Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

LS1 vs LS6 block

This is a discussion on LS1 vs LS6 block within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So I know that some of the '01's and '02's came with LS6 blocks. Is there any performance differences with ...

  1. #1
    Pony Hater UKXK189's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    MN
    Age
    41
    Posts
    195

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

    LS1 vs LS6 block

    So I know that some of the '01's and '02's came with LS6 blocks. Is there any performance differences with those cars and how can you tell if yours is one of them?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rhinohuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    1,460

    Black
    1999 Trans Am

    1168 is the last 4 digits of the LS6 block casting number. I don't think there were any performance differences between the LS1 and LS6 block, except that the LS6 block was supposedly stronger or something.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    Yup, the casting number on the LS6 is 12561168 - driver's side deck, above the transmission flange.

  4. #4
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    the ls6 block had bigger windows for oil circulation at high gs and ect. that is about the gist of things

  5. #5
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    since the ls6 motor was made in mexico, i have some mexican labels on some tape around my motor does that mean i have it

  6. #6
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    i also heard that the ls6 block is darker then the ls1

  7. #7
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i also heard that the ls6 block is darker then the ls1

    I guess it got a tan in mexico.

    There are circles on the front of the block on the flat part under the passenger side head for the LS1 block and none for the LS6 block.

  8. #8
    Senior Member 35thAnniZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,809

    eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    since the ls6 motor was made in mexico, i have some mexican labels on some tape around my motor does that mean i have it
    my block is a wetback

  9. #9
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,753

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    makes no difference

  10. #10
    Senior Member greatwhiteZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    d
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,675

    white
    2002 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    my block is a wetback
    lol, they take our jobs now engine blocks.....

  11. #11
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    makes no difference

  12. #12
    NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    8,036

    383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    the ls6 block had bigger windows for oil circulation at high gs and ect. that is about the gist of things
    Correct answer!!! Wow Shady, you surprise me that you actually know some technical stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    There are circles on the front of the block on the flat part under the passenger side head for the LS1 block and none for the LS6 block.
    Also correct sir.

  13. #13
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Correct answer!!! Wow Shady, you surprise me that you actually know some technical stuff.
    oh rich you know i know tech stuff.

  14. #14
    Member patricksd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    141

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

    I had read on a sticky that there was no performance difference between the LS1 and LS6 block. However (the person who made the sticky) said that some engine builders believe the LS1 block is stronger for build-ups.

    I'll see if I can find the post.

  15. #15
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    28
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I had read on a sticky that there was no performance difference between the LS1 and LS6 block. However (the person who made the sticky) said that some engine builders believe the LS1 block is stronger for build-ups.

    I'll see if I can find the post.

  16. #16
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,753

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    Correct answer!!! Wow Shady, you surprise me that you actually know some technical stuff.


    Blah, blah blah, heard that before.

  17. #17
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,753

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by patricksd View Post
    I had read on a sticky that there was no performance difference between the LS1 and LS6 block. However (the person who made the sticky) said that some engine builders believe the LS1 block is stronger for build-ups.

    I'll see if I can find the post.
    I've heard this before as well. Both have advantages/disadvantages. Like I said before, makes no difference

  18. #18
    Member patricksd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Oceanside, CA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    141

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6 T-Top

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Its on the "other" LS1 forum lol

  19. #19
    no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,463

    Pewter
    2000 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    1168 is the last 4 digits of the LS6 block casting number. I don't think there were any performance differences between the LS1 and LS6 block, except that the LS6 block was supposedly stronger or something.
    weaker actually with the bay to bay oil passages. or so ive heard. no real difference, and i wouldnt go out of my way to find one.

  20. #20
    Member SScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Fairfield
    Posts
    195

    Black
    02 SS #8719

    Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    weaker actually with the bay to bay oil passages. or so ive heard. no real difference, and i wouldnt go out of my way to find one.
    Why would they put a WEAKER block in the Vette LS-6? Just doesn't make sense to me. Yeah we have the halo chevy vette zo6 top dog hey I know lets put in a weaker block. I could be wrong, whatever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS1 to LS6 top end conversion: What Cam?
    By bowe1632 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
  2. Take out LS1 and put in Ls6 Question!!!!!
    By mglangley21 in forum General Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
  3. LS1 into Ls6 Qustions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By mglangley21 in forum General Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 06:40 AM
  4. LS1 shortblock, ls1 heads, ls6 intake, more
    By SVT THIS in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
  5. Looking for a Complete LS1 Or LS6
    By OutToWinPAHC in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 11:07 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •