Thread: LT's w/o egr?

silver
    1999 Z-28 camaro

LT's w/o egr?

okay. I am looking into getting my LT's I'm finding most of them have no EGR provisions, I can understand why. What do I do about the intake manifold EGR ports, and I'd suppose I need to tune the car to shut off EGR? also what is this AIR? Once again, I'm a diesel guy. Sooooooo....I don't work with any of this stuff. it's been at least 7 years since Iv'e played around with this stuff ( at Universal Tech Inst. )

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

You can get a new intake without EGR or plug the hole. Most people just plug it with a freeze plug. I upgraded to an LS6 intake which has no EGR provision.

The AIR system injects air into the exhaust to help the cats until they are warmed up.

Removing them will not affect how the car runs but will throw a code and make the Check engine light come on. This can be tuned out by TunedByFrost.com

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

If you don't care about smog, or are lucky enough to not worry, get rid of it. That being said if you buy new you can choose if you want the provisions or not.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ESBdieselcam View Post
    okay. I am looking into getting my LT's I'm finding most of them have no EGR provisions, I can understand why. What do I do about the intake manifold EGR ports, and I'd suppose I need to tune the car to shut off EGR? also what is this AIR? Once again, I'm a diesel guy. Sooooooo....I don't work with any of this stuff. it's been at least 7 years since Iv'e played around with this stuff ( at Universal Tech Inst. )
    depending on the brand most have an emissions version of their headers. If you get some without the egr and air ports you can use a 1 3/8" expandable freeze plug that you can buy at any parts store to plug the intake hole. Paint it black and it'll barely show up.
    You should get a tune if you delete the egr and air not only for the codes but also there's a timing adder table that needs zero'd out. Frost here does mail order tunes for $125 and can take care of all that stuff.

SOM
    2002 SS

Cool so the ls6 intake doesnt need to be plugged? My 01 has the ls6 manifold but How then does the egr get in there? I'll be getting frost to tune mine once I slap on the non egr headers

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

If you have a factory ls6 you do not have EGR going into the top of it.

silver
    1999 Z-28 camaro

Ok, thanks guys, thats all pretty handy. If i get rid of AIR, is there a belt drive smog pump, like the old ones? if so, is there a kit, or belt to get around it? how much is an LS6 manifold, and where can i get one?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Ok, thanks guys, thats all pretty handy. If i get rid of AIR, is there a belt drive smog pump, like the old ones? if so, is there a kit, or belt to get around it? how much is an LS6 manifold, and where can i get one?
    nope, it's electric and behind the drivers side headlight. There's an access panel that allows you to get to it from underneath. After you remove the pump pull the fuse and relay so the system isn't still hot....that may keep you from getting a hard to find short down the road somewhere.

silver
    1999 Z-28 camaro

ahhhh, so THATS the stupid friggin noise when i start the car. sounds like, of all things, an air pump!

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

ahhhh, so THATS the stupid friggin noise when i start the car. sounds like, of all things, an air pump!
    Yeah, look into Pacesetter's or a SS LT's with a texas speed Y. Both of those LT's have EGR provisions. All you would need then is a tuning out of the rear O2's. This way you don't HAVE to disregard your emissions equipment. Just a suggestion. I have a 98 LS1 w/EGR and that's the set up I'm going with.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

To the OP, these 4 threads should answer every question you have about LT's

Gen Info
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126089

Install Guide
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117548

My Install
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122035

Parts Review for Pacesetter LT No EGR and TS&P ORY
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122675

Thread Information