Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

LS7 intake manifold

I have a 99 Z28. I was looking to do an LS6 intake swap. A guy just told me I could do an LS7 intake swap ( gm part #12569093) and that it is just like the fast manifold, but cheaper. Does this manifold offer as much of a performance gain as the LS6? It has a 90mm throttle body opening, would it be alright to use my stock throttle body?

One other question, can you make a mount for the egr (tap into) on the intake manifolds without factory EGR - the 2000-2002 LS6's and LS7's?

Thanks!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I read an article last month that stated the LS7 intake was wider than the other LSx intakes due to taller heads on the LS7. I have no first hand experience so don't go by what I say but I would research it before buying one.
    I would also look at the SLP LS6 intake as it already has the EGR provision in it. I just ditched the EGR system altogether but I also don't have E-check's where I live.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by BowtieFever
    I have a 99 Z28. I was looking to do an LS6 intake swap. A guy just told me I could do an LS7 intake swap ( gm part #12569093) and that it is just like the fast manifold, but cheaper. Does this manifold offer as much of a performance gain as the LS6? It has a 90mm throttle body opening, would it be alright to use my stock throttle body?

One other question, can you make a mount for the egr (tap into) on the intake manifolds without factory EGR - the 2000-2002 LS6's and LS7's?

Thanks!
    See this Thread:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16186

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan
    Did you happen to catch all of the errors in that article? I caught a couple right away. The first article in the mag had an error in it. It stated the f-body hasn't been made in 7 years. I wasn't impressed with that mag at all and that's probably the last issue I'll be buying.

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    Did you happen to catch all of the errors in that article? I caught a couple right away. The first article in the mag had an error in it. It stated the f-body hasn't been made in 7 years. I wasn't impressed with that mag at all and that's probably the last issue I'll be buying.
    Yes, there were a few glitches, but I think it's a new publication. I'll give them time to get the kinks out before I toss them in the fireplace. New mag, green editors, learning curve, we'll see.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I wonder if it's just old school guys that are just learning efi or something? I mean they did a full spread on LSx intakes and pointed out the "oxygen sensors" underneath the intake and said the hole for the egr was for the a.i.r. system.

Navy Blue
    ls1 trans am

My car shop at home said it won't fit go with the LS6 or ls2 manifold

Red & Dk Gray
    2002 WS6, '08 G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion
    I wonder if it's just old school guys that are just learning efi or something? I mean they did a full spread on LSx intakes and pointed out the "oxygen sensors" underneath the intake and said the hole for the egr was for the a.i.r. system.
    Yea, I love that one. Well at least I really know where the O2 Sensors go now, just be a bitch to pull the intake! I guess those are secondary spark plugs in the exhaust then. . . . . .Hmmmm.

Well at least they were consistent, they miss identified the LS2/LS7 Knock sensor on the side of the block as O2 as well.

Don't forget that according to them the LS7 features 4 Bolt Mains instead of 6, guess the cross bolts don't count. . . .

Makes you wonder who actually writes the articles. Surely not the mechanics doing the job. You would hope they have a clue!

But, thats the way some of these pop-up outa nowhere tech pubs are these days. Hire some starving reporter who is clueless in the area covered. They watch and interview the techs doing the job, write the article, and hope they got it right! You would at least think the editors would catch the errors, hell that's their job! Maybe they got yanked out of the same unemployment line.

Oh well, maybe one of the real magazines will pick-up the ideas and write accurate and factual info. I like the idea of the spotters guide, but after reading all the errors there and in the other articles, how can we be sure of the accuracy of their list of parts interchangeability.

More questions than answers.

Navy Blue
    1999 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by JehalinTA
    My car shop at home said it won't fit go with the LS6 or ls2 manifold

Then I'd stop going to that shop.

Thread Information