Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: maf

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

maf

removing maf screen good idea or bad? is there much to gain?

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

bad...disturbs the airflow over the sensors and causes false readings

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

thanks for the info.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hah...what false readings? Disturbs air flow? Not to sound too much like an a-hole, but this is like one of the top ten arguments i have read on the boards.

personally if you want to know what happens then take two MAFs to a lab where you can have them tested. kind of like on the science channel when they put a dye in the air and use hi speed cameras. Why? because unless you have a PhD in fluid dynamics and study MAFs in your sleep. This is about the only way you will know. Theory is one thing, but a test is always in order to make sure the data supports the theory. Shoot even if you have a PhD you would agree a test is always in order vs. the flapin of da gums.

I ask just one question. Find any car or truck with a MAF setup, cuz not all cars use a MAF, and ask them if the manufacturer put a screen in front.

Does it stop debris, sure it does. Does it stop all debris, dunno but i say not likely.

Do i have mine? No, but that's because i used my MAF housing as a test run of my port and polish skills. I tried removing the middle material without popping the screen. I did pretty good until i slipped and whacked the screen, oops. After a couple of Dremel oops, i decide just to piss in the wind.

do i watch ebay for a good deal on a used MAF, you betcha. If it wasn't for my practice run of port and polish would i leave the screen in, sure, cuz i'm lazy and no sense messing with something if it ain't broke.

I haven't noticed any ill affects and no engine codes. The only thing i have left to do is get in there and do a good wet sand on it. I have it at 120 grit sanding, and not very smooth.

to each his own, GL

It's been argued here many times.

There are many known F-body shops around that prefer to remove the screen,,,but they also tell you at the same time they recommend a custom tune for the car.

I know when I was contemplating a custom tune, the local shop told me some things to prepare the car before I brought it over, and one of them was to remove the MAF screen.

If you remove the screen you have to have the MAF tables changed to compensate for the change in airflow.

Simply just removing the screens and doing nothing else most likely won't net you anything, and sometimes it will cause drivability problems.
    A "TUNE" is necessary.

My advice would be to wait,,,,and when you are ready for a custom tune ask the shop if they would prefer the MAF screen removed or not.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

sounds like good advice. like i said i only did it cuz i banged up the screen testing out my hady work with a dremel. yeah i know, who tests out there dremel skills on MAF housings, lol.

like i have said before, when in doubt don't do anything. I would rather have a fun stock car than a broken mod car. but that's just me.

did i notice any difference after, nah. but i sure as heck made a big dusty mess in the garage, boy it sure was fun, yee haw.

i say don't do it. think of other ways to make ur baby go fast.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Damaged my screen

I too damaged my screen attempting to remove it for P&P. It was torn so left it off (in trash). Didn't want any small wires going down the intake. I have had zero problems as a result and many miles.
    2000 Z28 M6, SLP Lid, SLP Bellows, SLP UD,
    P&P Maf, TB By-Pass, PS Shorties, LS6 Intake, FAST 78mm TB, Hooker CB, Hurst Billet, Front Tower Brace, small 218/218....527/527....114 cam.
    337rwhp/348rwtq

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you hang out here long enough you'll eventually hear the problems people *can* have by doing this mod. The MAF reads airflow but that airflow is referenced by the tranny on a4 cars also.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    if you hang out here long enough you'll eventually hear the problems people *can* have by doing this mod. The MAF reads airflow but that airflow is referenced by the tranny on a4 cars also.
    Huh? I'm an A4. whatchoo talkin bout willis?

Orion, what's this you say about A4s reference by the tranny? I'm not sure I flow you cuz i'm lost and ignorant.

Navy
    2000 Z28 M6

Run it

Run it like you just highjacked it

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

lol...yeah i did that once pulling onto the highway. in about two seconds a nice highway patrol man was quickly getting in behind me. i quickly slid over from left to right lane and smiled as he pulled along side. he was ticked and punch keys on that laptop, must have been running my plate. thank god Jesus loves camaros, cuz he let me go with an ugly rolling look.

any way, i wonder what Orion was talking about. Hmm...hope get posts more info cuz i am sure curious.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the pcm calculates torque based on airflow which then determines line pressures for shifts. If you screw with the MAF then you also screw with line pressures. How much does it take to make a noticeable difference?? I have no idea, Frost would know more about that than I do. I just know the maf is referenced for shift pressures and jacking with the maf can effect shift pressures with the a4's.

Blue
    2000 t/a

no wonder my car takes a long time to down shift from 4th to 3rd since i did that mod!

Ya this computer sure is goofy how things are intertwined and reference off of each other. Makes it a pain to figure things out and repair.

I say rip all this computer crap out and put a carb on it

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

the pcm calculates torque based on airflow which then determines line pressures for shifts. If you screw with the MAF then you also screw with line pressures. How much does it take to make a noticeable difference?? I have no idea, Frost would know more about that than I do. I just know the maf is referenced for shift pressures and jacking with the maf can effect shift pressures with the a4's.
    wow, never knew that. i haven't noticed a difference. of course mine is still 120 grit sanding rough, so plenty of not so "smooth" air flow. of course the rest of my car is bone stock except that air lid. well thanks Orion that gives me something to think about and more to learn.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you can tune for the maf then it really wouldn't be a big deal, you just want reported airflow = to actual airflow.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

if you can tune for the maf then it really wouldn't be a big deal, you just want reported airflow = to actual airflow.
    let me guess, this would require something like HPTuner, and a brain, right?

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    let me guess, this would require something like HPTuner, and a brain, right?
    Yep

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

well at least i can look on the bright side. HPTuner is not that much more in cost than a hand held. Well that's if I understood the pricing on their site.

You are correct. I looked long and hard at handhelds,,,,not so much for price reasons,,,but because like you mentioned,,,,I myself am not that computer savy,,,and it scared the hell outa me.

But I figured I would keep the car for the long term, and if I wanted to really play with it I needed a good software package.

HPtuner has a great website with good tech support as well, that actually got a beginner like me up and running, which is a feat in itself,,,really.

There are many other benefits to it, like scanning all engine functions, all transmission functions, gauge displays etc...this all helps to diagnose codes to really narrow down a problem. It's a great tool to have.

There is a ton for me still to learn. I haven't begun to tap into everything, but I know it's there. It's the best money I have ever spent on the car.

Sorry to babble. Cheers.

Thread Information