red

Arrow LS3 into a 1993 Chevy Sport Truck? Good idea?

Hey, I have a 1993 stepside Sport, 350/5 speed.........I have decided to jump in and throw an LS3 into it w/auto trans(maybe 6 speed auto later),trying to do my homework now and find out more of which accessory drives(bracketry, pulleys, etc.) will interchange with the LS motors from other GM motors, motor mounts available for swaps, oil pan clearance problems, etc., etc. I figured this forum would be the place to find the experienced guys for such help! I appreciate any info and guidance! Thanks
    Wayne

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by dustiebutt View Post
    Hey, I have a 1993 stepside Sport, 350/5 speed.........I have decided to jump in and throw an LS3 into it w/auto trans(maybe 6 speed auto later),trying to do my homework now and find out more of which accessory drives(bracketry, pulleys, etc.) will interchange with the LS motors from other GM motors, motor mounts available for swaps, oil pan clearance problems, etc., etc. I figured this forum would be the place to find the experienced guys for such help! I appreciate any info and guidance! Thanks
    Wayne
    if your not dead set on an ls3 id look at finding a wrecked car or truck with an ls1 for a donor.
    good luck man sounds like a fun project!

red

I've already been looking at salvage vehicles......problem is, I know myself too well.......if I start out w/300 HP, I will end up terin the LS1 apart to bring it up to power of an LS3 . Thought I would save a few steps........

hugger orange

I've already been looking at salvage vehicles......problem is, I know myself too well.......if I start out w/300 HP, I will end up terin the LS1 apart to bring it up to power of an LS3 . Thought I would save a few steps........
    oh ok, i dont know that much about the ls3s, guess il have to do some reading

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    oh ok, i dont know that much about the ls3s, guess il have to do some reading
    430 horsepower stock. Put a cam and headers in and that thing will be at ls-7 status.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    430 horsepower stock. Put a cam and headers in and that thing will be at ls-7 status.
    sweet!

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

It is a waste of time and money installing an engine like that in a 15 year old box, that does not have the aerodynamics, nor the suspension to handle that type of power.

SteveC

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Wayne
    One thing I know for sure nothing interchanges from an SBC to an LS series. All bracketry/pulleys/etc are different. Just grab them off of a GM truck with any LS engine for the bracketry. I would imagine you can check earlier 1999 silverados or escalades for the mounts too, not 100% sure on that. As far as oil pans as long as you stay away from the vette oil pan you should be OK. It would definately be a sweet ride with a bolt on LS3/A6.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    It is a waste of time and money installing an engine like that in a 15 year old box, that does not have the aerodynamics, nor the suspension to handle that type of power.

SteveC
    but the whole point is being different, and trying to overcome the downfalls. ive seen some VERY fast pickup trucks and big boxy cars.

i say go for it!

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

It's more impressive to see a big heavy vehicle run hard.
    Anybody can make a lightweight vehicle fast.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

red

I've had Nova's, Camaro's, GTO's...but I've always had a soft spot for a pickup....the Sport only weighs around 3800 lbs and thats not bad for a full size truck....besides....I would love to see the look on your faces when you try to keep up with me!!!!!!

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

SteveC
    this is the death of hot rodding.

if i was doing a ls3 and had the money i'd get the gm ls376/480 crate motor. 480 hp in a box is sweet.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

How much power are you looking for and what is the budget? It would be easier to get an engine with all the acc. from a wrecked truck. You could always upgrade before you install it.

red

Looking to get 400 to 450 HP in the thing.......want enough for the heavier body so I can have fun on the street and take an occasional trip to the strip.....Steve C doesnt think it's possible(probably never been to drag strip or a road course...Taco Bell maybe), but I plan on putting a tunable suspension/handling upgrades.......checking alot of salvage vehicles but the best stuff is in 2007's and up and the prices aren't cheap.....might start with a GM crate LS3 and gather parts as I go.......

Black
    2007 Silverado

Dude go for it! Check out ls1truck.com they have a section that will tell you exactly what's involved in your swap.
    2007 RCSB 5.3L

hugger orange

Looking to get 400 to 450 HP in the thing.......want enough for the heavier body so I can have fun on the street and take an occasional trip to the strip.....Steve C doesnt think it's possible(probably never been to drag strip or a road course...Taco Bell maybe), but I plan on putting a tunable suspension/handling upgrades.......checking alot of salvage vehicles but the best stuff is in 2007's and up and the prices aren't cheap.....might start with a GM crate LS3 and gather parts as I go.......
    taco bell? lol that's funny.
    sad thing is stock your truck weighs the same or less than the gtos, so that definately not a problem. plus you have a lot of room under it to drop in a nice long set of ladder bars or 4link to aid in traction

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

My friend has an old s10, its heavy as hell. He upgraded the whole suspension and that can hang in the corners with my car. Not as fast but it sticks to road in the twisties

Thread Information