Blog Entries

BLACK
    2001 CAMARO Z/28

Thumbs up Ls6 oil valley swap 01 z

Can anyone tell me if i need to do some cutting on my block. I have an 01 Z with the LS6 intake. Bought the stock one, but think im liking the valley cover swap better what do yall think!

Also anybody have the part numbers in handy?

Valley cover #

Hose # if needed

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Are you talking about the LS6 Valley Cover Tray Mod?

LS6 VCT (Valley Cover tray mod) - Some like it some don't. This is not a performance mod but is more of a function mod. It does help get excess oil out of the intake. It deletes the PCV tubing and puts the PCV under the VCT and moves the outlet port to the front of the engine underneath the Throttle Body. It moves the PCV away from a direct source of oil (valve covers) and moves it underneath the VCT. It still relives the crank case pressure, just doesn’t force as much oil into the PCV.

This mod cost about $58-$75 for the VCT and about 2-3 hrs of time if you need to notch the block.

I'm adding this disclaimer.

ONE MORE VERY IMPORTANT THING YOU SHOULD KNOW: If you have a non LS6 block - all LS1 yrs 98 to 01 (most 01's have the LS1 block, some time in mid production they started using the LS6). In 02 all are LS6 blocks. Having a LS1 block requires you to notch the block. This is something that has risk to motor if not done properly. Metal shavings from the notching can be dropped into the motor. Doing this mod is at your own risk.

^^^^^
    With this said I have done this mod. I say the above disclaimer because some have tried this recently and are now having to take their motor apart to flush out metal shavings. It happens. What I did when I did mine was treat it as a surgical procedure. I covered everything that was not getting notched. I used tape on the cylinder heads, I stuffed rags on the valley I then used newspaper and tape to cover the rags and then a large piece of plastic. As I made my cuts I had a friend used a shop vac picking up 90% of the dust and all of the shavings. Prior to removing I ran the shop vac over the plastic to pick up anything I could several times. I also did an oil change immediately after everything was put back together and a test drive to make sure I got any metal dust that might have fallen into the motor. It may sound very anal but I am 100% sure I didn't get any shavings in the motor that could have destroyed my motor.

In these two threads you should have the part #'s you need.

Here is how you can do it:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f63/ls6-va...r-pics-145557/

Here is info about it:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/explain...ct-mod-156010/

Blog Entries

BLACK
    2001 CAMARO Z/28

I bought the original replacement part, should i do the mod, since i would be taking of the intake to make sure the rear of the hose assembly seats right on the grommet for the original cover. And where exactly does all this blow by oil sit that this mod is needed? is it directly behind the TB in the intake?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

read the second thread and it will explain the differences between the OEM and the LS6 VCT

Thread Information