Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LT1 radiator in an LS1??

This is a discussion on LT1 radiator in an LS1?? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; awww crap, i didnt get a belt.....the one on the car looks brand new, you can still see the part ...

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

awww crap, i didnt get a belt.....the one on the car looks brand new, you can still see the part number very clearly? i just put on a new idle tensioner and a new a/c tensioner. i have the cooling fans out for extra room and because i was putting plumbers tape on the tranny lines going into the radiator, they were leaking. Do you guys think the plumbers tape will work? I'll get a new belt when i get out of class later..... also can i start the car with the cooling fans removed so i can see if the tranny lines are still leaking?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    awww crap, i didnt get a belt.....the one on the car looks brand new, you can still see the part number very clearly? i just put on a new idle tensioner and a new a/c tensioner. i have the cooling fans out for extra room and because i was putting plumbers tape on the tranny lines going into the radiator, they were leaking. Do you guys think the plumbers tape will work? I'll get a new belt when i get out of class later..... also can i start the car with the cooling fans removed so i can see if the tranny lines are still leaking?
    by plumbers tape do you mean white teflon tape? some have different definitions for plumbers tape. if you do mean teflon tape, it may work for minor thread damage, but if it persists, i would take a closer look at the fittings in the radiator. I know this contradicts what i said earlier, but if your belt looks fairly new, id stick it back on just to see if the tensioners are quiet now. as far as starting the car without the fans, you can do that, but be quite careful as to not let the car run too long, which im sure you already knew that.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

thanks in advance for the time......i know its long.

yeah i was refering to the white teflon tape.......i didnt have time to get the belt yet but after i got the tranny line issue resolved i fired her up and she sounded a lot quieter than it did before but there is still a squeak when the engine is cold that goes away about 2 minutes after the car gets to operating temp. so i think i fixed one squeak and now i hear another......this squeak sounds like its coming from the front center of the car??? like maybe where the tranny connects to the driveshaft..... idk....i poked around the top of the engine with my stethascope thingy and all sounded normal in the engine...so im hoping its nothing internal? so wat should i do next? oh and there is this slight thud sometimes when the car downshifts (its an auto). ive had a brocken tranny mount and that made a thud when you hit the gas, this thud happens when you let off the gas and the car downshifts....... could it be driveshaft joints/? causing both of these issues??

pewter
    99 trans am

Could possibly be tranny mount. I have that before too. But also could be a few other things. Like u-joints, or maybe rear end gettin weak. It's a weak point in these cars.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    Could possibly be tranny mount. I have that before too. But also could be a few other things. Like u-joints, or maybe rear end gettin weak. It's a weak point in these cars.
    im gonna change the tranny mount and then take the car to a differntial shop and have them look it over.......

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Just wanted to update you guys on the squeak issue...... after changing the a/c tensioner pulley, idler tensioner pulley and both of the belts the squeak is gone!...thanks guys

.....now im on to other problems; the tranny mount, new water pump (mines leaking, cant see where from thought), rear end?

pewter
    99 trans am

Just wanted to update you guys on the squeak issue...... after changing the a/c tensioner pulley, idler tensioner pulley and both of the belts the squeak is gone!...thanks guys

.....now im on to other problems; the tranny mount, new water pump (mines leaking, cant see where from thought), rear end?
    if you want a firmer feeling shift from your transmission, i recommend getting an "energy suspensions" polyurethane mount from autozone for $30....it makes a major difference in feelin the power you put to the street...downside is you feel more vibrations from the engine, but its not a big deal. plus it lasts longer than a stock style mount.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

I forgot where i read it but i think i read that it isnt good to use a polyurethane mount in one spot unless you were using them all around (motor ect.....) do you know if there is any truth behind this? because i changed tranny mounts in a 1995 z28 that i had damn near every other day lol.......I definitely dont wanna be doing that in this z.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

+ 1 on doing them all at once

pewter
    99 trans am

I forgot where i read it but i think i read that it isnt good to use a polyurethane mount in one spot unless you were using them all around (motor ect.....) do you know if there is any truth behind this? because i changed tranny mounts in a 1995 z28 that i had damn near every other day lol.......I definitely dont wanna be doing that in this z.
    i never had a problem with my motor mounts so i cant honestly say yes or no....but if others recommend it then it couldnt hurt to change them all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information