. I have the same problem with a MAP sensor code. Its hard to even keep it running.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Arrend Munns View Post
    Sorry to bump such an old post... Did your car immediately die when your had a bad MAP sensor. I have the same problem with a MAP sensor code. Its hard to even keep it running.
    Sounds like the problem I had. It would only stay running for a second if I were to give it some gas.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information