Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

maf screen??

This is a discussion on maf screen?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I don't think a hand held tuner will compensate but I could be wrong. I do know laptop programs like ...

I don't think a hand held tuner will compensate but I could be wrong.
    I do know laptop programs like LS1 Edit and HPtuner does.

okay i put the screen back in i was careful not to damage it when i took it out. should i disconnect the battery for it to relearn or just drive it??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by JonD99 View Post
    I have the predator prog. can that tune compensate, or do i need to goto a shop with ls1edit or efi live?
    NO Prdator will not allow you to redo the maf table it would take a program such as HP Tuners or ls1 Edit ect.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Yep thats what I thought LS2Tuner. One of the reasons I went with HPtuner to tinker with the car.

02SScamaro,,,,I would think that just driving the car will be sufficient.

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

If porting the MAF, removing the screen messes up your car, then why do companies like SLP and Granatelli sell them with a claim of 10-15 hp for our cars??? Those are two huge companies for our cars and i wouldn't think they would try to rip you off.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Because they are a aftermarket sensor that was designed without the screen!!! Not a joe blow ripping out the screen on a factory maf that was designed with the screen........
    And if you could find a statement fromeither of those companys inlightening you to remove your factory screen on your factory sensor I would be VERY surprised.

I hope that makes you undestand that your talking about 2 different things totally!!

That is correct, I have talked to Joe at SLP about this and he doesn't recommend to pull the screen from a factory MAF with a stock tune. It's only recommended if you have the car custom tuned.

The point you bring up Jon is a good one. Aftermarket MAF's don't have the screens. Also even the newer cars made now from the factory do not have screens anymore either.

Just to add more confusion to this,,,my fathers 01 or 02 3/4 ton pickup has a 6.0 litre LSx series motor. His MAF sensor is larger than the LS1 sensors used on the Fbodies 80 mm verses 75 mm (I believe) and his truck came factory with no screen as well. I have heard of people adapting these larger screenless truck MAF's to the LS1 Fbodies but I don't know whats involved or if the harness is the same. Finding one in a junk yard shouldn't be too difficult, and would be much cheaper than the aftermarket.

Something to consider, if it can indeed be done? Anyone here try this or have any insight? Larry.

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

So in a nutshelll: From the factory the maf is calibrated to measure air through the screen and the aftermarket ones are designed to measure air w/o a screen (as long as they don't have one installed with the maf).

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The SLP 85mm maf comes with the screen if you buy the one made for the f-body. I don't know about the granatelli.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by JonD99 View Post
    So in a nutshelll: From the factory the maf is calibrated to measure air through the screen and the aftermarket ones are designed to measure air w/o a screen (as long as they don't have one installed with the maf).
    Read are prior discussions on this they go into great detail........ The screen straightings the air flow=more volocity.

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

idk, i think i'll run my car how it is, if i throw a code then i will try something new, she runs pretty smooth now, maybe i am just lucky.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

No MAF probably gives you, what, 2hp? Not worth it to me.

No MAF would be a speed density system. Thats completely different and would be an entire discussion by itself that I won't get into.
    Jon if you have already removed the screen then I would leave it at that. Eventually you will probably get your car tuned I would imagine. When you do find a good tuner and just make them aware that your screen is removed. Most good tuners already have MAF tables they can plug into most any combination that are calibrated for screenless MAF's.
    I know a local tuner around me that told me to remove the screen before I brought the car over for a custom tune. He knows what to do with the MAF tables.
    If it's worth a few ponies and you are getting the car tuned anyway,,,then why not,,,every little bit helps. Larry.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i just checked mine tonite and i got a bunch of crap on my screen as well. took extra care to put the lid back on. found out the car also has a K&N drop in filter on it.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just to add more confusion to this,,,my fathers 01 or 02 3/4 ton pickup has a 6.0 litre LSx series motor. His MAF sensor is larger than the LS1 sensors used on the Fbodies 80 mm verses 75 mm (I believe) and his truck came factory with no screen as well. I have heard of people adapting these larger screenless truck MAF's to the LS1 Fbodies but I don't know whats involved or if the harness is the same. Finding one in a junk yard shouldn't be too difficult, and would be much cheaper than the aftermarket.

Something to consider, if it can indeed be done? Anyone here try this or have any insight? Larry.

Didn't SLP do this before they came out with their own MAF's? I remember you got one of theirs which was a reprogrammed truck sensor that came with an adapter harness.

I'm descreened and ported. I couldn't tell you exactly how much it added or didn't add as I did all the free mods (descreen,tb bypass, ram air, throttle stop, egr cut) and the K&N and synth change at the same time. I went from 13.7's stock to like 13.5's and picked up throttle response and gas mileage. But, I always planned on having a custom tune anyway so descreening it was not an issue. But never threw a code untill I gutted the cats.

On a related issue I had always heard that porting the MAF leaned the A/F ratio which worked for me. I was running pig rich when I gutted the cats and then I ported the MAF and it stopped running as rich.

so i'm better off buying a aftermarket maf??? slp????

When my car was on warranty, one of the times it was serviced THEY took the screen out. No issues.

Black
    1999 Chevy Camaro Z28

When i do a head/cam upgrade i will definately bring this issue up when i am tuning the car, thanks for the info guys.

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by 02sscamaro View Post
    i have one for sale....$100 shipped

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02sscamaro View Post
    Hell no.

STOCKER!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information