Thread: Major Problems

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Major Problems

Help!
    I have a 1998 Camaro with a 216/220 cam..small. But after the install the car is running like crap. Can barely drive it. It feels as if its either flooding or something. I checked all the plugs and everthing is firing and i have compression in all cylinders. It keeps throwing the code for fuel control and system too lean. My fuel pressure fluctuates from 40 to 44 but when i get on it the pressure drops. Ive had the computer tuned but that only seems to worsen the problem. Do you think it could be the fuel pump? Anyone had these problems? Any help would be appreciated.

White
    98 Trans AM

Well as far as I know the stock fuel pressure was supposed to be like 58 Lbs so some where you have lost a lot. Maybe something clogged your fuel filter so I would start by replacing that and maybe you will get lucky and not have it be the pump.
    98 T/A: HPE 5.3 Heads, 238/242 113 cam, Kooks 1 7/8 stepped LT headers, Custom Y pipe, Cut out, Borla, NW 90MM TB, FAST 90MM Intake, TB Bypass, Under Drive Power steering and Crank, 150 Dry NOS, Yella Terra rockers, 3400 TC, HPE tuning,

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Yeah...definitely low on fuel pressure. We run a 4-bar system.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

But would it make it run lean on just bank 2?

White
    98 Trans AM

Well I would not think it would just show on bank 2 but the fuel pressure is way to low in general. I know this is also stating the obvious but you may also want to try un plugging that bank sensor and plug back in just to make sure it is getting a good connection. Again I would also replace the fuel filter which is any easy deal just to make sure that is not blocked cuz 40 fuel PSI is low. You might also want to get some electrical cleaner and clean the MAF since that has to do with your air and fuel mixture as well.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

I changed the fuel filter and it gained pressure but then dropped back down to 40 psi. I am going to change the regulator and pump. I have a question. My fuel pressure regulator is in the tank right. Its not the thing in between the fuel rails, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dude2000_22222 View Post
    I changed the fuel filter and it gained pressure but then dropped back down to 40 psi. I am going to change the regulator and pump. I have a question. My fuel pressure regulator is in the tank right. Its not the thing in between the fuel rails, right?
    right,the "thing between the fuel rails" is the pulsator.It acts as an acumulator to stop the hammering caused by the fuel injectors opening and closing.

Thread Information