Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LT1 vs LS1

This is a discussion on LT1 vs LS1 within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; stock 97' a4 is around 240-250rwhp stock 98' a4 is around 270-280rwhp dyno numbers seem to vary greatly in our ...

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

stock 97' a4 is around 240-250rwhp

stock 98' a4 is around 270-280rwhp

dyno numbers seem to vary greatly in our cars

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    A 1997 LT1 Z28 came stock with about 285 horsepower, while the 1998 LS1 Z28 put 305 hp through the same drivetrain, which isn't even close to a 60 wheel-horsepower difference. 305 horsepower from any LT1 is easy as pie, with more horsepower to come from intake and programming mods, and even superchargers, turbochargers and nitrous are available in kits for the LT1. And since MSD now makes a high-performance replacement for the Opticrap, if you can find an LT1 car at a good price, I say go for it!
    These are factory rated horsepower differences and almost everyone knows that the LS1's in the Camaro/Firebirds are underrated and almost identical to the Corvette's output especially the last two years and the vette is rated at 350 HP. On the dyno tests it is usually a good 30 to 50 HP difference depending on the vehicles, the abuse and what type of dyno.......I bought a 94Z28 in 2001 with 90k on it for 4400 dollars. I would say that it is not a good deal and I would also say get a 98 or newer for the extra 2k$. Just my opinion though.........

blk
    ?

so what exacltly mod wize would my 94 lt1 need to net 400 rwhp...could i do this naturally aspirated and stock heads.......my 02 z28 made 430 rwhp cam and bolt ons only.....

You could not do it NA unless you modify cam and either heads or upgrade the bottom end. IMHO

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    so what exacltly mod wize would my 94 lt1 need to net 400 rwhp...could i do this naturally aspirated and stock heads.......my 02 z28 made 430 rwhp cam and bolt ons only.....
    Im sure it can be done N/A but itll take a lot of work. You will definatley need to upgrade the H/C and need some great tuning. My friends 96 z/28 has every bolt on you could possible think of and managed to make 337rwhp, i was there when we dynoed it. Is it because it was one of the weaker LT1's?? Was the dyno screwed up?? Do the manufactorers over rate their parts?? Dont know, but its kinda sad to put thousands of dollars into mods and only net about 50-60 rwhp. Where as his brother laid down 322 with just a lid and cat back in his 02ss, so you can just pic what will happen once he gets the rest of the bolt ons and H/C. Iv got nothing against LT1's there great motors. But honeslty they respond nothing like LS1's to mods. I dont like it when ppl start these threads. Most of the times there wanting to start a flame war.

black
    2000 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Im sure it can be done N/A but itll take a lot of work. You will definatley need to upgrade the H/C and need some great tuning. My friends 96 z/28 has every bolt on you could possible think of and managed to make 337rwhp, i was there when we dynoed it. Is it because it was one of the weaker LT1's?? Was the dyno screwed up?? Do the manufactorers over rate their parts?? Dont know, but its kinda sad to put thousands of dollars into mods and only net about 50-60 rwhp. Where as his brother laid down 322 with just a lid and cat back in his 02ss, so you can just pic what will happen once he gets the rest of the bolt ons and H/C. Iv got nothing against LT1's there great motors. But honeslty they respond nothing like LS1's to mods. I dont like it when ppl start these threads. Most of the times there wanting to start a flame war.
    every bolt on with a stock motor or are we talking heads cam too? if its not head cam id say thats not too bad

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by got-a-ls1 View Post
    every bolt on with a stock motor or are we talking heads cam too? if its not head cam id say thats not too bad
    No all the internals are left untouched. Its not bad, but every person i run into with an LT1 says "my car isnt far behind ur when it comes to making power" From the looks of it it looks like it is. Closing in on $2K worth of parts, you only managed to make about 50rwhp??

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

This is an article from the Dec. 2005 GM High Tech Perforrmance

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Let me know if this is coming out blurry. I will fix it. Sorry, I couldn't make it any bigger. You old guys will just have to put on your thick frames.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 02-26-2007 at 03:37 PM.

blk
    ?

that was an old magazine...it was like(there are no blowers for the ls1) times have def. changed....danm im really not worried about boltons with the lt1...im going to do heads cam and intake after i do bolt ons...but im not familiar with lt1 dyno numbers h/c/i..i will search

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by stunna-shades View Post
    that was an old magazine...it was like(there are no blowers for the ls1) times have def. changed....danm im really not worried about boltons with the lt1...im going to do heads cam and intake after i do bolt ons...but im not familiar with lt1 dyno numbers h/c/i..i will search
    Yeah I know, I was hopping everyone would kind of look past some of their statements, such as the aftermarket industry for the LS1. The LT and LS both have enourmos potential.

blk
    ?

im just worried about my lt1's near future..i mean all stock...i dont want to get pulled by a danm flowmaster mustang

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Damn those numbers dont lie good article

Driving as fast as I can dafaic's Avatar

Silver
    97 TA M6

Great Article specially to show real horsepower differences. 220 versus 277 good to know. I also know that my car with said mods on factory tune dyno'd 351 at the wheels with a malfunctioning opti per previous owner and yes I have the dyno sheet. He also managed 414 with a 75 wet shot. The tune made a huge difference and after the 4.10's, msd opti, msd coil get installed off to the dyno it goes to see what it really is doing now! 400 at the wheels na is not un heard of specially with newer better designed cams.

The fact is also that on the track the 1/8 mile for the 2 stock is very similar. 1/4 mile times are about 1/2 second different.

We had a similar discussion on the lt1 section I would definitly take an lt1 over a ls1 that was totalled. If i was in the market for an $8k car i would look for an ls1 first but would have no quams buying a $5-$6k lt1 dropping the other $2-3K into it and blowing away many ls1's.

I got a buddy with a 414rwhp ls1 and he'll tells people all the time how fast my car is. Everytime I drop by he starts telling one of his friends about this sick lt1 that really runs!

SQR in benbrook has a 600rwhp lt1 impala na.
    Click for full size
    lt4 hot cam, l.e. heads, gold 1.6rr, hooker lts, 3"ypipe, hookercatback, no cats, subframes, b&m ripper, k&n cai, msd6a-coil-opti, udp, tr55 g's, ta girdle, 4.10's, boxed control arms, Madz28 tune, specstg3, alum. elbow. No traction

Silver
    97 TA M6

Stunna only gt you got to worry about would be the new one 05+. 99-04 gt's are rated at 260-265...I had a 05 mustang with the v6 and it smoked a 98 gt several times...I've driven a 99+ gt with bolt-ons and a hpipe exhaust and it was pretty decent. Never driven a stock lt1 though so i wouldn't know what that is like.

And I had a typhoon that ran 13.9's-14.1's in the 1/4 and smoked several 99+ gt's and ran neck to neck with a couple 96-98 cobras...Stock lt1's run 13.9-14.1 stock so that should give ya an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dafaic View Post
    Stunna only gt you got to worry about would be the new one 05+. 99-04 gt's are rated at 260-265...I had a 05 mustang with the v6 and it smoked a 98 gt several times...I've driven a 99+ gt with bolt-ons and a hpipe exhaust and it was pretty decent. Never driven a stock lt1 though so i wouldn't know what that is like.

And I had a typhoon that ran 13.9's-14.1's in the 1/4 and smoked several 99+ gt's and ran neck to neck with a couple 96-98 cobras...Stock lt1's run 13.9-14.1 stock so that should give ya an idea.
    A v6 05 mustang beat a fucking 98 gt? JESUS!

A typhoon? Lucky bastard, I love those suvs...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Typhoon's and Syclone's are on my list for "gotta have"!

Silver
    97 TA M6

YEP THE 05 V6 IS RATED AT 210. (caps off)
    The 94-95 5.0 gt was rated at 210
    the 96-98 Gt was rateed at like 215
    The 05 has a much better drivetrain and suspension not to mention the 5speed tranny which was so sweet.

And I had a love/hate relationship with the Typhoon. I paid $10k for it spent $6k on it and sold it for $8500. Was a learning experience but still to this day people in the fast car community here know me as the guy that use to have a typhoon. Cause it ran the streets and everyone knew it was fast...Thats the funny part it really wasn't. My lt1 would stomp a mud hole in it's ass once it got traction. While the typhoon would have been long gone waiting for me to catch up. I beat a 11second corvette off the line and damn near the 60ft mark. That was a fun nite. I had the whole damn crowd cheering me on...

Anyway the mustangs are not all what people make them out to be. I have yet to see any mustang GT including the 05+ run better than a 14...

I took my 05 V6 with 4.10's flash tuner, and cai and ran a 15.1 flat while there was a guy there in a 05 GT running 15.4's.

I can't knock to much though. I went to the track 2 days after I got this car knowing the car runs 12's and I could only best 14.1. I hadn't driven a stick in 4 years, never raced a stick in my life. That 14.10 was at 102mph i think. My first run was a 16.3 at 96 mph. That was bad my cell phone flew outta the pocket landed in the shifter blocked me from hitting second and missed third. I hot lapped the next one and ran a 14.5 then the 14.1 and the track closed for the year. Not to mention these suck as Auroa Tires that have no traction what soever and I peeled out past the 60ft mark.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

"Stomp a mudd hole in its ass" Thats awesome!

When you say you spent $6K on the typhoon, was that in mods, repairs, one more than the other?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information