Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Exclamation LS1 Winter Hiberation----------------

Howdyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

I'm over here in Southern California where there is no snow and even barely any rain last year.

I have read in these posts that some of you out East hibernate your LS1 through winter. I believe you do it to avoid sleet underside road salt.

Some of you mentioned changing your oil and disconnecting the battery before covering the vehicle up.

I have a couple questions for you guys:
    I have a TA that is garaged and driven luckily once a week to recharge the battery. Certain times, I may just turn on the engine for 15 minutes and not even drive it for up to 3 weeks. At any rate, I'm finding that the engine will rattle upon acceleration if the vehicle is parked for 3 weeks on end. Worse part about all this is the engine has only 11,000 miles. It's a damn shame. If I work the engine, the rattling does dissipate within a couple hours.

Here are some questions for you if you know the answers:
    1. Do you find your vehicle that way when you take it out of hibernation?
    2. What is the cause for that?
    3. And for those who parked their TA like myself, how often should you really change the oil? I'm currently changing it every 6 months, I'm feeling that I should change it much more often.

Thank you for the replies,
    Mattttttttttttttttttttttttt

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I unhook my battery & headunit, and take them in the basement to keep it warm over the winter, and dont start the car all winter, untill spring when its atleast 60f....and when ALL the salt has been washed away by rain...as far as oil, i change it as needed by miles--every 3k....as far as rattling, mine does run rough after sitting so long

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up The Secondary Vehicle

Thanks for the 411. So I guess rough running is typical after sitting for a long time. What do you mean by the head unit?

Would you say that most East Coast, you included of course, own TAs as their secondary vehicle? By the way, do you guys suspend insurance premiums for the TA while it's in hibernation?

Matttttttttttttttt
    Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    I unhook my battery & headunit, and take them in the basement to keep it warm over the winter, and dont start the car all winter, untill spring when its atleast 60f....and when ALL the salt has been washed away by rain...as far as oil, i change it as needed by miles--every 3k....as far as rattling, mine does run rough after sitting so long

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

im in ohio & i too garage mine typically from october-april/may..last year all i did was replace my custom wheels & tires w/ my stockers,changed the oil,treated the gas tank w/ stabil & filled it up & covered it w/ my car cover.i think i should`ve disconnected the battery thou,as mine died on me while sitting.i would start mine up usually every couple of weeks...& yes i suspend the insurance on mine thru those dates to save $$$$

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Smile Through the Hibernation

I guess that is a pondering question between TA hibernators. Maybe some like yourself would run the engine every couple weeks, while others don't run it at all. Through the 50 degree winter days I have during the winter season over here, that battery loses energy very quickly in 2 weeks. You can't forget that the "alarm" or whatever it is that blinking on the dash is constantly running if you leave in your battery. I'm not sure what that is to this day and haven't bother to figure it out... is it an alarm, an engine cut off sensor or what?

Does that one fill up last you through the hibernation?

Mattttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelinchains View Post
    im in ohio & i too garage mine typically from october-april/may..last year all i did was replace my custom wheels & tires w/ my stockers,changed the oil,treated the gas tank w/ stabil & filled it up & covered it w/ my car cover.i think i should`ve disconnected the battery thou,as mine died on me while sitting.i would start mine up usually every couple of weeks...& yes i suspend the insurance on mine thru those dates to save $$$$

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Angry Seat Holsters

I noticed your had a 1998 TA

I purchased a 2000 TA 4 weeks ago..... having big problems with it... at any rate, do you have the hard plastic backseat holster with the net behind your seat? Mine does not and I have noticed other 2000 with these holsters.

Matttttttttttttttttttt

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

i think the led on the dash is for the factory alarm/keyless entry..i disabled mine & installed a viper5000.like you stated,thats probably why my battery died over last winter..& no i have cloth interior & i dont believe i have the netting on the back of my formy seats although my `88 notchback gta & `91 gta had them.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    I noticed your had a 1998 TA

I purchased a 2000 TA 4 weeks ago..... having big problems with it... at any rate, do you have the hard plastic backseat holster with the net behind your seat? Mine does not and I have noticed other 2000 with these holsters.

Matttttttttttttttttttt
    I'm looking to buy a 2000 too. What sort of problems are you having with it?

And as far as the question at hand, one thing I'll add is that if your ARE going to start it once in a while, make sure it gets fully warmed up to operating temperature before shutting it down.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

hrrmmm good idea on insurance........

white
    2002 z28

also when storing have a fullllll tank imena to the gas cap. some think that empty is the best but it can hurt over time. mmostiure is built up then water, soo nooo. and for the battery get a battery tender. works great on my bike and only 30 bucks. but i dont think stabil is good for your case since you say you drive it one a month. i think thats the min for stabil

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

my gues you have a rough idle is ...well doesnt the computer have to relearn how to idle once the battery is disconnected after...several hours?

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by 2MuchFun View Post
    hrrmmm good idea on insurance........
    I used to do that, but I'd rather have it protected year round. What if the house burned down? Maybe I'm being too anal.

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

homeowners insurance would cover mine in the garage incase of fire..i just suspend like the collision coverage while during winter

Thread Information