Ls6?

This is a discussion on Ls6? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I read somewhere in this forum that to find if you have an LS6 block, you need to look behind ...

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Ls6?

I read somewhere in this forum that to find if you have an LS6 block, you need to look behind the drivers side head for 1189 to be stamped on it.

HOW THE HELL DO YOU SEE IT???

If I have an 01' T/A I can assume it has the LS6 intake with no EGR, but...does this mean I have LS6 heads or not?

In other words, if I have an LS1 block, then it's just the LS6 intake and not the LS6 heads right?

But...if I have the LS6 block, does it come with the LS6 intake and LS6 heads and cam or...just the intake.

What is the difference between the two heads?
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-06-2007 at 10:54 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

The numbers you're looking for are 12561168 on the drivers side. Use a mirror or find someone that can read braille and have them feel back there.
    In 01 all f-bodies got the LS6 intake and no EGR but you still have LS1 heads. The LS6 heads came on the LS6 engines and flow better than the LS1 heads.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

find someone that can read braille and have them feel back there.

LMAO...really, that's a good idea, I'll grab some blind guy...
    "C'mere you...feel my friggin' head and tell me what it says."

Bet he'll be surprised hearin that.

So if I do per chance have the LS6 block, then I would have the LS6 heads to boot, very good, but nowwwww...would I have an LS6 cam in there or not?

This is like a friggin raffle ticket or lottery or sumthin, I could be sittin on a whole different engine.

So in the mirror I would see 86116521? hehehehee

So it's 1168 not 1189, see and I was ready to toss the whole engine.
    In the words of the immortal Jimi Hendrix, "Now if a six...turned out to be nine, I don't mind...I don't mind."

But in this case Jimi...I would.

Don't mind me...it's late.
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-06-2007 at 11:37 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

No, no matter what block you have you still just have LS1 heads. It's 1168. I would also like to be there when you tell a blind guy to "feel your head". Should get good after that point. Be careful if he agrees before knowing what you're talking about.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

So...no mo' flo'?

No heads...no cam?

All I get is the block? Awww man. This lottery sucks now.

GM mofo's gimme no mo flo'
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-06-2007 at 11:40 PM.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

from what i understand you have the ls6 bottom end which has slightly more compression, but a smaller cam. This allows gm to remove the egr. But you do have the ls6 intame which made up for the smaller cam. I personally wish my car was the 2001, 2002 cause all ya need is a good cam to produce great power with other bolt ons of course.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Well, I've got Dynamaxx headers and Borla exhaust, a 3600 stall and shift kit, and an MTI lid box, was tuned after that.

I don't know what the RWHP is though, so I was thinkin, before I did anything else, I should prolly start upgrading the suspension.
    But I guess w/o knowing the RWHP I don't know how far I have to go with the suspension b4 I can safely upgrade the engine, I guess the more the better.

So if you get a bigger cam...do you then need an EGR?

Who do you think makes the best boxed subframe connectors, or are they all about = ?

Anyone know what my rear gear ratio should be? Or were there options even if you had ordered WS6??? Always wondered that.
    Last edited by {FzS}BlacKMagicK; 02-07-2007 at 07:45 AM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    from what i understand you have the ls6 bottom end which has slightly more compression, but a smaller cam. This allows gm to remove the egr. But you do have the ls6 intame which made up for the smaller cam. I personally wish my car was the 2001, 2002 cause all ya need is a good cam to produce great power with other bolt ons of course.
    01 & 02 had better manifols also. But, second off all, dude you got a bigger cam than an 01 & 02. Slap headers and a LS6 intake on there, and HOLY
    S#$T, you will be suprised. Just putting an LS6 intake on will wake that car up.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

check the heads front corner (usually pass side head) and youll see 241 stamped into the head... these are the Better of the LS1 heads (vs 806 & 853)
    the LS6 heads (243 casting) only came on the ZO6

there were a few freak 2002's that apparently had the wrong engines installed from the factory... hence some guys running 12.9's & faster BONE STOCK

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

So if you get a bigger cam...do you then need an EGR?

there is absolutely no need to add EGR w/ a bigger cam. That is something the 01's/ 02's never ahve to worry about, because they dont have it. Most earlier year f-body owners delede (eliminiate it anyway) Its basically an emissions thing.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

The LS6 intake, is that a 78mm?

The FAST 90mm, how much of an impovement would that make, is it worth it?

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula M6

well if ur going to do some serious modding - huge cam, high flowing heads, or a bigger cubic inch engine then the fast 90mm would probably be the way to go. Simply for the reason that it allows more airflow resulting in a better breathing engine and more power. However, it is roughly double the price of a new ls6 and that being the case, I would think it better to pick up a used ls6 for 200-300 $ put it in and enjoy the extra 10- 15 hp on a mostly stock internal engine. Then if u so chose to do the big modding in the future swap it out. Thats what i plan to do.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Jon7I2 View Post
    well if ur going to do some serious modding - huge cam, high flowing heads, or a bigger cubic inch engine then the fast 90mm would probably be the way to go. Simply for the reason that it allows more airflow resulting in a better breathing engine and more power. However, it is roughly double the price of a new ls6 and that being the case, I would think it better to pick up a used ls6 for 200-300 $ put it in and enjoy the extra 10- 15 hp on a mostly stock internal engine. Then if u so chose to do the big modding in the future swap it out. Thats what i plan to do.
    I already have the LS6 intake. 01's came with it right?

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    I already have the LS6 intake. 01's came with it right?
    this is correct

dont worry about a 90/90 combo until your dumping more into the car... its necc. to achieve full potential of your set up, similar to a elect. water pump
    when going balls the the wall all the extra small things tend to add up big... but for now ls6 is just fine
    (many guys run LS6 intake/ p&p stock TB / stock MAF 500+ hp)

also dont waste time with porting a LS6 intake... the problem isnt the intake ports but the small 78mm opening

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADDLS1 View Post
    this is correct

dont worry about a 90/90 combo until your dumping more into the car... its necc. to achieve full potential of your set up, similar to a elect. water pump
    when going balls the the wall all the extra small things tend to add up big... but for now ls6 is just fine
    (many guys run LS6 intake/ p&p stock TB / stock MAF 500+ hp)

also dont waste time with porting a LS6 intake... the problem isnt the intake ports but the small 78mm opening
    Makes sense.

I checked the pass. head, it has 241 stamped on it. Would you know what is better about these heads as opposed to the others?

Now if I could only get to see what's behind the drivers side head.

Sorta hopin I have the LS1 'cause if I have the LS6 doesn't it just mean I have a weaker block with some kind of better cooling?

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

the ls6 block is also a slightly darker alum block

stock ls1/ls6 heads in flow order, from worst to best
    806 casting 97-98 ls1
    853 casting 98-00 ls1
    241 casting 01-02 ls1
    243 casting ls6

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

maybe this will help a little

http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/eb040538.htm

alot of good reading

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z-28

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Thank you, very informative, I read all of it.

One of the posters said if there was a "bullseye" between the passenger head and the water pump, it's an LS1. I have a depressed circle in front of the pass. head and behind the water pump, on the block, which I guess could be what he is referring to.

This and if I had a gun to my head I would say the block is the same light aluminum color as the heads, again pointing to an LS1. I guess I'll find out for sure one day. Like when I go to have it resleeved.

Wonder what causes the darker color of the LS6, is it a different metal concentration?

Have a question, what is the thing called that the throttle body cable is going to that says Bosch on it?

Thread Information