Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LS1 vs LS6 block

This is a discussion on LS1 vs LS6 block within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by SScott Why would they put a WEAKER block in the Vette LS-6? Just doesn't make sense to ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SScott View Post
    Why would they put a WEAKER block in the Vette LS-6? Just doesn't make sense to me. Yeah we have the halo chevy vette zo6 top dog hey I know lets put in a weaker block. I could be wrong, whatever.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Why would they put a WEAKER block in the Vette LS-6? Just doesn't make sense to me. Yeah we have the halo chevy vette zo6 top dog hey I know lets put in a weaker block. I could be wrong, whatever.
    Makes sense to me. If the LS6 block does have larger windows for the oil to travel through, that means less metal--therefore, a weaker block. The difference in strength is probably un-measusably minimal.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

just telling you what the concensus is....

the oil bay windows at the bottom of the cylinders are bigger, and some say it weakens the block.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

relax there captain. the only way the halo chevy vette z06 makes more power is through its exhaust,H/C mostly. and of course the pump up in displacement ect. all of the lsx based blocks are pretty much the same. with very little difference. so its not like the ls6 was some special brand new engine from scratch. the created bigger windows for better oil circulation at higer g's since in all reality the z06 isn't a strip car. its a road course car and thats how its suspension and gearing is designed for. so they made a obvious change. bigger windows that tailor towards the 95% of z06 owners that will not bore/stroke and push their block to its structural limit...and instead either keep it lightly modded,stock, or road race it. Its a duh-er that GM would put a block that is weaker due to refinements to improve high speed/G's oil circulation..that help improve the z06's target. so i wouldnt post all around here sscot with a smart ass attitude...instead i'd respectfully ask a question or stfu and listen and learn a thing or 2.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    just telling you what the concensus is....

the oil bay windows at the bottom of the cylinders are bigger, and some say it weakens the block.
    your fine man.

Black
    02 SS #8719

LOL whoa, ok sorry there big guy! If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Doesn't hurt my feelings, just makes me wrong in this instance. Didn't mean to step on any toes.

98' trans am

LOL whoa, ok sorry there big guy! If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Doesn't hurt my feelings, just makes me wrong in this instance. Didn't mean to step on any toes.
    its all good. i apologize too. i came down pretty harsh! truths

Black
    02 SS #8719

Ok I vaguely remember hearing something to the effect that the LS6 blocks were made of stronger metal, or something like that. So if true couldn't that make up for the larger oiling windows?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

theres a weebit of misinformation in here. the ls6 does in fact have windows in the oil galley but it has nothing to do with actual oil circulation as its passageways, pushrods and your oil pump that circulate your oil. these windows were to reduce parasitic loss from the pumping of pistons. pressure relief if you will.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    theres a weebit of misinformation in here. the ls6 does in fact have windows in the oil galley but it has nothing to do with actual oil circulation as its passageways, pushrods and your oil pump that circulate your oil. these windows were to reduce parasitic loss from the pumping of pistons. pressure relief if you will.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

LS6 block is not weaker or stronger than the LS1 block... just because there is less alum doens'ts make it weaker...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    LS6 block is not weaker or stronger than the LS1 block... just because there is less alum doens'ts make it weaker...
    agreed. and i think by the time anyone gets to the point where they are breaking blocks in ls-engines, whether it was an ls1 block or ls6 is irrelevant lol

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

how many base model ls1 cars got the ls6 block. i would think the ss or ws6 would have gotten the very small percentage of them. anyone have the casting numbers handy. my buddy got an 01 z last night and im looking it over for him...

probably wont ever run again

Black
    02 SS #8719

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    how many base model ls1 cars got the ls6 block. i would think the ss or ws6 would have gotten the very small percentage of them. anyone have the casting numbers handy. my buddy got an 01 z last night and im looking it over for him...

probably wont ever run again
    i dont think even GM knows how many, but there is a way to find out if you have one as sscott jus gave the number.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information