Results 1 to 15 of 15

maf question?

This is a discussion on maf question? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; how do i pull the screen out without damage? also is it worth it? thanks...

  1. #1
    Member 02sscamaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    long island,n.y
    Posts
    112

    maf question?

    how do i pull the screen out without damage? also is it worth it? thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    Not worth it IMO. Stock MAF is fine.

  3. #3
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by 02sscamaro View Post
    how do i pull the screen out without damage? also is it worth it? thanks
    NO IT'S NOT!! Your going to throw the calibration out the window and not gain SH_T!!

    If you do a search we have had MANY pages of debate over this issue.
    Are you forced induction?
    90% of the time I've seen all that it does is richen the tune so YES if your lean and looking for the improper way to gain then try it.
    But in my opion I'd never remove it. Buy an after market one that doesn't have one that has been calibrated like that if you think it's restricting your power.
    Thats my 2 cents take or leave it.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

  4. #4
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    NO IT'S NOT!! Your going to throw the calibration out the window and not gain SH_T!!

    If you do a search we have had MANY pages of debate over this issue.
    Are you forced induction?
    90% of the time I've seen all that it does is richen the tune so YES if your lean and looking for the improper way to gain then try it.
    But in my opion I'd never remove it. Buy an after market one that doesn't have one that has been calibrated like that if you think it's restricting your power.
    Thats my 2 cents take or leave it.
    I believe everything you have stated. I find it funny that in an older GM-High Tech Performance they recommend removing it.

  5. #5
    Member SSpdDmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Farmington, MI
    Age
    36
    Posts
    332

    SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

    Yeah, leave it stock. If you want to do a MAF mod...go to Autozone, buy MAF cleaner, remove MAF, spray cleaner inside MAF, reinstall MAF, and enjoy.

  6. #6
    Member 89LX's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    East Coast North Carolina
    Posts
    429

    Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

    No ill Effects

    I damaged my screen trying to remove it for polishing the MAF. So.......it is now gone for good and have experienced no problems what so ever. I don't think its a particular big deal one way or the other. Some Venturi (want-a-be ) experts might take issue. I was more worried about something getting sucked in the engine....oh well.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

  7. #7
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I believe everything you have stated. I find it funny that in an older GM-High Tech Performance they recommend removing it.
    God it's amazing how many publishing houses are still printing garbage. At the speed shop we had an outfit come in about 6-7 years ago trying to get us to put there books in so we tried them for a month and on the slow days we would flip through them.
    Boy were they confused in the late 70's to the late 80's. And the worst is alot of the books still sold were writing in that "cloudy" period. Don't get me wrong there is some old books that are VERY true. But there is also some were they just didn't understand the whole NEW aspect of computers anf fuel inj.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    calif.
    Posts
    213
    I agree with all above---leave the screen alone---I have EFILIVE Workshop (unlimited tunes) and when i went thru their training program--they told us that the stock screened MAF is good for 500 HP----A MAF in the newer LS engines that came screenless were callibrated for it being that way--I took the screen out of my '98 C5 to experiment and the LTFT's went nuts --over 25% at some points and it thru a code---It wouldn't shift properly either.I think you could callibrate one to make it work--but from what I've read there is only 3 HP there anyway--and it is not worth the days on logging and pasting work you would have to do to get that little of a gain.Having a data logger really dispells many of the myths about "free horsepower mods" as it shows exactly whats happening with airflow when you do someting

  9. #9
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by tblu92 View Post
    I agree with all above---leave the screen alone---I have EFILIVE Workshop (unlimited tunes) and when i went thru their training program--they told us that the stock screened MAF is good for 500 HP----A MAF in the newer LS engines that came screenless were callibrated for it being that way--I took the screen out of my '98 C5 to experiment and the LTFT's went nuts --over 25% at some points and it thru a code---It wouldn't shift properly either.I think you could callibrate one to make it work--but from what I've read there is only 3 HP there anyway--and it is not worth the days on logging and pasting work you would have to do to get that little of a gain.Having a data logger really dispells many of the myths about "free horsepower mods" as it shows exactly whats happening with airflow when you do someting
    TRUE that on the LTFT!!! I wasn't going to get to descriptive. It seems to end up confusing some.

  10. #10
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    31
    Posts
    821

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    Don't do it. You might be fine doing it. But you will not gain anything so why fix it if it ain't broke?

  11. #11
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Well, mine was already out when I got my car. I am getting it tuned very soon. Will it make it more difficult for them to tune my car? Will they be able to tune it?

  12. #12
    Member jmhvenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Age
    31
    Posts
    821

    Silver
    2002 Z28

    The purpose of the screen is to smooth out the airflow. It should not effect it too much, when you port it it can cause some more difficult problems.

  13. #13
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Well, mine was already out when I got my car. I am getting it tuned very soon. Will it make it more difficult for them to tune my car? Will they be able to tune it?
    Yes an experianced tuner should be able to fix the calibration. Don't get me wrong it will take MORE time to get that fixed rather than if he was just outting a tune. It can be done it takes some people more time than others. Just make sure you tell them about your maf being modified before they begin the tune.


  14. #14
    2004 HEAD/CAM CTS-V 9t8z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    doylestown, Pa
    Posts
    6,818

    SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

    Thanx

  15. #15
    Nitrous Tuner LS2Tuner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    WestCoast AZ-CALI
    Posts
    4,763

    Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

    No problem glad to help.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MAF question
    By kosovobandit in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 01:45 PM
  2. Question about MAF ends???
    By Blown Interceptor in forum Western Members
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 06:11 AM
  3. MAF sensor Question
    By J'stransam in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
  4. LS1 MAF end question?????
    By tx77015ls1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2005, 07:46 AM
  5. question on MAF wires
    By FastAssZ in forum External Engine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 07:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •